Best half of Iowa football ever?

ChosenChildren

I have been attending Iowa games for 49 years and I can honesty say that I have never seen an Iowa team play better than the first half of today's game. This was one tremendous coaching job. Iowa played with intensity and passion and just annihilated the #5 team in the nation. It was total domination in every phase. Unbelievable

I have less experience (15 years) but I might agree with you, considering the opponent. I've seen some dominant performances by the Hawks, but not against an 8-0, #5 team!

It was an impressive first half, but MSU was the prime example of what people mean when they use the word "overrated."

Perhaps the best half Iowa has ever played against a worthy opponent came in 1985. It was the week after Iowa's loss to Ohio State in Columbus that cost the Hawks their No. 1 national ranking. Illinois came to Kinnick a 6-point underdog after tying powerful Michigan 3-3 the week before.

Iowa, directed by Chuck Long, led 35-0...after the FIRST quarter, and 49-0...at the HALF.

Illinois had an excellent defense and would go on to a bowl game, but they had no chance that day. Yes, I'd say that was Iowa's best half of football ever, far better than this year's MSU performance, but that wasn't bad, either... :)

I attended that 1985 game against Illinois. That Illinois team finished 6-4-1, and played in a minor bowl. I don't think they were ever ranked in the Top 20. Michigan State was riding high with tremendous offensive numbers and a ton of momentum. Iowa just ripped their lungs out. I think this was the more dominant performance by far. I really think Iowa could have scored 70 points if Ferentz had continued to go full throttle. He did not, which is even more reason to respect this coaching staff.

I remember the 1990 Iowa vs Illinois game fondly considering I was 8 years old. I remember Nick Bell had something like 100+ yds in the first quarter. This was at #4 Illinois who was boasting the best D in the Big 10 that year and Iowa just thrashed them. I think I remember the score being something like 28-0 in the first quarter. Can anyone help me out?

Latest posts