Baylor blocking aTm to SEC

lol..

Nope. No signed contracts in place agreeing to certain terms/conditions with that much money in play.

You completely clueless.

The Big 12 conference has bylaws that govern how teams may withdraw from the conference, and any withdrawal that violates those bylaws raises the possibilities of financial penalties and other issues. The bylaws require that member schools commit to the Big 12 for five-year periods.

If a school wants to leave when a five-year period is up, it must give two years' notice. The most recently completed five-year period ended in June 2011, meaning Colorado & Nebraska had every right to leave the conference since they had not committed to another five-year period. However, the schools did not give notice by June 2009.

Consequently, Colorado & Nebraska fulfilled their five-year commitments. Nevertheless, they did not give proper notice.

Texas A&M's situation is different. A&M has every right to leave the conference. However, according to the bylaws, the Aggies are committed to the Big 12 until June 2016. Leaving before 2016 would be a violation of the bylaws. Proper notice was given, but according to the bylaws, they cannot leave until after the 2015 football season.

I think the SEC & Iowa State are being very smart. The SEC realizes that A&M's situation is very different than it would have been over a year ago. The SEC realizes that it could be sued for tortuous interference of a business relationship & any Big 12 school could sue Texas A&M in a breach of contract action.

Put it this way. What would you do if you were not even one-year into a five-year employment agreement with your employer and your employer fired you? Wouldn't you sue your employer?

Iowa State would be very stupid to waive its rights. I would not cut my own throat by agreeing not to sue unless I have very real assurances from Oklahoma & Texas that they also were not going to bolt the conference.

You completely clueless.

The Big 12 conference has bylaws that govern how teams may withdraw from the conference, and any withdrawal that violates those bylaws raises the possibilities of financial penalties and other issues. The bylaws require that member schools commit to the Big 12 for five-year periods.

If a school wants to leave when a five-year period is up, it must give two years' notice. The most recently completed five-year period ended in June 2011, meaning Colorado & Nebraska had every right to leave the conference since they had not committed to another five-year period. However, the schools did not give notice by June 2009.

Consequently, Colorado & Nebraska fulfilled their five-year commitments. Nevertheless, they did not give proper notice.

Texas A&M's situation is different. A&M has every right to leave the conference. However, according to the bylaws, the Aggies are committed to the Big 12 until June 2016. Leaving before 2016 would be a violation of the bylaws. Proper notice was given, but according to the bylaws, they cannot leave until after the 2015 football season.

I think the SEC & Iowa State are being very smart. The SEC realizes that A&M's situation is very different than it would have been over a year ago. The SEC realizes that it could be sued for tortuous interference of a business relationship & any Big 12 school could sue Texas A&M in a breach of contract action.

Put it this way. What would you do if you were not even one-year into a five-year employment agreement with your employer and your employer fired you? Wouldn't you sue your employer?

Iowa State would be very stupid to waive its rights. I would not cut my own throat by agreeing not to sue unless I have very real assurances from Oklahoma & Texas that they also were not going to bolt the conference.

Wait a sec- I thought there were no contracts in place and that I was clueless?

Maybe there's not a signedcontract, but certain guidelines are in place that teams need to follow to avoid punishment, fines, etc., are there not?

All this posturing is about how much money A&M is going to pay to get out of the B12. The $25m penalty being bandied about won't work but the B12 might get a $10m check from A&M.

Iowa State and other smaller teams aren't being smart, they have few options. The future of the B12 is up to Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and Ok State. The rest don't have the history or the footprint to attract a new suitor or the clout to enforce much action in the conference.

Latest posts