Batted punt rule in NFL

guffus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...th-1st-punt-return-td-since-2008-1558397/amp/

Iowa should think about hiring Dwayne Harris as its special teams coach when he retires as an NFL player. He is one smart dude. Here are a couple examples of how he knows to exploit the rules in the NFL

The wide receiver watched as the Denver Broncos batted a punt inside the 1-yard line. In what seemed a brazen decision to the uninitiated, Harris then sprinted to pick up the ball at the 1-yard line. He then raced 99 yards for a touchdown, giving the Raiders their first punt return for a score since 2008.

Harris explained this rule in a locker-room interview three weeks earlier.

“A lot of people don’t know if the punt team bats the ball before it goes into the end zone, if we pick it up and we try to run with it and fumble, we still get the ball back,” Harris said on Dec. 3. “No one knows that rule. … It’s always been like that (laughs). A lot of people just don’t know that rule. A lot of people see me every time go and get the ball if they touch it. They’re like, ‘Why are you trying to get the ball?’ Because of that rule. … It helps to know the rules.”

That it does.

Harris’ general know-how proved useful on Dec. 2, too. He allowed a Kansas City Chiefs kickoff to bounce toward the end zone, hoping it’d land out of bounds. It didn’t. As the kickoff coverage team approached, Harris stepped out of bounds and touched the ball.

Because the ball was first touched out of bounds, the kickoff was illegal.

The Raiders thus took possession at their own 40-yard line

It was a smart play, but it's not that unknown of a rule. I remember being taught it in college.

Not that I don't think he'd make a good coach, but that's a pretty small sample size to base a hire on.

It was a smart play, but it's not that unknown of a rule. I remember being taught it in college.

Not that I don't think he'd make a good coach, but that's a pretty small sample size to base a hire on.

I didn't learn that in college.