BCS finally gets it right

It is so funny how the press has gotten this so wrong. No way Delaney lets the current selection process happen. This is why they are building SOS back into the formula and talking about 2 rounds of in-conference playoffs. A power conference team that has won 14 games against major conference opponents with the last two games against the other top teams in their league is guaranteed a spot in the final four.

So, a power conference's champion could be left out? Sounds like they are just trying to rig an all SEC affair.

Delaney and Scott are not going to agree to a system that leaves their champs likely out. That is why they built strength of schedule back in. Also, that is why the idea of two rounds of in-conference playoffs is being bounced around. That would be a huge money maker and would make sure that the power conference champs would make it into the top 4.

Think of it this way: Ohio State goes 10-2 in the regular season - they then beat 10-2 Wisconsin and 11-1 Michigan in the in-conference playoffs. That puts OSU at 12-2 and having two huge bumps in strength of schedule at the end of the season.

Even if a Texas team went 13-0, their strength of schedule would be seriously damaged by the weakness of their conference and it is hard to believe that the voters wouldn't be swayed by beating two monsters at the end of the season like that.

Delaney and Scott are not going to agree to a system that leaves their champs likely out.

Maybe not, but I'm not convinced that Mike Slive is going to agree to a system where the second-place SEC team gets left out to a lower-ranked BigTen or Pac12 team.

Also, WTF is 'two rounds of in-conference playoffs'? Whatever it is, it's NEVER going to happen.

Up there you don't really get a lot of info because Delaney plays it so close to the vest, but down here people are more loose with information. One of the talks about superconferences is to have 4 teams in an in-conference playoff - in fact, CUSA who is out in front on the change process has already petitioned to NCAA to allow it. CUSA is one thing, but in a Superconference it would be something else altogether.

Finally, what we are hearing here is that the SEC will add two more for 2014 when the landscape changes. The names we hear mostly are NC State and VaTech.

That's all wrong.

Wrong in principle or details? Because I told everyone last August that CUSA was shopping a national model, that Memphis was going to the Big East and that my institution was told my current school's athletic department budget could force us out of a potential second tier playoff model.

Jump forward 10 months and Memphis is in the Big East, CUSA is expanding and talking about collaborating with MWC, The Mountain is terminating their TV contract, and our institution, who went undefeated in our conference, is watching CUSA take other schools in our conference and also some FCS schools to build their conference, and have petitioned the NCAA for two rounds of in-conference playoffs.

Seriously, CUSA is a good barometer of the future of college football. They are too weak to dictate any of the final terms, but strong enough to be able to set themselves up for survival when everything comes to pass for the 2014 season.

Even with the current format the BCS still remains an epic fail.

The only thing that I do like about the revised format is that you have to win your conference...that should have been in there from day one anyway.

Wrong in principle or details? Because I told everyone last August that CUSA was shopping a national model, that Memphis was going to the Big East and that my institution was told my current school's athletic department budget could force us out of a potential second tier playoff model.

Jump forward 10 months and Memphis is in the Big East, CUSA is expanding and talking about collaborating with MWC, The Mountain is terminating their TV contract, and our institution, who went undefeated in our conference, is watching CUSA take other schools in our conference and also some FCS schools to build their conference, and have petitioned the NCAA for two rounds of in-conference playoffs.

Seriously, CUSA is a good barometer of the future of college football. They are too weak to dictate any of the final terms, but strong enough to be able to set themselves up for survival when everything comes to pass for the 2014 season.

LOL you threw out about 50 different scenarios last year, namely that everyone would be going to 16 team super conferences led by the Pac 12, that didn't quite happen. Throw enough **** against the wall, some will stick.

The only thing that I do like about the revised format is that you have to win your conference...that should have been in there from day one anyway.

What 'revised format' are you talking about? There's nothing that says you have to win the conference, and I doubt there will be.

Gee for a minute I thought that da U finally got the death penalty. Then I realized the story was about the BCS.

I've deducted you are associated with Arkansas State based on the above. CUSA has added FIU, North Texas, UT San Antonio, LA Tech from the Sun Belt and Charlotte was an FCS school before joining the CUSA. ODU is possibly joining CUSA, another FCS school. Since Arkansas State was the 2011 conference champion and undefeated within the conference it makes for a pretty good deduction.

I've deducted you are associated with Arkansas State based on the above. CUSA has added FIU, North Texas, UT San Antonio, LA Tech from the Sun Belt and Charlotte was an FCS school before joining the CUSA. ODU is possibly joining CUSA, another FCS school. Since Arkansas State was the 2011 conference champion and undefeated within the conference it makes for a pretty good deduction.

All the big BCS insider news goes through Arkansas State.

Sorry if you don't win your conference you don't get in simple as that. Yes I know that last years "Champion" would be left out but they shouldn't have lost a conference game at home. Better luck next year.

Sorry if you don't win your conference you don't get in simple as that. Yes I know that last years "Champion" would be left out but they shouldn't have lost a conference game at home. Better luck next year.

agreed. you've got to draw the line somewhere, and that's a more than reasonable start.

Most of the conference officials don't feel this way. They're the ones who'll be setting this thing up.

When the French revolutionaries freed the Bastille, the prisoners didn't go, "Hey, wait a minute. I had a scarf."

Not so fast. Where's Reilly's source for that? More crap journalism from ESPN.

Latest posts