Barta, Iowa Athletics Department, Hammered by espnW

At the very least, I would like some answers from Barta. I don't think there is much here but its looks fishy so come out and explain your actions.

This. I'm no Barta apologist. In fact I don't really like the guy, much like most of the fans on here but there hhas to be a reason for the firing outside of him going rogue and disregarding the investigation committee's findings to make his own decision. There's definitely more than meets the eye here.

Another "victim" who's been kept down by the man.

On another note, I had no idea there was such a thing as ESPNW.:p

The field hockey coach was in a long term relationship with Jane Meyer, Sr. Associate AD, and Senior Woman Administrator. Part of the review found that she supposedly took problems and concerns to Meyer, going outside the chain of command that all other coaches had to follow.

Shame on the author of the article for omitting this piece of information.

I applaud the athletic department for taking action, even if they do not admit that this contributed to the final decision to terminate the FH coach.

I have been in the exact same position in regards to one of my former bosses, an my company at the time chose to look the other way. It is a slippery slope in today's world of political correctness and affirmative action. If it comes to it, both women could claim that their relationship is just heresay, and that they were just roommates. Meanwhile, the AD gets painted as homophobic.

The field hockey coach was in a long term relationship with Jane Meyer, Sr. Associate AD, and Senior Woman Administrator. Part of the review found that she supposedly took problems and concerns to Meyer, going outside the chain of command that all other coaches had to follow.

So she's outta here lickity split...

Nice picture of Barta in the article.....kind of looks like this guy......

1165854627.jpg

I thought there was more then one student complaining but that's neither here nor there. That's not even a revenue sport. A coach male or female that is asking for field hockey to be on the same playing field as the football coach is out of her mind and don't deserve a job to begin with. She can't be looked at on the same level as even the female basketball coach for crying out loud. (off subject, does girls basketball make money or is it propped up by mens bball/football?)

She's getting her buyout nothing has been done wrong. She's an at will employee and can be fired for looking cross eyed at the AD. If they can hire someone else for less money to do the same job that nobody cares about if they win or lose or not then they can do that too. He doesn't need a reason he just doesn't. Hence the buyout being paid. So make no mistake what this is really about is her relationship with the associate AD and her thinking it's about her being a lesbian. When it comes lawsuit time that's what it'll be centered on not this other stuff. Cause that's where she can sue for the big big bucks. It's about money. School will end up settling and that'll be it. In the mean time Barta has a headache on his hands.

Agree, the last time I checked field hockey coaches don't earn tenure.

Barta has proven to be a very good fundraiser, but the success of Iowa's athletic department under his leadership is absolutely pathetic. Least successful in the Big Ten.

Of course, she states female coaches are not being treated fairly and she needs to do things outside the norm in order to accomplish things, or something like that. She mentions something to the effect that female coaches do not have an advocate in the department. Potentially that could explain going outside the chain of command.

Field hockey has been very strong at Iowa since at least the early 1980s, maybe before. And she had what appears to be a damn good record. As far as I am concerned he better have a damn good reason to fire her. Whether many think it is important or not, his overall record in "other" sports isn't very good and it is part of his job to run all of the programs. There were several quotes that indicate he doesn't do much of that with the women's programs. He can't win at these other programs but Iowa has one of the top revenue producing athletic departments in the NCAA. That doesn't reflect well on him.

Look at Nebraska as a school that places importance on winning in ALL programs. It can be done and is done right in our own backyard.

In the article it pointed out in remarks from female coaches that male coaches are treated differently. It didn't say wrestling, football and men's basketball coaches. They said male coaches. Now he fires a female coach that was very successful and pays off the buyout. If there is a lawsuit and Iowa pays more money, then he basically fired one of his best coaches for no good reason and got the school a black eye with a lawsuit that cost them money. And chances are the next coach isn't as good.

Some might think I am full of it or don't know what I am talking about, but this could get Barta out the door at Iowa. He might end up gone and most of you might think it is for other reasons. But in reality it might be for this. It might be a year or two, but I can see it happening.

Of course, she states female coaches are not being treated fairly and she needs to do things outside the norm in order to accomplish things, or something like that. She mentions something to the effect that female coaches do not have an advocate in the department. Potentially that could explain going outside the chain of command.

Field hockey has been very strong at Iowa since at least the early 1980s, maybe before. And she had what appears to be a damn good record. As far as I am concerned he better have a damn good reason to fire her. Whether many think it is important or not, his overall record in "other" sports isn't very good and it is part of his job to run all of the programs. There were several quotes that indicate he doesn't do much of that with the women's programs. He can't win at these other programs but Iowa has one of the top revenue producing athletic departments in the NCAA. That doesn't reflect well on him.

Look at Nebraska as a school that places importance on winning in ALL programs. It can be done and is done right in our own backyard.

In the article it pointed out in remarks from female coaches that male coaches are treated differently. It didn't say wrestling, football and men's basketball coaches. They said male coaches. Now he fires a female coach that was very successful and pays off the buyout. If there is a lawsuit and Iowa pays more money, then he basically fired one of his best coaches for no good reason and got the school a black eye with a lawsuit that cost them money. And chances are the next coach isn't as good.

Some might think I am full of it or don't know what I am talking about, but this could get Barta out the door at Iowa. He might end up gone and most of you might think it is for other reasons. But in reality it might be for this. It might be a year or two, but I can see it happening.
The president of the university was in full support. SHE and HER involvement weren't referenced in the article. And, you talk about 'not having' an advocate in the department.... You mean, sleeping with the #2 in command, and the point person for women's athletics isn't and advocate?

Barta has proven to be a very good fundraiser, but the success of Iowa's athletic department under his leadership is absolutely pathetic. Least successful in the Big Ten.

Being a great fundraiser at IOWA...is much like shooting fish in a barrel. An average AD could do it. I'm not impressed.

Show me a guy who knows how to recruit winning coaches and build a culture the expects Champions...along with academic credibility.

Problem is, you have to get through the East Campus filter...to do that.

Yeah these people against the "culture" of support for field hockey don't really get it. It's a revenue losing sport, essentially a product for only the students and their families. They can't afford to have a coach or anyone involved that is at risk of costing the University bad public relationships or money through lawsuits. If they have enough evidence of "trouble" that could create a profile on you as a risky employee, you're going to get the pink slip. While not handled the best, I'm sure they only went this route because over accumulation of evidence of being a problem coach.

Has nothing to do if your women or man for certain implications. Football or basketball have a lot more revenue and support riding on the performance of coaches. They absolutely are afforded more margin for error in behavior as long as it's legal. Iowa can't only be concerned about the students, which obviously do come first, but they also have to answer to appeasing thousands of fans.

If there was a losing football coach and the addition of similar issues of the field hockey coach, then you'd see the boot. But as long as Ferentz wins enough to keep 65,000 fans coming to the game, he probably would get away with calling someone fat, slamming a chair on espn, or dating an administrator.

Probably no different than how much leeway in behavior of a manager at a small run business compared to a the CEO of a large corporation, male or female.

Wait, are you meaning sexual relationship or professional relationship? Obviously that changes the level of appropriateness.

I don't know who either of these people are.

Maybe she had some additional "dirt" on Barta...and sexism in the workplace was the only way to fight back...

As AD at U of I, fund raising may be a primary function, but it also is one that can be led by any competent AD that is there. U of I athletic dept as a whole has not been producing consistent comprehensive athletic results (nationally or in B1G) for sometime. The apparent emphasis on results appears to have slowly diminished over the past years, regardless of whether the culture is the same, better, or worse as well. While football and bball are clearly (and as they should be, from a fan and revenue perspective) more visible, they too have not exactly produced consistent results that we have achieved in the past. (albeit, Fran and Brands are on upswings).

I'm just going by the eyeball test here and what is written and said elsewhere beyond HN, but Im guessing the facts or data in Barta's time with Iowa show less than stellar accomplishments compared to Elliot, Bowlsby, et al. Maybe this added "heat" is the catylist to see a change in some capacity at that level.

Wait, are you meaning sexual relationship or professional relationship? Obviously that changes the level of appropriateness.

I don't know who either of these people are.

Decade-long personal relationship, including cohabitation.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2014/11/06/Sports/39892.html

Griesbaum, who identifies as gay and according to Newkirk, was close to publicly disclosing her relationship with Senior Associate Athletics Director Jane Meyer before being fired, has recently started to realize that sexual orientation may have well come into play in the decision to fire her.

I don't think that's the big news in the story. The story is accusing the athletic department of engaging in overt, institutionalized sexism that unjustly costs women their jobs.

That story all but completely ignores the fact that most of those coaches' teams were downright terrible. Dingman never led the volleyball team to a B1G finish better than 6-14, and she won just 5 B1G matches in her final three seasons. The women's golf program is constantly terrible, and so is the rowing team (that coach actually was abusive, too). Blevins was turning the softball program into a 2003-04 JoePa situation. The other thing worth noting is that I believe all but one of the coaches brought in to replace the aforementioned coaches are women.

I'm not saying this Griesbaum ordeal has been nothing short of a hot mess, but to take that and try to turn it into something bigger based on the firings of several other coaches of terrible programs is ridiculous. If we can't fire coaches for sort of pathetic performance record that some of those coaches had, then I ******* give up. We're all dead.

Latest posts