Basabe

Basabe is an easy 6'7 with a 7'0 wing span at the age of 18. By the time he's 20 he could easily be 6'9 and 7'2. To pigeon hole him as too small to play the 4 because of his build at 18 is ridiculous. If he can continue to develop his offensive game and become proficient shooting the 15-18 foot jumper that combined with his motor, athleticism, and size will be enough to get a shot in the NBA.

Let's compare Mel's freshman numbers to Craig Brackins who was drafted in the 1st round from ISU.

Brackins 6-10 230 (as a Junior)
27min 11.4ppg 5.0rpg 1.0bpg

Mel 6-7 225 (as a Freshman)
24min 11.0ppg 6.8rpg 1.3bpg

Laugh all you want I'm happy to go on record with the following. Barring a significant injury...

Mel will average a double double and be a 1st team all Big10 player as a 19 year old soph.

Mel will garner B10 player of the year attention as a junior and will flirt with the NBA.

You've already gone from the NBA "looking hard at him" to now just "flirting" with the NBA. Brackins always had range and the NBA is in love with a tall guy that has decent handles and range right now.

The NBA doesn't really give a crap about college numbers, they're looking at potential to succeed in the NBA. That's why NC and UK's 6th-8th men get drafted after playing 8 minutes a game and entering early.

Completely False.

Really? Every single person I've seen comment on Basabe regarding the NBA lists his athleticism as a positive. Every one. Somehow I don't think that would be the case if he were in the bottom half of the NBA in athleticism.

Really? Every single person I've seen comment on Basabe regarding the NBA lists his athleticism as a positive. Every one. Somehow I don't think that would be the case if he were in the bottom half of the NBA in athleticism.

It is his biggest positive right now. He's extremely raw. Elite athleticism is basically a prerequisite for getting into the NBA, he has that. He is not "easily in the top half" though. 6'8" guys who can jump out the gym are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

You've already gone from the NBA "looking hard at him" to now just "flirting" with the NBA. Brackins always had range and the NBA is in love with a tall guy that has decent handles and range right now.

The NBA doesn't really give a crap about college numbers, they're looking at potential to succeed in the NBA. That's why NC and UK's 6th-8th men get drafted after playing 8 minutes a game and entering early.

I'm not backing down from anything. For the purpose of this argument I'm happy to define both as filing paperwork with the NBA for underclassman eligibility. That would seem to both qualify as flirting and looking hard would it not?

I'm also not making the case that stats alone equal NBA caliber.

Lastly don't give me the NBA loves Brackins range BS. He's never shot above 31% from the college line which is a full foot shorter than the NBA line. The NBA didn't draft Brackins for his 3pt shooting. In fact they (along with most ISU fans I speak too) would have wished he took fewer 3pt shots than he did.

I'm not backing down from anything. For the purpose of this argument I'm happy to define both as filing paperwork with the NBA for underclassman eligibility. That would seem to both qualify as flirting and looking hard would it not?

I'm also not making the case that stats alone equal NBA caliber.

Lastly don't give me the NBA loves Brackins range BS. He's never shot above 31% from the college line which is a full foot shorter than the NBA line. The NBA didn't draft Brackins for his 3pt shooting. In fact they (along with most ISU fans I speak too) would have wished he took fewer 3pt shots than he did.

The NBA most definitely drafted Brackins for his range. Not necessarily 3-pt range, but his mid range pick and pop ability, which so far Basabe has shown no ability to knock down. Brackins also is probably never going to do **** in the league.

It is his biggest positive right now. He's extremely raw. Elite athleticism is basically a prerequisite for getting into the NBA, he has that. He is not "easily in the top half" though. 6'8" guys who can jump out the gym are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

The NBA is also crawling with guys without elite athleticism but that can straight up ball.

At random I picked the Lakers roster, are you telling me that he isn't more athletic than...

Walton
Gasol
Artest
Fisher
Bynum
Odom

To say he's in the top half of the NBA isn't really a stretch (although I'm happy to admit saying he's gonna flirt with the NBA after his JR season is)

The NBA most definitely drafted Brackins for his range. Not necessarily 3-pt range, but his mid range pick and pop ability, which so far Basabe has shown no ability to knock down. Brackins also is probably never going to do **** in the league.

Agreed with the bold.

If Mel develops a respectable face up jumper from 15-18 that is more than enough to make his game translate to the NBA.

Again the kid was 18 years old last year.

The NBA is also crawling with guys without elite athleticism but that can straight up ball.

At random I picked the Lakers roster, are you telling me that he isn't more athletic than...

Walton
Gasol
Artest
Fisher
Bynum
Odom

To say he's in the top half of the NBA isn't really a stretch (although I'm happy to admit saying he's gonna flirt with the NBA after his JR season is)

I'll let you have the other 3 that are not in bold, and even that is pushing it. Bynum is kind of a freak when he's healthy. Walton is white so apples to oranges there. Fisher is 40 years old, so it's a little tough to measure.

The 3 in bold. You're just crazy. Those guys are Elite athletes. Gasol has amazing feet and a nice shooting touch for a 7 footer, not to mention he's one of the best passing big men. Artest guards 3 positions and is huge. He gets anywhere he wants on the court. His brain is the problem not his athleticism. And Odom, you've just got to be joking. 6' 10", point guard handles, range, can create his own shot.

I'll let you have the other 3 that are not in bold, and even that is pushing it. Bynum is kind of a freak when he's healthy. Walton is white so apples to oranges there. Fisher is 40 years old, so it's a little tough to measure.

The 3 in bold. You're just crazy. Those guys are Elite athletes. Gasol has amazing feet and a nice shooting touch for a 7 footer, not to mention he's one of the best passing big men. Artest guards 3 positions and is huge. He gets anywhere he wants on the court. His brain is the problem not his athleticism. And Odom, you've just got to be joking. 6' 10", point guard handles, range, can create his own shot.

That doesn't mean he is more athletic, he just has great technique. I agree with you on Artest and Odom.

I do think Basabe has a shot to make an NBA roster if he adds a couple more inches and fills out his frame.

I'm not talking basketball skills I'm talking athleticism. Quickness, foot speed, and jumping ability.

:confused:Relevance?? Ryan was a 6' 7"or so (tweener), with no shot at 15', and no back to the basket game and about half as athletic as Basabe.(No cut on Bowen) I think he got a sniff didnt he?

In a world with no European players, Ryan Bowen is an NBA draft pick. That world was the mid-late 90's.

His athleticism is in the top half of the NBA? Hopefully you have your water wings on so you don't drown in the kool-aid pool you are swimming in. He didn't make the 19U team dude, but he is an elite athlete who is going to leave early. Got it. To leave early you have to dominate at the college level, not be a nice player.

His athleticism is in the top half of the NBA? Hopefully you have your water wings on so you don't drown in the kool-aid pool you are swimming in. He didn't make the 19U team dude, but he is an elite athlete who is going to leave early. Got it. To leave early you have to dominate at the college level, not be a nice player.

Yawn.

Walton
Gasol
Artest
Fisher
Bynum
Odom

A better athlete than Odom? You're out of your freaking mind.

Basabe has 3 years to develope the skills needed to make it in the NBA, we need to watch and enjoy his progress under Fran, i believe we have the type of staff that not only recruits but can develope that talent

odom is 610 is versatile and has some baseball skills but I'd put mel over him in terms of pure athleticism any day.

odom is 610 is versatile and has some baseball skills but I'd put mel over him in terms of pure athleticism any day.
Yeah, no. Basabe can't do this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW7Bgl8AiDE&NR=1]Lamar Odom Posterizes Kendrick Perkins - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts