Best bowl performance = Big 10

iahawk20

Which conference was most impressive in bowls? - College Football - Rivals.com

THIS WEEK’S QUESTION: Which conference impressed you the most with its postseason performance?

Without a doubt, it’s the Big Ten. For the past four or five years, it seems everyone outside the Great Lakes states has ridiculed the Big Ten as a plodding, sloth-footed collection of stiffs. But the Big Ten made a powerful rebuttal this season’s bowl performance over teams from “speed†conferences. Ohio State beat Oregon, which is one of the fastest teams in the country. Iowa beat Georgia Tech, Wisconsin beat Miami and Penn State beat LSU. The Big Ten’s reputation was heightened even in defeat with Northwestern’s overtime loss to Auburn.

—OLIN BUCHANAN

When I covered the Orange Bowl in Miami, I couldn’t remember the last time it had been that cold in south Florida (which is where I grew up). I also couldn’t remember the last time I had been this impressed with the Big Ten in the postseason. As the temperature in Miami dipped into the 40s (yes, that’s bitter cold for Floridians), Iowa wrapped up a comfortable win over Georgia Tech in which the Hawkeyes outgained the Jackets 403-155. The final margin was 10, but Iowa could have won by three touchdowns had the Hawkeyes not missed key opportunities. Either way, it wrapped up an impressive December and January for the Big Ten. Ohio State beat Oregon comfortably in the Rose Bowl, and Iowa’s win gave the Big Ten its first BCS sweep since 2005. The Big Ten won only one bowl game a year ago; this season, league teams defeated four ranked opponents in bowl games, with Wisconsin (Miami) and Penn State (LSU) also coming through. The Big Ten shouldn’t be embarrassed by its losses, either. Northwestern took Auburn to overtime, Minnesota lost by one and Michigan State lost by 10 to Texas Tech, but that game was so riddled with distractions, the Spartans shouldn’t be too ashamed by the result.

—DAVID FOX

While it’s dangerous to read too much into postseason results, the Big Ten deserves credit for its performance. The league went 4-3, but the victories came in “good†bowls and the losses came in rather “blah†games. Ohio State’s win over Oregon and Iowa’s domination of Georgia Tech came in BCS games and thus gained a lot of attention, as they should’ve. But Wisconsin’s victory over Miami and Penn State’s rally against LSU—both in Orlando—were impressive, too. All four of those wins came against teams in the BCS top 15. The biggest story might have been the play of Ohio State’s offense. Gee, isn’t it amazing what happens when you actually open the playbook and let your quarterback use his athletic abilities. I’m sure there are people who still doubt Ohio State, but given Terrelle Pryor’s performance in the Rose Bowl and the Buckeyes’ schedule, get ready for the Buckeyes to be squarely in the national title hunt next season.

—MIKE HUGUENIN

I was all set to pick the Mountain West before the Fiesta Bowl, but TCU’s loss to Boise State overshadowed the victories by BYU, Utah, Air Force and Wyoming in lower-tier bowls. I instead have to choose the Big Ten. Although the Big Ten’s overall bowl record of 4-3 isn’t particularly impressive, keep in mind that the conference won just one bowl game last year. And all four of the Big Ten’s victories came against teams in the top 15 in the final BCS rankings: No. 7 Oregon, No. 9 Georgia Tech, No. 12 LSU and No. 15 Miami. The Big Ten endured plenty of criticism all season for its lack of quality non-conference victories. The league more than made up for it with its performance in the postseason.

Latest posts