Basketball Bump

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is inexact, but perhaps telling. Over the past several years, traffic on this site has dropped dramatically after signing day, then picked back up in March and April before the typical May-July soft months.

Through the first 20 days of February 2012, when compared to the first 20 days of February 2011, traffic to this site is up 58% and the number of unique users to the site is up 25%. Those are enormous gains, especially in the overall number of page views being up 58%. It means more people are coming to the site and reading more items related to Iowa basketball, be it stories or posts on the forums. Given that the off topic board is now opt in to read and the views in that forum are way down compared to when it was not opt in, the traffic gains are all the more encouraging and attributable to basketball.

Site traffic and uniques were up around 10% during football season, so normal growth for an established website. But the numbers this month are mostly reflective of Iowa fans staying engaged with this basketball program.

I will take credit for this, I was still hovering around the scout site until last summer. I had forgotten how entertaining the old crew was. :D

But honestly there is a big following building back up for Iowa basketball. Iowa basketball is fun to talk about again. Also the coaching changes in football is getting quite a bit of action, especially considering how long the process is taking.

I imagine there is also an increase because of the coaching search for football. But yes...Iowa Basketball is almost relevant again and it's fun again.

I imagine there is also an increase because of the coaching search for football. But yes...Iowa Basketball is almost relevant again and it's fun again.

Yes, some of this increase has to be due to that. But in looking at the basketball forum traffic vs a year ago, its off the charts higher

there is defenite positive feel about the BB program, both in the program better and the feeling that players can advance to the next level under Fran, there are a few around that will say this team can't do this or they can't do that, or ridicule somebody suggest a player can play a certain position or move on to the next level,
but foretunately they are a small minority, the future is getting brighter and fans have a right to be excited

The world would be a better place if you axed the politics/controversialboard. Never seen so much hatred. It's deflating.

It is indeed good to see the enthusiasm and excitement surrounding the basketball program. When we are playing very well, one can see the future of Iowa basketball, and it is Bright.....

Have to agree with Duff, Herby is the main reason for the increased traffic. Herby and that Atomic Dude, the one with the puzzling posts.....

:)

It is indeed good to see the enthusiasm and excitement surrounding the basketball program. When we are playing very well, one can see the future of Iowa basketball, and it is Bright.....

Have to agree with Duff, Herby is the main reason for the increased traffic. Herby and that Atomic Dude, the one with the puzzling posts.....

:)

Atomic is the king of the clumsy sentence, whether it's about an increase in site traffic or any other topic.

Amazing what a few more wins, a more exciting style of play and bumping off 3 teams in the top 25 can do for a fan base eh?

So basically what Jon is saying, is that if the Off Topic forum was still in play for everyone and not opt in, this site would be an unstoppable force and setting records for views...instead of only being at a 58% increase while admitting that he has killed a once popular forum...

Keep fighting the good fight Freaky!

FREE OFF TOPIC! :mad:

Latest posts