Basabe or McCabe?

UncleHawk

Everybody says Gabe and Woody aren't ready to start. Yet the thing is, if Gabe keeps developing and Woody comes on as expected, one of them is likely to start while Basabe and McCabe are still at Iowa, perhaps sooner than later the way this staff is starting to develop players. At that point, either Basabe or McCabe will come off the bench. Who will it be?

I think with the pace that Fran likes to play that starting is not that important. I think minutes per game is more important.

Ideally we will have two five man teams that are interchangeable with a couple of spare players for added depth.

I think you start McCabe, let Basabe come off the bench.
Zach's probably going to get into foul trouble most of his career, so minutes are at premium with him.

I think you start McCabe, let Basabe come off the bench.Zach's probably going to get into foul trouble most of his career, so minutes are at premium with him.

i agree...i think mel found a nice niche last yr and it allowed him to see the flow of the game and really maximize what he could do at the end of the yr.

I would at least give the opportunity to start to Basabe unless McCabe is just clearly better. This is assuming Basabe plays more like he did as a freshman than a soph.

You know what kind of effort your going to get out of McCabe whether he starts or not, Basabe may not play with the same confidence if he becomes a permanent bench player.

Plus McCabe just seems like a someone who can come in and change the game more dramatically on offense with his ability to shoot and drive if the team is struggling to score.

Its good to have a guy like that who has high energy and can score comming off the bench.

Personally I would rather see Basabe start. He really turned it on at the end of the year, and has more overall talent than McCabe. McCabe is a great hustle/energy guy off the bench. I think McCabe offers more value off the bench, but that's just my opinion. I also like what Basabe offers on defense more assuming that we don't have a repeat of 3/4 of last season.

I don't like Basabe. Too much hype, not enough results.

If the light has truly come on for Basabe, I think he gets the start. McCabe is a more versatile player who can be substituted for a variety of positions and situations and be effective.

If McCabe keeps hitting 3s during the season at the rate he is in the PTL, it's going to be hard to keep him out of the starting line-up. But if he keeps fouling like he has so far in his career, even with more time at PF that he's expected to get this year, it's got to be because he's not quick enough. In this case, unless we need his shooting in the starting line-up, I'd prefer his coming off the bench, and play him a lot if he doesn't get quick fouls. This is, of course, assuming Basabe makes a high motor a habit. If he does, then he brings a nice combo of O in the paint (he's worked well with Gesell in the PTL) and weakside D. But if Basabe's high-motor habit fails, start McCabe. It's great to have competition, especially when the players are happy about it.

I'd like to see McCabe and Basabe play about equal minutes and spell each other so they can go full speed at all times. I don't really see either of them getting much more than 20 mpg though.

At the 3 I'd say about 15 minutes each for McCabe and Basabe, with May scooping up the last 10 (and possibly more than 10 for May, and consequently less for McCabe/Basabe, if May is completely healed from his injuries).

At the 4:
32 mpg White
4 mpg McCabe
4 mpg Basabe

And that's assuming Marble gets all of his minutes in the backcourt, and that Woody/Olaseni/Meyer all strictly play the 5. May could see an increased role too if he is completely healed from his injuries. There just aren't a lot of frontcourt minutes to go around.

I'd like to see McCabe and Basabe play about equal minutes and spell each other so they can go full speed at all times. I don't really see either of them getting much more than 20 mpg though.At the 3 I'd say about 15 minutes each for McCabe and Basabe, with May scooping up the last 10 (and possibly more than 10 for May, and consequently less for McCabe/Basabe, if May is completely healed from his injuries).At the 4:32 mpg White4 mpg McCabe4 mpg BasabeAnd that's assuming Marble gets all of his minutes in the backcourt, and that Woody/Olaseni/Meyer all strictly play the 5. May could see an increased role too if he is completely healed from his injuries. There just aren't a lot of frontcourt minutes to go around.

you do realize the 2 and 3 positions are the same in fran's offense just on different sides of the court. may said this when gatens was hurt and he was practicing at the 2. iowa plays a pg (1) , 2 wings (2 & 3), high post (4) and low post (5).

The one who plays the best, most consistent defense will start and get the benefit of the doubt with minutes. Right now that is McCabe.

I think you start McCabe, let Basabe come off the bench.
Zach's probably going to get into foul trouble most of his career, so minutes are at premium with him.

How about giving the start to Basabe, so that Zach can get a feel for the game. That way maybe McCabe can have a better sense of the game and cut down on the fouls? It would be interesting to see his stats on could per game when starting verse not starting...

you do realize the 2 and 3 positions are the same in fran's offense just on different sides of the court. may said this when gatens was hurt and he was practicing at the 2. iowa plays a pg (1) , 2 wings (2 & 3), high post (4) and low post (5).

Then the only option to get Basabe or McCabe minutes is to play them at the 4/5 leaving less minutes for White and the centers. Or play McCabe at a wing position, as I assume we don't want Basabe at a wing since he can't shoot.

Then the only option to get Basabe or McCabe minutes is to play them at the 4/5 leaving less minutes for White and the centers. Or play McCabe at a wing position, as I assume we don't want Basabe at a wing since he can't shoot.

it has been said that white will play the 3 some...mccabe probably will play the 3 a little but my guess is that white will play it more than mccabe. either way both are defensive liabilities at the 3.

I'd like to see McCabe and Basabe play about equal minutes and spell each other so they can go full speed at all times. I don't really see either of them getting much more than 20 mpg though.At the 3 I'd say about 15 minutes each for McCabe and Basabe, with May scooping up the last 10 (and possibly more than 10 for May, and consequently less for McCabe/Basabe, if May is completely healed from his injuries).At the 4:32 mpg White4 mpg McCabe4 mpg BasabeAnd that's assuming Marble gets all of his minutes in the backcourt, and that Woody/Olaseni/Meyer all strictly play the 5. May could see an increased role too if he is completely healed from his injuries. There just aren't a lot of frontcourt minutes to go around.

Mel ain't playn the 3

Let em fight it out in practice this fall is what I say. I'm not handing it to either one today or based off of last yr or PTL. Yea take some of that into account but let this team come together in practice this fall and I'm sure coach will go with who's playing better overall. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Competition should bring out the best in these guys they all seem hungry

Latest posts