Best Back to not finish career at Iowa

Not even close my young friends. His name is Willie Fleming AKA Willie the Wisp. Fleming was First Team All Big Ten. In the 1959 Rose Bowl, California concentrated on Fleming helping allow fellow Hawkeye halfback, Bob Jeter gain 194 yards. Jeter had an 81-yard score and Fleming had 85 yards on nine attempts including two touchdowns of 37 and 7 yards. Fleming left school early to join the Canadian Football League, where he quickly became an all-star.

Iowa was voted as National Champions by the Football Writers after the Rose Bowl.

Yep. To quote Trev Alberts, "And it's not even close".

The 2002 Hawkeyes featured two of the most dynamic, talented running backs of the Ferentz era in Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis. The pair combined for just under 2000 yards that year and just under 4000 yards for their combined careers. Even though Iowa had that dynamic duo, neither of them was the starting running back going into fall camp, and neither one was the heir apparent for Ladell Betts.

Who was?

Aaron Greving, who succumbed to injuries and burn out midway through the 2002 season.

The 2002 Hawkeyes featured two of the most dynamic, talented running backs of the Ferentz era in Fred Russell and Jermelle Lewis. The pair combined for just under 2000 yards that year and just under 4000 yards for their combined careers. Even though Iowa had that dynamic duo, neither of them was the starting running back going into fall camp, and neither one was the heir apparent for Ladell Betts.

Who was?

Aaron Greving, who succumbed to injuries and burn out midway through the 2002 season.

I must admit, it absolutely floored me when he left the team. Even more so when I read a season or two later that he was still on campus.

Who was?

Didn't he just up and quit the team? If so, I exclude him.

I really wanted to see Kalvin Bailey in the black and gold. Top fb/rb from florida and one of best in country. Thought he was the next jerome Bettis

If we are going to count guys like Fleming that left to go pro with eligibility left, then Shonn Greene should be on the list as well. Even Fred Russell could've come back for one more year IIRC, but with prep school and an injury year he was already getting older than the other seniors. If we are just going with guys that finished their career at a different school, then Wegher is my pick.

Latest posts