Ben Brust

tweeterhawk

Anyone who doesn't think Brust would have been a major contributor on Fran's first two teams simply doesn't know basketball. Prior to tonight's game against UNC, he was averaging 12.8 points a game. He was held to 9 points that included a half-court heave at the buzzer, but had a solid game for the No. 7 Badgers against the fifth-ranked team in the country. He made 4 of 9 shots, had 3 steals and 3 rebounds in 23 minutes.

IMHO, Brust would be the best player on the current Iowa squad and could fit Fran's run-and-gun style of play.

Aaaaaaaaaand who's refuting that he would be one of our best players? He de-committed when Lick was let go, so if you're trying to place any blame on Fran then you would be wrong in doing so.

Aaaaaaaaaand who's refuting that he would be one of our best players? He de-committed when Lick was let go, so if you're trying to place any blame on Fran then you would be wrong in doing so.

I don't think he's referring to Fran. There were A LOT of fans who were indifferent to Brust's leaving (sour grapes).

Didn't Fran want to try to get him to stay committed?

IIRC, this was true, until Brust wanted some sort of special attention. Things cooled off after that. At least that was the rumor.

Didn't Fran want to try to get him to stay committed?

My recollection is Brust re-opened his recruitment process when Lick was let go and Fran did try, for a while, to get him to re-commit. Not sure what happened. The suggestion has been made elsewhere in this forum in recent days that his departure was a good thing, that he was a better fit in Bo Ryan's controlled scheme than Fran's up-and-down game. The kid can play at a high level; we could have used him. No, I don't hang his change of heart on Fran.

My recollection is Brust re-opened his recruitment process when Lick was let go and Fran did try, for a while, to get him to re-commit. Not sure what happened. The suggestion has been made elsewhere in this forum in recent days that his departure was a good thing, that he was a better fit in Bo Ryan's controlled scheme than Fran's up-and-down game. The kid can play at a high level; we could have used him. No, I don't hang his change of heart on Fran.

I believe I made that post, tweeter. And I still stand by it. We definitely could use him, and he may in fact have been our best player. But that's because he's a damn good player that can fit just about anywhere. I still feel his BEST fit is in an offense like Ryan's.

In my opinion, it really does not matter, soooo lets move on.

I understand where you're coming from, but if we think about it... nothing we really discuss on these boards really matter or make much of an impact. Just for our own entertainment and discussion. :D

Beating dead horse

You can't even get glue or dog food out of the horse anymore it's been beaten so much.

For the record, I thought Brust would thrive in more of a "slow down" type of offense. After seeing him play a couple of times this year, I will admit that he would do well in any kind of offense.

Yeah the kid is for real. I don't think anyone would argue that he'd have been a good get for Iowa. I can't say that I blame him though. Wisconsin is for real.

I have to ask, would you rather have him or Cartwright? Basabe? did we have enough Schollys available to sign him and the other 4? If we didn't he would have been worthless. Not say'n, just say'n.

I have to ask, would you rather have him or Cartwright? Basabe? did we have enough Schollys available to sign him and the other 4? If we didn't he would have been worthless. Not say'n, just say'n.

With Fuller leaving, we could have added Brust to Carwright, Basabe, McCabe and Marble and been fine scholarship-wise. Shoot, we could have kept Larson too since we were down two schollies all of last year.

There was room to add Ben but it did not happen. I don't know why would ever consider him before Cartwright for this team. Brust is not a PG, but he was a good scorer and appears that if surrounded by a talented PG and other talented inside players can be a real asset. I could see Matt Gatens doing what Brust did if he was on Wisconsin.

Brust in my opinion is a good part that makes up a very solid team. I don't think you would see him being as effective if he were on Iowa especially if you wanted him to run the point.

Do you think Oglesby as a sophomore would be just as good as Brust? Hard to say but according to the scouting service they were pretty much identically ranked coming out of high school.

Iowa has guys similar to Brust in my opinion already in Gatens and Oglesby but Matt and Josh do not have the talent around them that Ben has.

That is my opinion. Brust is a solid scorer who can get hot and put up some points but his game comes out when he has other above average players around him.

Iowa just does not have anyone close to Jordan Taylor talent wise on the roster.

There was room to add Ben but it did not happen. I don't know why would ever consider him before Cartwright for this team. Brust is not a PG, but he was a good scorer and appears that if surrounded by a talented PG and other talented inside players can be a real asset. I could see Matt Gatens doing what Brust did if he was on Wisconsin.

Brust in my opinion is a good part that makes up a very solid team. I don't think you would see him being as effective if he were on Iowa especially if you wanted him to run the point.

Do you think Oglesby as a sophomore would be just as good as Brust? Hard to say but according to the scouting service they were pretty much identically ranked coming out of high school.

Iowa has guys similar to Brust in my opinion already in Gatens and Oglesby but Matt and Josh do not have the talent around them that Ben has.

That is my opinion. Brust is a solid scorer who can get hot and put up some points but his game comes out when he has other above average players around him.

Iowa just does not have anyone close to Jordan Taylor talent wise on the roster.

Well said! I think Brust is comparable to Bohannon when he went to Wisky. Both are able to fill it up from 3 but would struggle to handle pg responsibilities. Brust does play with confidence for not having much experience though. They played in a tough environment last night and he was not hesitant at all.

I like the guys Iowa has coming next year along with Oglesby, White and Olaseni. Iowa should have an athletic group of young players next year.

Brust is quicker than I thought, but is still a bit of a tweener. I guess he will play some pg at Wisky after Taylor leaves this season,but not sure he distributes that well. He is a shooter. I imagine that Gesell might be somewhat similar,tho.
Brust is a scorer who really looks for his shot. Took some bad ones last nite,but that will happen vs UNC. Clearly has the gym rat game,with that one drive to hoop a byproduct of getting his drives blocked thousands of times vs athletic guys...pretty creative horse shot.
I do not really resent Brust at all,just Ryan for poaching him.
Brust was never a top 150 player,while Oglesby was around 118. I like Oglesby better due to his size. Brust is Bohannon-lite, with an ounce more quicks. I think Josh can be better than both.
Bottom line, yes,Brust could help us at Iowa,where we seem to be shooting-challenged,but Bo Ryan poached him away...not much can be done about it,cept beat Bo's arse every chance we get,and start calling Sam Dekker his committed top 25 recruit for next year.

Latest posts