Best early guess...Iowa FB 2011 Two deeps!

The OL for next year, the next two years actually, has me very excited. I think the offense next year can be more consistent from start to finish than this year's with regards to moving the ball on third down and points scored.

Wow. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but don't set yourself up again. You lost a lot last year and still had NC hopes this season. You're losing the foundation of the that "NC" team (Stanzi, DJK, Reisner, Clayborn, Klug, Greenwood... not sure who else). Just enjoy the season.

It's called reloading. Once again Hawks could be as talented as the year before.

FIRST TEAM

RT Markus Zusevics 6'5 295 Sr.
RG Adam Gettis 6'4 280 Sr.
C James Ferentz 6'2 275 Jr.
LG Nolan Macmillan 6'6 288 So.
LT Reilly Reif 6'6 300 Jr.
TE Brad Herman 6'5 247 Sr.
WR Marvin Mcnutt 6'4 215 Sr.
WR Keenan Davis 6'3 215 Jr.
RB Marcus Coker 6'0 230 So.
FB Brad Rogers 5'10 220 So.
QB James Vandenberg 6'3 212 Jr.

Have to be a bit concerned with the receiving corps...Mcnutt is exceptional and Davis has shown flashes of solidity..but depth is very much something to worry about. On the other hand, the OL looks pretty solid and Coker, in my book, is one heckuva good running back. Depth behind him may be an issue, but its reasonable to expect one or two young guys to step up their game and be ready. At TE...not sure if Herman can hold off Fiedorwicz for long but my guess is the Senior will begin the year as the number one.

DT Steve Bigach 6'3 272 Jr.
DT Mike Daniels 6'1 275 Sr.
SDE Broderick Binns 6'2 261 Sr.
WDE Lebron Daniels 6'2 250 Sr.
MLB James Morris 6'2 220 So.
LB Tyler Nielson 6'4 235 Sr.
LB Christian Kirksey 6'2 210 So.
CB Shaun Prater 5'11 185 Sr.
CB Micah Hyde 6'1 185 Jr.
FS Tanner Miller 6'2 195 So.
SS Tyler Sash 6'1 210 Sr.

First impressions...the defense might be a lot saltier than many would think. That front four is still very good and if Nielson returns to health at LB...that becomes a very solid position. Finally, if Sash stays in college for another year, the secondary looks to be even better than last years VERY solid corps. There's reason for much optimism defensively...and we all know Norm loves these kind of underrated and gritty groups of guys.

SECOND TEAM

RT Andrew Donnal 6'7 285 Fr. RG Brandon Scherf 6'5 310 Fr. C Connor Boffeli 6'3 280 So. LG Dan Heiar 6'5 280 Jr. LT Brett Van Sloten 6'7 290 So. TE CJ Fiedorwicz 6'7 255 So. WR Jordan Cotton 6'1 185 Fr. WR Kevonte Martin-Manley 6'0 190 Fr. RB De'Andre Johnson 5'8 215 Fr. OR Adam Robinson 5'9 205 FB Jacob Reisen 6'2 231 So. QB John Weinke 6'5 220 Jr.

DT Thomas Nardo 6'3 277 Sr. DT Dominic Alvis 6'4 260 Fr. SDE Joe Gaglione 6'4 245 Jr. WDE Louis Trinca-Passat 6'3 250 Fr. MLB Bruce Davis 6'0 232 Sr. LB Shane Dibona 6'2 230 So. LB Jim Poggi 6'2 215 Fr. CB Greg Castillo 5'11 180 Jr. CB BJ Lowery 5'11 180 So. FS Jordan Bernstine 5'11 205 Sr. SS Tom Donatell 6'2 205 Jr.

Is it just me or is it hard to believe that Prater is already going to be a senior? It just seems like he hasn't been around THAT long.

What about AJ Derby either on offense or Defense or is he going to be on the bench until he's a Jr. or Sr. Seems like he needs to think about moving to another position. He has to much athletic ability to just sit. Maybee beef up and move to LB. Just a thought that has been brought up before...

Shumpert will be a star at Iowa. The Shadow's source inside Fort Kinnick said that Shumpert is the most atletic WR that Iowa has ever had.

Shumpert will be a star at Iowa. The Shadow's source inside Fort Kinnick said that Shumpert is the most atletic WR that Iowa has ever had.

Good to hear some information on at least one younger player. I had read an article about how Shumpert set the school record in the 400 the first time he ran the race in highschool-just a natural athlete in football, basketball and track. I thought he would be a safety but he got moved to WR pretty quickly. I hope he is consistent with his hands because we need a boost like this. However, I am not sure we need more help at safety or WR assuming Sash is gone.

Did you have any info on the RS dline and who might step up?

What about AJ Derby either on offense or Defense or is he going to be on the bench until he's a Jr. or Sr. Seems like he needs to think about moving to another position. He has to much athletic ability to just sit. Maybee beef up and move to LB. Just a thought that has been brought up before...

IMO, Derby will stick at QB until Rudock arrives. Knowing that he wants to get on the field and be a contributor, he may see that Rudock has a better shot at being the starting QB and move elsewhere. Ideally, he'd play LB but I'd also like to see him stay on offense and play H-back. I could see using him a lot in the option game and in some more creative HB pass-type plays if the coaches want to go that route. In any event, I think his future is tied closely to Rudock's.

Good to hear some information on at least one younger player. I had read an article about how Shumpert set the school record in the 400 the first time he ran the race in highschool-just a natural athlete in football, basketball and track. I thought he would be a safety but he got moved to WR pretty quickly. I hope he is consistent with his hands because we need a boost like this. However, I am not sure we need more help at safety or WR assuming Sash is gone.

Did you have any info on the RS dline and who might step up?

That's what we need. Hands. You can run like the wind, but if you can't catch the ball, you are going anywhere.

Last edited:
Lemme understand this...you are a HN Legend are you are calling Jordan Bernstine Rod Bernstine!!!!!???? I suspect your 2 deep list is as suspect as your memory of who these guys are. Rod Bernstine is his uncle genius.
He has an uncle Genius?

IMO, Derby will stick at QB until Rudock arrives. Knowing that he wants to get on the field and be a contributor, he may see that Rudock has a better shot at being the starting QB and move elsewhere. Ideally, he'd play LB but I'd also like to see him stay on offense and play H-back. I could see using him a lot in the option game and in some more creative HB pass-type plays if the coaches want to go that route. In any event, I think his future is tied closely to Rudock's.

I agree with this. Derby will stay on as 3rd string QB next year as the staff likes to have at least two backups behind the starter. This will give JR a year to red shirt. In 2012 I believe Derby moves elsewhere as JR takes his spot as the 3rd stringer.

The OL for next year, the next two years actually, has me very excited. I think the offense next year can be more consistent from start to finish than this year's with regards to moving the ball on third down and points scored.
I think the O line will be our strong point next year and look for it to be Hawkeye strong for the next 3 - 5 especially if we land Cyrus K. I am hoping to be similar to a the 2010 Badger team. I think their O Line carries that team. Their D is mediocre at best with big talent at RB. We could follow that model - certainly if James VB comes to play.

I think the O line will be our strong point next year and look for it to be Hawkeye strong for the next 3 - 5 especially if we land Cyrus K. I am hoping to be similar to a the 2010 Badger team. I think their O Line carries that team. Their D is mediocre at best with big talent at RB. We could follow that model - certainly if James VB comes to play.

OLine will be extremely strong next year as long as we avoid the injury bug. Reiff/Gettis/Ferentz/MacMillan/Zusevics is a badass tandem. On top of that we have a ton of talent waiting behind them including Scherff, Donnal, Blythe, Walsh, Heiar and possibly Cyrus. It's going to be interesting to see how we make room for all of these guys going forward. I personally think Heiar should take his red shirt and come in when Gettis/Zus graduate. My guess is if Reiff has another solid year he may leave like Bulaga did so we may need three new guys to jump in next year. In any case, we have a lot of pieces to plug in over the next few seasons.

Latest posts