Beating Michigan....Does that Equal a 7 seed in the Big Dance?

It might mean a 6? Fire Fran. 24 hours in this sport who knows? ...... that’s why dip shits who talk shit after a few games are clueless and have no idea what they are talking about.

Let me get this straight.

Fans who complain when Iowa loses 5 of their last 6 (two of which were bottom dwellers) to end the regular season are "dip shits", and fans who shoot fireworks off after they beat an 12 win, 11 seed team are the wise ones.

Gotcha.

Beating Michigan just means, IMO, we won't drop BELOW an 8. I think getting to Sunday assures a 7. Win the tournament and we have a shot at a 6. Again, just my opinion. So much can happen in other tournaments that move a team up or down a spot.

Let me get this straight.

Fans who complain when Iowa loses 5 of their last 6 (two of which were bottom dwellers) to end the regular season are "dip shits", and fans who shoot fireworks off after they beat an 12 win, 11 seed team are the wise ones.

Gotcha.
I'm trolling and triggering, not sure I've shot off any fireworks. The way Iowa ended the season was sickening and it sucked. I too was upset. Iowa beat a bad team in IL, but Iowa has had a nice bounce back year and I enjoyed last night, hope that's ok.

The Illinois win locked up the NCAA bid (and not a play in). It wasn't a Quad 1 or 2 win, but it was a win that Iowa had to have

The worst thing about that Nebraska ending was it made it almost impossible to have a winnable second round game next week. We need a 6 seed to have a decent shot in my opinion and I don't see any way we get that high. You just don't move up many seeds for winning games in the conference tournaments. Anything short of winning it and we are a 7 seed or a little worse. Iowa is always one seed lower than people think we will be.

Since we used up all of our good shooting last night, my prediction is we shoot like dog shit and lose a close enough game to say "if we only would have shot average...."
No one “went off.” It was very balanced. We just need a couple guys to have big games and everyone defend,

The worst thing about that Nebraska ending was it made it almost impossible to have a winnable second round game next week. We need a 6 seed to have a decent shot in my opinion and I don't see any way we get that high. You just don't move up many seeds for winning games in the conference tournaments. Anything short of winning it and we are a 7 seed or a little worse. Iowa is always one seed lower than people think we will be.
Nebraska was a Quad 1 loss in OT. And they have followed that up with 2 more wins...one being MD. I don’t think that loss hurts us at all. And I’m not sure a win would have helped much.

I think we are an 8 now and stay 8/9 with a loss. I think we move up 1 seed with each win. So 2 more gets us to a 6 hopefully.

I tracked Kenpom yesterday out of curiosity. We were 40 in the a.m. Mid afternoon we went to 39. Before our game we were 38. This a.m. we were 34. I just checked and we are now 33.

2nd off, eating crow tonight. Good Iowa showed up and they won another game. I'm thinking they probably locked themselves into at least a 8, 9, or 10 seed with the win tonight.
Here's the thing. Iowa is a potentially dangerous team. There has been a lot of underperforming / malaise lately but the basics are all still there. I'm not saying they are going to make a run, I'm saying they could make a run, either in Chicago or in the dance. Just depends which team shows up. Will it be a sharp shooting team that plays some defense, or will it be the Globetrotter dribbling show that plays excuse me / olé defense.
The potential is there, I hope the hell the dangerous team shows up, they could cause all kinds of issues for all kinds of teams.

Here's the thing. Iowa is a potentially dangerous team. There has been a lot of underperforming / malaise lately but the basics are all still there. I'm not saying they are going to make a run, I'm saying they could make a run, either in Chicago or in the dance. Just depends which team shows up. Will it be a sharp shooting team that plays some defense, or will it be the Globetrotter dribbling show that plays excuse me / olé defense.
The potential is there, I hope the hell the dangerous team shows up, they could cause all kinds of issues for all kinds of teams.

"they COULD do well, but then again they COULD fail" . . . that's the type of brave insights that make message boards worth what we pay to read them

Last edited:
There are going to be a lot of potential three seeds you don't want to mess with either. Texas Tech will probably drop to a three. Gonzaga will drop to a two which will drop someone like LSU to a three. Kansas and Houston could be threes.

Three weeks ago I would have loved a six. Now I don't see that seed being any more advantageous than a seven.

I tracked Kenpom yesterday out of curiosity. We were 40 in the a.m. Mid afternoon we went to 39. Before our game we were 38. This a.m. we were 34. I just checked and we are now 33.

Lunardi [the REAL swami!] has us at an 8 seed, trending upward, vs #9 Utah St. in the MidWest bracket in Columbia, S.C. This is a brand new bracketology, today.
They said on BTN yesterday, each game is worth about
3%
of total consideration. Body of work, body of work, body of work.

Generally speaking,
it's pretty hard to move up more than 2 spots in a post-season conference tournament, but a 6 would be within a [long] reach if we beat both Mich and Purdue. IMO, we'd have to win it all to get a 6 seed. Though, stranger things have happened.

In the first game, Iowa wore Michigan down. Teske was gassed several times in that first game...so was Bradwhatshisname, the freshman. Iowa ran their bigs fiercely in that game in IC. We are deeper than Michigan. The key is if we can keep Mathews and Poole from gashing us from three. If they are off shooting the ball, we can win this game and control it like we did the first time.

We just have to figure out a way to control Simpson...and that may mean we play more with a bigger guard tandem...as whenever Bohannon is on him...he's going to the hole with purpose and dishing if it's there.

It's an intriguing game. I like this matchup more than Michigan State or Purdue.

There are going to be a lot of potential three seeds you don't want to mess with either. Texas Tech will probably drop to a three. Gonzaga will drop to a two which will drop someone like LSU to a three. Kansas and Houston could be threes.

Three weeks ago I would have loved a six. Now I don't see that seed being any more advantageous than a seven.
Kansas or Houston please?

Lunardi [the REAL swami!] has us at an 8 seed, trending upward, vs #9 Utah St. in the MidWest bracket in Columbia, S.C. This is a brand new bracketology, today.
They said on BTN yesterday, each game is worth about
3%
of total consideration. Body of work, body of work, body of work.

Generally speaking,
it's pretty hard to move up more than 2 spots in a post-season conference tournament, but a 6 would be within a [long] reach if we beat both Mich and Purdue. IMO, we'd have to win it all to get a 6 seed. Though, stranger things have happened.

Agree.........beat MI and move to #7 likely. Too many 6/7 seeds ahead of us to jump two spots and those 6/7 seeds are for the most part playing strong opponents yet in their post season or are done for the regular season which would limit their downside. Win the BIG Tourney and #6 would look more probable.

In the first game, Iowa wore Michigan down. Teske was gassed several times in that first game...so was Bradwhatshisname, the freshman. Iowa ran their bigs fiercely in that game in IC. We are deeper than Michigan. The key is if we can keep Mathews and Poole from gashing us from three. If they are off shooting the ball, we can win this game and control it like we did the first time.

We just have to figure out a way to control Simpson...and that may mean we play more with a bigger guard tandem...as whenever Bohannon is on him...he's going to the hole with purpose and dishing if it's there.

It's an intriguing game. I like this matchup more than Michigan State or Purdue.
Connor is going to have to step up again like he did last night.

Joe and Luka will need to stay away from the early fouls that plagued them in the first Michigan matchup. Luka has been doing a better job of managing his fouls ever since that three or four games stretch where fouls seemed to find him.

Ryan has to put together two good games in a row. He had a good one last night. He had a good one in the first Michigan game. Him and Connor had a good two man game going at times last night.