Battle Brewing Over Playoff Format

Again,the whole reason the playoff scenario has accelerated is because of the all SEC title game this year. Ratings plummeted,and the money would follow.

I agree that the plus one is the way to go. Winner of Pac 12 vs Big Ten , winner of SEC vs Big 12 usually would advance,unless one of the other leagues produces an undefeated team...then,maybe a Miami or FSU or Boise slips in. An undefeated Miami or FSU emerging after playing the top Big East/indy team in the Orange Bowl could slip in...but only then.

I think there is growing sentiment for plus one. I am for it.

I thought FSU was joining the Big 12 ;)

Probably best to separate things into "probation" champions and "non-probation" champions. Or, maybe just separate FBS into "bowl" division" and "(Pro)Bowl" division.
Or maybe a "Players Will Get Degrees Or Come Close in 5 years" division and a "These guys didn't come to 'college' they came to play football" division.

The possibilities are endless. ESPN can point the way and have an "Outside the Lines" or"30 for30" show on "why" the SEC should be able to call the shots.

You know I just read an article on ESPN....maybe all of our problems would be solved if they "made college football unprofitable"....just make a rule that all athletic departments must put any and all profits into the academic side of the university....It would stop the money grab.

Yeah, 3/4 of the SEC schools would have seriously awesome academic programs, given thatthey'd only have three or four "departments" to put the money into.

I think some of the "problem" is the fact a "January" bowl, outside of BCS games, has gotten watered down. If you had BCS games with some plus-one format, and allowed Cap One, Outback, Cotton and Gator to play January 1, it would help. Push ALL the others back to December 30 or earlier, with Peach/Chick-Fil-A and Sun, John Hancock or whatever it's called playing December 31 as that has been traditional for those.

December 30 and earlier: "the rest"
December 31: Sun, Peach
January 1: Cap One, Cotton, Gator and Outback, plus the two BCS bowls not in the "plus-one" rotation. Preserves "January 1" as "big day"
January 2/3: The two BCS bowls pitting 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3
January 9/10: BCS "play-in" winners/BCS Championship game

You know I just read an article on ESPN....maybe all of our problems would be solved if they "made college football unprofitable"....just make a rule that all athletic departments must put any and all profits into the academic side of the university....It would stop the money grab.

I don't think that would solve anything. It'd make university presidents and boards of regents/trustees want to get their hands on the big money instead of the athletic directors.

They would just redefine what was "profit."

New stadium upgrades and additions every year + breaking the bank on recruiting costs + new equipment & gear every year + etc. for every sport until the "profit" disappears entirely. Which is pretty much the way it is happening now, anyway.

Of course none of these "playoff" games will be in the BT's backyard, right? Might be cold, snowy, wet, windy and indicative of the weather we must contend with when competing in our league and formulating schemes and teams. Heaven forbid warm weather teams not play in their familiar surroundings with their fans.

Of course none of these "playoff" games will be in the BT's backyard, right? Might be cold, snowy, wet, windy and indicative of the weather we must contend with when competing in our league and formulating schemes and teams. Heaven forbid warm weather teams not play in their familiar surroundings with their fans.

Everyone likes warm games, would they treat it like a bowl game? Doesn't seem right to not be in the midwest.

Latest posts