Ben Dillard

sportstalent

Son of Iowa's assistant Sherman Dillard and a rising prospect at Shooting Guard and has some PG experience. My questions is this: There are universities that have rules that an emplyoees child can go to that university tuition free, does Iowa have something like this? Is there any way we could see Iowa sign two players in the Spring and have Dillard join in this fashion, or is there a chance Iowa just signs him anyway?

Son of Iowa's assistant Sherman Dillard and a rising prospect at Shooting Guard and has some PG experience. My questions is this: There are universities that have rules that an emplyoees child can go to that university tuition free, does Iowa have something like this? Is there any way we could see Iowa sign two players in the Spring and have Dillard join in this fashion, or is there a chance Iowa just signs him anyway?
no.

this comes up all the time in regards to FB. You can't skirt scholarship limits just because some kids can pay there own way (or in the case receive free tuition, which as pointed out in previous post is not the case at U of I). For example, if USC had 5 rich kids who could afford their own tuition without using a scholie and all 5 happened to be 3 -5 star rated players, should USC be allowed to have 85 scholie players plus these 5? People ask why James Ferentz is on scholie. Also, scholarship players get training benefits, non-scholarship kids don't.

this comes up all the time in regards to FB. You can't skirt scholarship limits just because some kids can pay there own way (or in the case receive free tuition, which as pointed out in previous post is not the case at U of I). For example, if USC had 5 rich kids who could afford their own tuition without using a scholie and all 5 happened to be 3 -5 star rated players, should USC be allowed to have 85 scholie players plus these 5? People ask why James Ferentz is on scholie. Also, scholarship players get training benefits, non-scholarship kids don't.

Thanks for getting on the soap box on "rich kids" when I asked specifically about University employees. I asked because I know some universities where I live have done this because of the policy...thanks for the insight.

i didn't mean to come off like that, I was typing in a hurry between honey-doos at home. :) I was just trying to provide an example of how schools could beat scholarship limits. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, it is a great question.

Are you saying this couldn't happen or shouldn't happen? Regardless the difference between walk-ons and scholarship players there is no reason the above can't happen and there're no rules against it. Long term it's not beneficial to the player/team because of the benefis afforded the player on scholarship. Short term it's a form of graysirting.

What you can't do is bring a player in on scholarship for one sport ( track, etc) in an effort to circumvent FB scholarship limits. SEC and the old SWC used to do this regularly.

Are you saying this couldn't happen or shouldn't happen? Regardless the difference between walk-ons and scholarship players there is no reason the above can't happen and there're no rules against it. Long term it's not beneficial to the player/team because of the benefis afforded the player on scholarship. Short term it's a form of graysirting.

What you can't do is bring a player in on scholarship for one sport ( track, etc) in an effort to circumvent FB scholarship limits. SEC and the old SWC used to do this regularly.

Yeah, that is why the rule that you cannot play for another sport until you compete in the sport that the LOI was signed in.

i didn't mean to come off like that, I was typing in a hurry between honey-doos at home. :) I was just trying to provide an example of how schools could beat scholarship limits. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, it is a great question.

No problem, it was the "rich kid" comment, for whatever reason it just got to me. It's all good:D

Actually I believe Iowa does have this policy as a classmate of mine has a parent employed by the University and can go for free. However, in athletics its smarter so sign the kid so they get all the same incentives as a scholarship athlete, such as free food, etc.

not only did this post not answer the question, but it was incorrect

Actually I believe Iowa does have this policy as a classmate of mine has a parent employed by the University and can go for free. However, in athletics its smarter so sign the kid so they get all the same incentives as a scholarship athlete, such as free food, etc.

Thanks, that answers part of my question, now does anyone think Iowa is looking seriously at the younger Dillard?

Somebody lied to you. It's a state university and there are no perks like that.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but if you are employed by Vanderbilt in any capacity, your kids (if accepted) can go to Vandy and receive 70% tuition reimbursement. This reimbursement actually applies to ANY higher educational institution which is one of the reasons it's so difficult to get employment at Vanderbilt.

Isn't that exactly what they did with little lick? Maybe i'm missing something.

If Lick got a scholarship it was only because there was an extra lying around. Even then it should have been scrutinized closer. I honestly don't recall if he was on scholly but if he did Iowa was still within the 13 limit.

No, he had to pay just like everyone else. Some places have tuition deals (private schools) but Iowa DOES NOT do this.

Yeah, I am sure the younger Lickliter was never on scholarship even though we had plenty to give out with players leaving at the rate they did. Also, there are public Universities close to where I live that have this deal. The Softball coach was trying to get a player at the school where I coach to "walk-on" because her mom worked there. The girl was intelligent and had everything covered as well, so there was a way around the having to give a scholarship.

Latest posts