Basketball mags are out!

How do you feel about Iowa's predicted 4th place finish?

• Too high, will finish lower in the standings

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • Too low, will finish higher in the standings

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • About right, I can see us finishing 4th

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Ian Pike Hammer

Picked up a copy of Street and Smith's today. They, in their infinite wisdom, have picked Iowa a to finish 4th!, despite our losses and possible losses [JBo]. Here's their predicted finish:

1. Mich. St. [no surprise, they are ALWAYS loaded]. Many have them as the #1 team in the nation, including St. n Smith.
2. Maryland [lead by All B1G guard Athony Cowan Jr., and sharpshooter Aaron Wigigns]
3. Purdue
4. Iowa
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio St.
7. Michigan [new coach]

8. Penn. St.
9. Illinois
10. Minnesota
11. Indiana [ I don't ever remember seeing the Hoosiers predicted this low, ever!]
12.Rutgers [They are on the rise, so mewhat]
13. Nebraska [snicker] [new coach also]
14. NW [too low?]

So, your thoughts? Who's too high, who's too low? How do you feel about Iowa's prediction of #4? People now have expectations for us! What does this mean for Fran's job security?

Funny, I'd say the opposite. We have two good players, two decent role players, and a bunch of unknowns. Fran's coaching (and looking at other teams) is the only reason I think we can finish top 4.
JMO but I think you (and others) are under estimating the talent on this team.

JMO but I think you (and others) are under estimating the talent on this team.

I'm not underestimating it. I'm acknowledging the fact that we don't know because we only have 4 guys who played last year. When you say we have top 4 talent at this point, what you're doing is guessing, just for the setup of bashing the coach if it does happen and giving him no credit if it does.

Last edited:
I think there is plenty of talent on the team, but PC is right, with losing 3 starters off of last years team and also losing one of the best 6th men in the league over the last 3 seasons, the only reason we would be ranked that high is due to coaching acumen. So, that's kind of back fired on the shit on your coach crowd.

I always feel like these kind of things are reactive and no proactive. I imagine 2 years ago, they had us ranked pretty highly as far as prediction. Then the shit show happened, and last season, all the them ranked us to be terrible. Now, we had a decent season, well, they rank us 4th. If we're being honest, most national rags aren't really getting into the roster. They look at things from the surface. Iowa returns JW? Also, they have bring back Garza? They likely have no idea about Jbo and probably never even heard of Isiah Moss before so I doubt there's a lot of thought that went into this.

Joe W, Garzy and Kriener are fairly well established. Season will come down to how good Joe T, CJ, Bakari, Nunge, Connor, Patrick and these types of guys can play.

It always seems difficult for first year guys to manage a full B10 schedule so I'm hesitant to put a lot of faith in new guys but I also will admit I don't know what other teams are returning either.

Right now, on paper, Iowa is a bubble team with the NIT being more likely. I can't see how anyone can predict Iowa to finish 4th in the Big Ten after losing 3 starters from last years team along with their 6th man (Baer). Perhaps the incoming players will make up the difference but right now we have no way of knowing.

Too much backcourt uncertainty to project a preseason fourth place finish.

But young players are going to get a chance to grow up fast which can help during conference season, depending on how youngsters handle the opportunity (see Purdue last year)

Too much backcourt uncertainty to project a preseason fourth place finish.

But young players are going to get a chance to grow up fast which can help during conference season, depending on how youngsters handle the opportunity (see Purdue last year)

I think the answer lies, not in us, but in the other teams in the league. I was mystified to see perennial powerhouse Michigan picked7th! Ohio St. and Wisconsin are also both picked below us. So, by default, we have moved up 3 spots right there. Minnesota loses a ton of talent and Indiana is predicted no better than 11th!. Even Illinois is picked above Minn. NW has vanished from contention, according to S&S and picked dead last. I guess we kinda inherited 4th place as it looks as if the rest of the league, [besides Mich. St, Maryland and Purdue] have fallen off somewhat. They must have some faith in us, otherwise, some of these teams would be ahead of us, potentially. If all this pans out, I do n 't see the B1G getting as many NCAA bids as last year.

I think the answer lies, not in us, but in the other teams in the league. I was mystified to see perennial powerhouse Michigan picked7th! Ohio St. and Wisconsin are also both picked below us. So, by default, we have moved up 3 spots right there. Minnesota loses a ton of talent and Indiana is predicted no better than 11th!. Even Illinois is picked above Minn. NW has vanished from contention, according to S&S and picked dead last. I guess we kinda inherited 4th place as it looks as if the rest of the league, [besides Mich. St, Maryland and Purdue] have fallen off somewhat. They must have some faith in us, otherwise, some of these teams would be ahead of us, potentially. If all this pans out, I do n 't see the B1G getting as many NCAA bids as last year.

So what your saying is the Big Ten is probably down this year. This might be one of those seasons where the Big Ten only gets 3 or 4 teams into the NCAA tournament.

So what your saying is the Big Ten is probably down this year. This might be one of those seasons where the Big Ten only gets 3 or 4 teams into the NCAA tournament.

B1G is definitely down this year. I don't know about only 3 or 4 teams getting in but a 10-10 conference finish definitely won't.

Did somebody say MAGS! Break out the 1985 Cragar mags. I'm sure Jon Miller remembers.

517ZNoqw7tL._SX425_.jpg