Being an uptempo team. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

Anybody ever watch Lickliter's teams.....

How about Mr. Davis's teams......

I prefered to watch Mr. Davis's teams.....

:cool:

4 Big ten losses.... 71 points, 67 points, 69 points (OT), 69 points

When we beat OSU we scored 84
When we beat Mich we scored 85

For the season, we average 83.7 points per game.
In conference play, we average 77.8 pooints per game.

Teams want to force us to slow down and force us into a half court game. The teams that we have lost to held us well below our season average.

I'm not sure how you could come to a conclusion that not being uptempo would be a good thing for this team.

I don't think it's good for recruiting, necessarily. Elite players want most of the minutes. Large egos are usually involved with high D-1 recruits and they don't want to sit on the bench and watch. That's my opinion anyway.

That doesn't make sense. If they really care about minutes they wouldn't choose to go to Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas where they will come in behind other elite players and have to work their way up. I would think they care more about scoring than just playing minutes. I guess they're all different.

Hawkeye mike 23, where did you get those data points from?

And I totally agree w conclusion. Elite defensive teams push teams to end of shot clock, inducing tough shots and violations, particularly low transition teams.

Good stuff

Anybody ever watch Lickliter's teams.....

How about Mr. Davis's teams......

I prefered to watch Mr. Davis's teams.....

:cool:

You said it Jack! I don't know how a preference for up-tempo could be in doubt after Lick.

As far as recruiting, if you are a athletic blue-chipper with the choice if going to an up-tempo school named Duke1 or a slow-tempo school named Duke2, the decision is obviously going to be for Duke1.
Up-tempo helps recruiting.

Overall I'd say it's a good thing -- fun ball to watch, can help overcome a lack of outside shooting. But Fran needs to coach the team in Plan B which is running a patient, effective, half-court offense when teams figure out how to get back on defense to stop Iowa's transition.

volhaplayers said:
That doesn't make sense. If they really care about minutes they wouldn't choose to go to Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas where they will come in behind other elite players and have to work their way up. I would think they care more about scoring than just playing minutes. I guess they're all different.

Those are blue blood teams you are talking about. They always seem to get those recryits regardless. I am talking how it relates to Iowa. Elite level players, meaning top 50, if they dont choose a blue blood program, they want immediate playing time and lots of minutes. They want the spot light.

As KF is fond of saying....."There's more than one way to skin a cat".

I think being uptempo or not isn't the question.....The question should be how efficient is your offense. Wisconsin is one of the slowest teams in D-1 over the last 15 years. But they've also had one of the most efficient offenses in the country. They don't turn it over, they take good shots and they typically are good at rebounding a high % of their misses. And they've finished in the Top 4 of the B1G every year for the last 15 years.

Our overall offense is not only uptempo, but it's very efficient. One of the things that's amazing to me is how uptempo we're able to play without having a high rate of turnovers. One of the things that used to drive me crazy about Mr. Davis's teams is that we were very uptempo and pressed the heck out of teams and could cause lots of turnovers, but we would typically have more turnovers than the opponent.

And one of the things I've liked about Fran is how adaptable he is to his circumstances. When he first came to Iowa, his plan was to press....A LOT. He got asked a question the other day about this and his answer was so good. He basically said that his intention was to press full court when he first got here, but once he saw just how good the ball handlers were in this league, that it forced him to reconsider and now he pretty much just presses to force the tempo and style he wants. We never got that from Mr. Davis. Come heck or high water, we were pressing full court until the cows came home. Often times, against good ballhandling, athletic teams, we would get run out of the gym.

The more time that goes by, the more I'm realizing just how good of a coach we got in Fran.

More on Fran and 3/4 press, something like, "...in 3/4 press, you rarely get beat fir an easy bucket, vs full court can result in easy buckets against you..." "it also takes 8-12 sec off their offense so it disrupts what they do..."

So it creates occasional TOs, takes seconds in press and then to get organized shortening the shot clock.

It's a very low risk tool that can get you a couple more quick transition possessions/gm.
I just love that guy...

Mr. Davis, press resulted in a lot of layups or open 3s against us....

We are not a half court team and therefore have to get points off defense and pushing the ball. As has been stated here so often when you have a limited number of guys who can create their own shot you have to find other ways to score. We are doing what we do well.

As long as we take care of the basketball and remember to get it off the defensive glass first we'll be fine. We won't lose many track meets especially with our depth. When other teams have made it tough for us it is when they take away the fast break. When we play half court we are vulnerable.

If just purely a style question a half court game may be less risky, but we've lived through some pretty boring basketball and our style puts butts in the seats. Fran's got guys for his system and there's no reason to think he's wrong. Ralph's six pack was pretty successful.

Gesell's marked improvement during that 3-loss stretch has changed the half court thing. Olaseni is the other guy who has put up huge numbers in the same time frame. When you have point and center going balls out like this with Basabe, Marble and White on the same floor, you cannot call that team a half court liability. Those losses may have been much more a necessary evil than a sign of an offense we'll never play well. The tools are there, and now they have a well above-average PG running it.

Latest posts