Barta says Hubbard had NO extra restrictions

Why would they put any restrictions on Hub? He is just like any other 26 year old college player that spent 4 years in prison.

I believe him because:

1. If there were restrictions on him and he violated them they would have simply released a statement that said he is being kicked off the team for violation of 'team rules'. There is no reason to cover it up because if it comes back later that they were lying it makes them look even worse.

2. There is no reason to lie about putting extra restrictions on him. Everyone would except the fact that there were extra restrictions.

I believe him because:

1. If there were restrictions on him and he violated them they would have simply released a statement that said he is being kicked off the team for violation of 'team rules'. There is no reason to cover it up because if it comes back later that they were lying it makes them look even worse.

2. There is no reason to lie about putting extra restrictions on him. Everyone would except the fact that there were extra restrictions.

Sure there is a reason to no publicly say he violated team rules. Bringing on a felon who was in jail for 4 years and than having to kick him off 1 month after he got there would have looked bad for the university. Easier to just say he wanted to look elsewhere. Smart play by the university IMO

Iowa continually has PR nightmares, it is mind boggling how poor the communication is in the athletic department.

Why would Hubbard have special treatment? Until he did something negative in Iowa City or under Coach Fran's watch, why should he be treated different? People act like he is fourtunate to be give another chance...dude spent FOUR years in jail. He paid the price and did not get away with anything.

Sure there is a reason to no publicly say he violated team rules. Bringing on a felon who was in jail for 4 years and than having to kick him off 1 month after he got there would have looked bad for the university. Easier to just say he wanted to look elsewhere. Smart play by the university IMO

This. All about saving face.

I disagree. The rumor is that he violated some stupid rule and it is not something illegal. It looks worse if the University is covering something up. Everyone already knew that it was a risk taking the kid so it wouldn't come as a surprise if he did something to get kicked off the team. How is telling people he did something look worse for the University than saying he didn't do anything but then having everyone continually speculating on what Hubbard did to get kicked off of the team?

I disagree. The rumor is that he violated some stupid rule and it is not something illegal. It looks worse if the University is covering something up. Everyone already knew that it was a risk taking the kid so it wouldn't come as a surprise if he did something to get kicked off the team. How is telling people he did something look worse for the University than saying he didn't do anything but then having everyone continually speculating on what Hubbard did to get kicked off of the team?

This. They already look bad, because everyone already assumes that he did something to get booted. They aren't saving a whole lot of face. Like keeping Audrey Hepburn's eyes, but getting Sarah Jessica Parker for the rest of their facial features. That is still one ugly woman.

Hate to say it, but I come to expect this with Iowa basketball. We will probably land Woodbury and before the season starts he will decide to forego basketball to take up classical piano.

I wonder what the combined salaries are of the folks who thought this Hubbard thing was a good idea. Fran needs to check himself before he wrecks himself with these awful decisions. Thank goodness the dude left under ambiguous circumstances vs. some actual domestic or legal matter. McCaffrey has to be smarter than this moving forward. No more stupid, predictable off the court BS.

barta is not going to blatantly lie in a press release. everything he does is under constant scrutiny with the FOI ACT and if he lied he would be fired.

so, try to think of a situation that could have happened that could still be described by barta's comments, and there you will find your answer about what happened.

Agreed. No matter how they spin it though, Fran comes off looking terrible in this whole process.

barta is not going to blatantly lie in a press release. everything he does is under constant scrutiny with the FOI ACT and if he lied he would be fired.

so, try to think of a situation that could have happened that could still be described by barta's comments, and there you will find your answer about what happened.

It's pretty easy, he did something that another guy on the team might get a slap on the wrist for, he get's shown the door.

The press release didn't say anything about how they would enforce the rules differently for him just that their weren't any special rules.

It's pretty easy, he did something that another guy on the team might get a slap on the wrist for, he get's shown the door.

The press release didn't say anything about how they would enforce the rules differently for him just that their weren't any special rules.

Yep, zero tolerance.

This is what I said two weeks ago and DuffMan blasted me. I said that it wasn't drinking. Which it could not of been based off of these statements. 21 old teams don't have a no drinking restriction.

Latest posts