Best 4 on the Defensive Line

DNS

Is it just me or should Mike Daniels be playing as many snaps during the game as possible? I think our top 4 on the Dline are Clayborn, Daniels, Ballard, and Binns. Daniels just always seems to be running at 150 percent, reminds me of a Mitch King type motor. Nothing against Klug, I just think that he should be the 5th guy subbing in sporatically. Agree? Disagree?

Is it just me or should Mike Daniels be playing as many snaps during the game as possible? I think our top 4 on the Dline are Clayborn, Daniels, Ballard, and Binns. Daniels just always seems to be running at 150 percent, reminds me of a Mitch King type motor. Nothing against Klug, I just think that he should be the 5th guy subbing in sporatically. Agree? Disagree?

Agreed. If Clayborn is "a cement truck built by Ferarri" (as one Michigan Fan on Maize and Brew put it). Than Daniels is at least one built by Porsche.
I think I'll call him Beast#2.

Daniels has looked great. However, Klug has been very good too. In fact, each one of our top 5 guys has looked pretty darn good. One issue that we'll have to contend with is that we probably need to try to see if we can move around guys a little bit more in order to maximize mismatches. If I recall correctly, Klug was lined up opposite Dotsy against UA ... and Dotsy was such a load and so huge that it was just really hard for Klug to get around him. For perspective, Dotsy had something like 100 pounds on Klug.

Where was our Dline saturday night? Clayborn was getting doubled team all night and no one even stepped up. Was Ballard hurt, i barely saw him in the game. I thought our dline did not play very well, I hope they get their heads on straight, all those dink passes, some of them should of been tipped or even picked off (binns finally did it late.) I just thought our Dline was way out of sync Sat night.

Also I agree Daniels should be playing a lot more, I also think Iowa should move Clayborn around a little bit, Zona had their RB to his side all the time and I will clayborn credit he was getting pressure even fighting through 2 guys!

Daniels has looked great. However, Klug has been very good too. In fact, each one of our top 5 guys has looked pretty darn good. One issue that we'll have to contend with is that we probably need to try to see if we can move around guys a little bit more in order to maximize mismatches. If I recall correctly, Klug was lined up opposite Dotsy against UA ... and Dotsy was such a load and so huge that it was just really hard for Klug to get around him. For perspective, Dotsy had something like 100 pounds on Klug.

homer,
who would you have liked to see matched up on Dotsy? Ballard? Daniels? And, what was your take on the lack of pressure, was it their oline just being that beefy/skilled? I think a huge part had to do with Foles' quick release and his willingness to take the "small stuff". Also, it was interesting to see the Hawks implement the blitz in the final stages of the game, if I remember this is when we got the majority of our sacks...

I was disappointed to see AC get that penalty late in the game. That is not like him, he usually plays smarter ball than that.

When Binns intercepted the pass, were we blitzing and did he dropp back into coverage or did he float to that spot?

I was disappointed to see AC get that penalty late in the game. That is not like him, he usually plays smarter ball than that.

When Binns intercepted the pass, were we blitzing and did he dropp back into coverage or did he float to that spot?

It all happened so fast, but I thought he just did one of his trademark leaps and just finally managed to catch that one.

I will agree Iowa needs to blitz more and drop AC and Binns back into coverage at times! Also I wouldn't mind seeing Iowa sub in a LB at the DE position and drop him back into coverage at times. Arizona knew what we were going to do and they exploited it. They weren't worried about the deep ball, they wanted the 3 yd slants and the 5 yd across the middle patterns.

I would expect Norm to cook something up, because arizona gave the rest of the big ten a look at how to beat our defense. (now i'm not saying it was all the defenses fault that we lost, I'm just saying Foles looked pretty comfortable and was throwing to spots on the field, rather than to where his receiver was.) Giving up 15pts on special teams hurt and a pick six is never good! You are never going to win games by giving up that many points!

I watched the highlight of his interception and it looked to me like after the snap he quickly realized it was a pass play and dropped back slightly and found himself in the right place at the right time.

I will agree Iowa needs to blitz more and drop AC and Binns back into coverage at times! Also I wouldn't mind seeing Iowa sub in a LB at the DE position and drop him back into coverage at times. Arizona knew what we were going to do and they exploited it. They weren't worried about the deep ball, they wanted the 3 yd slants and the 5 yd across the middle patterns.

I would expect Norm to cook something up, because arizona gave the rest of the big ten a look at how to beat our defense. (now i'm not saying it was all the defenses fault that we lost, I'm just saying Foles looked pretty comfortable and was throwing to spots on the field, rather than to where his receiver was.) Giving up 15pts on special teams hurt and a pick six is never good! You are never going to win games by giving up that many points!

The Big Ten didn't learn anything about how to beat our defense that they didn't already learn from Northwestern and Indiana. Everyone knows how to beat our defense. Very few teams have quarterbacks who are A. talented enough, and B. patient enough to beat the defense. Foles is both.

Our defense wasn't dominant, but at the same time they were the only reason Iowa got back into the game. They generated at least a 14 point turnaround through turnovers and stopped multiple Arizona drives that would have put the game out of reach. They just couldn't stop them when it counted.

As for Clayborn, I didn't get a sense that hitting Foles was malicious. I thought he launched himself forward in order to get partial credit for a sack and accidentally hit Foles in the face.