Beilein leaving Michingan for the Clevland Cavaliers

spliff45

hT0wI2fs_normal.jpg

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
· 14m
Michigan’s John Beilein has agreed to a five-year deal to become coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell ESPN.

Uh...whoa!

For all his success he seemed like a decent fellow who did things right. Never felt the dislike for him that I do for his cross state rival clown. This is a loss not only for UscUM but for the B1G coaching fraternity.

Well he's 66 years old. Probably thinking retirement in the near future. Why not try his hand in the NBA and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, he at least tried and made some good money doing so (I'm assuming they're paying him more than the $3.3M he was making at Michigan). And if it does work out, well then he's the guy that pulled the Cavs out of the post-Lebron slump.

My crystal ball is in the shop so I don't know one way or the other.

I always respected Beilein, he seemed like a classy guy.

I'm guessing the fear of playing against the Mayor drove him out :)

I did read he's losing two guys early to the draft. But the article said he's tired of the recruiting environment in general. Maybe he's tired of doing it right, not paying his players and watching those who do be successful.

It will be interesting to see who Michigan hires.

Also, to Rob's post, hard to believe Fran is now 3rd in tenure in B1G when you consider the lack of overall true success. Just reminds us how low we were before Fran got to Iowa.

I believe he interviewed for the Pistons job last summer and used that as leverage for a new deal. Kind of surprising but not completely out of nowhere that he was interested in the Cavs job.

Even crazier, he's never been an assistant at any level.

Beilein had one hell of a mentor.. his uncle/AD Hall of Fame Coach, Ww2 Hero of Saving Pvt Ryan fame. ..who single handedly took down Barry Switzer and the Pony Express. 1st Lt Tom Niland from Tonawanda NY.

Niland engineered the 2 pt guard set for Beilein.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Michigan going forward. They were bad to mediocre for a long time It's easy to forget- zero NCAA appearances from 1998 until Beilein's first trip there with UM in 2009. Not to mention the vacated 1995-1998 records. They lose a lot to the draft and recruiting will suffer.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Michigan going forward. They were bad to mediocre for a long time It's easy to forget- zero NCAA appearances from 1998 until Beilein's first trip there with UM in 2009. Not to mention the vacated 1995-1998 records. They lose a lot to the draft and recruiting will suffer.

Yes Michigan facing a pivotal hiring. They either get someone who keeps them on the path of blue blood or they back slide. I know what I'm hoping for.