Basabe

iowachief

Why didn't he play much at all in the second half last night? Was it because his defense was lacking or injury or??

Basabe was not playing well and Fran found five guys who were playing better so Basabe stayed on bench. Couldnt have done that last year but depth allowed it to happen last night.

MB will come back and help Iowa win games this year. Last night just wasnt his night.

That's probably it. If you watched the post game interview with Fran he said they observe the players early and whoever seems to be doing well, stays in the game. Everybody has their off days. Can you imagine if they were hot all at the same time! Yikes! Unstoppable.

yeah it seems like basabe gets frustrated pretty easy if things aren't going his way and it hurts his gameplay. but when he's on, he's something to watch.

Having 8 guys who can play is so nice. I was wondering the same thing about Basabe. I wasn't able to tune in until the 2nd half and was quite curious what the deal was with him, so thanks for this post.

It seems that 2-3 guys have really stepped up each of the past two games. What a great thing!

Basabe just does not match up well with big centers. He matches up better with Sully than Sampson. I think we will see a good game from him on Saturday.

The thing I have noticed about Basabe is he tends to struggle when matched up with a long player 6'10 or taller, he has trouble getting good shots off. Last night againt Sampson was not a good matchup for him, and he got in a funk early and I love Fran being able to sit him and go with someone else. I thought Archie played well defensively in the middle of the zone.
I think next year having Woodbury and Meyer is going to help Basabe a lot. He won't be matched up with 6'10 or 7'0 centers and will playing his more natural position, the 4.
He seemed to be in good spirits though on the bench in the 2nd half, so I was very encouraged by that.

He seems to play with his head down. When he drives it's like he has his mind made up what he's going to try doing and doesn't see the floor and react quickly. His confidence is obviously not very high right now. If he had a mid range game of some kind it'd help him a ton. But he's got to play with athleticism around the basket rebound and draw fouls to help this team right now.

I really think that Basabe will benefit the most next year when we can add a true center, and he can move to the 4.

He seems to play with his head down. When he drives it's like he has his mind made up what he's going to try doing and doesn't see the floor and react quickly. His confidence is obviously not very high right now. If he had a mid range game of some kind it'd help him a ton. But he's got to play with athleticism around the basket rebound and draw fouls to help this team right now.

Did you watch the Wisconsin and Purdue games? His confidence is fine and he is helping the team in multiple ways. He had a bad matchup and an off night. It happens.

Did you watch the Wisconsin and Purdue games? His confidence is fine and he is helping the team in multiple ways. He had a bad matchup and an off night. It happens.

Yes I've seen him play alot this year and in the games he doesn't look good in thats how he looks. Like a broken record. When he's confident he's a different player. In the games he plays well he's aggressive and playing around the rim in the paint. Has he had more good games or bad this yr? How many shots has he made outside the paint in his career let alone last few games. It's not very many. I agree it was a terrible matchup but if zach mccsabe is getting more inside baskets then basaabe that says more then just a bad game to me.

Basabe's off game is Zach McCabes fault! If Zach was a taller center, Sampson would have been on him, instead of Basabe. MN decided they were going to stop Basabe, so Zach stepped up with a nice game. The last 2 games, Basabe started off with a couple of nice jump shots. He didn't get those last night. McCabe and Archie don't get out on the fast break like Basabe can, but that didn't matter last night. Nice to have more depth this year to absorb off games.

The thing I have noticed about Basabe is he tends to struggle when matched up with a long player 6'10 or taller, he has trouble getting good shots off. Last night againt Sampson was not a good matchup for him, and he got in a funk early and I love Fran being able to sit him and go with someone else. I thought Archie played well defensively in the middle of the zone.
I think next year having Woodbury and Meyer is going to help Basabe a lot. He won't be matched up with 6'10 or 7'0 centers and will playing his more natural position, the 4.
He seemed to be in good spirits though on the bench in the 2nd half, so I was very encouraged by that.

I noticed this too. Gatens hit a huge bucket with just under 3:00 to go, and Mel was the most visibly excited player on the bench. This team is really bonding.

I noticed this too. Gatens hit a huge bucket with just under 3:00 to go, and Mel was the most visibly excited player on the bench. This team is really bonding.

Having fun and being rewarded with wins will do that.

Not an indictment of previous years, but it kinda is.

Latest posts