Beilein leaving Michingan for the Clevland Cavaliers

Too bad Nevada swooped in and locked up Alfraud. Would have been a great hire.

Last edited:
Juwaan Howard is an assistant coach for the Miami Heat and is strongly being considered. Don’t know about his X’s and O’s but there is no doubt his name alone would pull in high level recruits.

This only proves how retarded the current AD is. :mad:

Soon all the coaches of every sport at the U of I will be able to say this or be given a favorable legal settlement from the U of I.

Soon all the coaches of every sport at the U of I will be able to say this or be given a favorable legal settlement from the U of I.
Painter isn't going anywhere for a while. He hasn't reached fifty yet. And he's at his alma mater.

I wouldn't use the word "retarded" to describe Barta but your second sentence is interesting. Iowa's football, basketball, women's basketball and wrestling coaches all have been in there positions longer than average in college sports. Barta likes him some safe steadiness I guess.

I wouldn't use the word "retarded" to describe Barta but your second sentence is interesting. Iowa's football, basketball, women's basketball and wrestling coaches all have been in there positions longer than average in college sports. Barta likes him some safe steadiness I guess.

No offense intended to the term retarded. I have a special needs son myself.

Lol, I didn’t realize that about our coaches. I just threw that out there. I guess considering where we got him from we can just call ourselves Wyoming East University.

Last edited:
I'm paraphrasing Fran M's remarks here, college basketball has become corrupted and honest guys like Belein don't want to be part of it. There is definitely ethical difference now versus forty years ago. And it wasn't perfect 40 years ago either, but the shady money from shoe companies wasn't floating around. Academic integrity is no longer a requirement for being a player, just look to North Carolina for an example. The one and done era has simply made a mockery of "STUDENT" athlete. The one year wonders are simply channeled to certain programs because they are offered a high profile team to perform for.

Agree he was tired of it. 40 yearscago or 50 it was just as bad or worse excep the aau. John Wooden was not an honest nice guy.

Agree he was tired of it. 40 yearscago or 50 it was just as bad or worse excep the aau. John Wooden was not an honest nice guy.
Nor was "booster" Sam Gilbert, his facilitator.

Another interesting historical development. Jerry Tarkanian's UNLV program started to come into its own about ten minutes after Wooden stepped down. Want to guess where all those potential Rebels were going previously? And what was enticing them to go there? Not saying that Tark the Shark was any kind of saint in his own right, but wow were those Reggie Theus UNLV teams fun to watch.

Nor was "booster" Sam Gilbert, his facilitator.

Another interesting historical development. Jerry Tarkanian's UNLV program started to come into its own about ten minutes after Wooden stepped down. Want to guess where all those potential Rebels were going previously? And what was enticing them to go there? Not saying that Tark the Shark was any kind of saint in his own right, but wow were those Reggie Theus UNLV teams fun to watch.

Those teams were fun to watch for sure.

Gilbert s death and indictment timings were interesting. There is no way any head coach who was D1 asst doesn't know what theyvare stepping into. Beilein wasnt a high level anything before UM. However his mentot/uncle/A D pretty much single handedly took down OU and SMU football.
So he couldn't have been that naive.

Remember when a frustrated Lute named Dutcher, Henson, and whoever the UM coach was (Freider?) as making it really hard to recruit Chicago due to violaton antics?

If you don't like pressure, Iowa is the place to coach. No need to rent a place, build your dream home, with an eye on where the grandkids will sleep in 20 years. Plan out which position your children will fill on the staff. Not much need to worry about losing the assistants either.

I think a lot of coaches see where college hoops is heading and hate it. Scandals, shoe companies, AAU, one and dones, the rise of the g-league, and the transfer portal era. Its nothing like it used to be....for better or worse. My guess is Beilein just wants to coach basketball and be done with all the other stuff.

Did I call this or what!

ModebaSanWell-Known Member
Juwaan Howard is an assistant coach for the Miami Heat and is strongly being considered. Don’t know about his X’s and O’s but there is no doubt his name alone would pull in high level recruits.

I'm surprised Michigan would bring back a coach that was part of the team that got them put on probation.