Barta has an Ace up his Sleeve

I would say it is much more likely he fired Lick because he couldn't win, recruit talent and more players were going to transfer than he had a "secret" big time coach ready to take the job.

Occam's Razor would suggest that this is the case.

What is shocking is that while many here were delusional at first, believing that a major coach would come here and rescue us, many of you have continued to feed that delusion (rather than face reality) and develop an elaborate fantasy where Barta is throwing out red herrings and double and triple crossing the fans to throw them off the scent of his super-secret hire.

Occam's Razor would suggest that this is the case.

What is shocking is that while many here were delusional at first, believing that a major coach would come here and rescue us, many of you have continued to feed that delusion (rather than face reality) and develop an elaborate fantasy where Barta is throwing out red herrings and double and triple crossing the fans to throw them off the scent of his super-secret hire.

Ghost, Are Mark Gottfried, Paul Hewitt and Steve Lavin Major coaches far beyond our reach? Barta has not been the one throwing out the names of who he has interviewed. No one is suggesting he is sending fans on a wild goose chase. I am suggesting that he probably will interview some underwhelming names before hiring HIS guy. I am not saying it will be Dixon or Drew or Pearl...But my gut is it won't be a no name mid -major coach like the ones we have heard about being interviewed.

I still say that the names we have heard are not ALL of the names that Barta is going to contact. One would think so anyway. Again, did we hear anything at all about Lickliter until basically the day he was hired? Not that I remember. I'm sure there are other names are Barta's list.

I can't believe that Barta hasn't put his feelers out to gauge interested of other coaches that are still coaching in the tournament, like Pearl and Drew - regardless of whether we have a legit shot at them. I have no clue who Barta's #1 choice is, and I don't really dare to speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised if the hire is nobody that we are hearing about. Just like 3 years ago.

Flyhawk, Go take a look at Lavin's resume. He would be a huge step up from Lick and Alford. Also a PR splash. Took UCLA to many sweet 16's and really wants to get back into coaching. Lavin is not my top choice...but better IMO than the names mentioned as having been interviewed.

I agree that Lavin would have great potential.
Let's face reality--The odds of Lavin to Iowa are LOW!

I think there are several reasons why he hasn't coached
in the last 7 yrs:

1. He's got a pretty good gig in his former line of work
without all of the STRESS of coaching and everything
that goes with it.

2. I assume he made good money on his UCLA buyout.

3. He's married to a Movie Star.
I can hear it now. "Honey, We're moving to Iowa City, IA!"

If we can convince him that he's the man to help the "Phoenix rise
from the ashes" I'll jump for joy.

But in the meantime--Stay Real!

I wonder if Barta didnt use all of his ace cards getting our Football Coach.
Let's hope not.

Is it an Ace... or an Acie?
Acie+Earl.jpg

I agree that Lavin would have great potential.
Let's face reality--The odds of Lavin to Iowa are LOW!

I think there are several reasons why he hasn't coached
in the last 7 yrs:

1. He's got a pretty good gig in his former line of work
without all of the STRESS of coaching and everything
that goes with it.

2. I assume he made good money on his UCLA buyout.

3. He's married to a Movie Star.
I can hear it now. "Honey, We're moving to Iowa City, IA!"

If we can convince him that he's the man to help the "Phoenix rise
from the ashes" I'll jump for joy.

But in the meantime--Stay Real!

I wonder if Barta didnt use all of his ace cards getting our Football Coach.
Let's hope not.

Barta didn't get us our football coach. The only coach he got us was Licklighter. I'm guessing he's still has all four of his aces left.

Last edited:
You're right...that's my getting older memory at work. I'm sort
of concerned Gary thinks he's playing Crazy Eights.

Intentional or not, putting out a list of mid-major coaches that are unremarkable does end up making some guys sound better in the end. Brownell,Boylen or Gregory? ...if he ends up with Gregory,he will get some love from fans simply because it is not Brownell or Boylen.

Now, if the word was out that he was thinking of re-hiring lick...hell, Brownell would look great!

I am thumps ^ for Lavin!

He is huge on the AAU circuit, which would mean instant recruiting connections.

His resume includes plenty of NCAA tourney experience, including 5 sweet 16's.

He has got his name out to all of the top talent in the country, obviously.

His national exposure as a tv analyst makes him recognizable to all young basketball talent.

He wants to coach again.

That's enough right there! If he wants the job, give it to him. It will instantly change the face of Iowa basketball and in a positive light.

I am thumps ^ for Lavin!

He is huge on the AAU circuit, which would mean instant recruiting connections.

His resume includes plenty of NCAA tourney experience, including 5 sweet 16's.

He has got his name out to all of the top talent in the country, obviously.

His national exposure as a tv analyst makes him recognizable to all young basketball talent.

He wants to coach again.

That's enough right there! If he wants the job, give it to him. It will instantly change the face of Iowa basketball and in a positive light.

And ignore the fact that Lavin probably doesn't want to come to Iowa? Why would Lavin turn down interviews from Arizona, USC, Memphis, and others in the past few years, and instead show great interest in Iowa, which is the bottom of the CBB barrel.

Something tells me if Lavin is going to get back into coaching, he isn't going to come to a gutter program like Iowa.

And ignore the fact that Lavin probably doesn't want to come to Iowa? Why would Lavin turn down interviews from Arizona, USC, Memphis, and others in the past few years, and instead show great interest in Iowa, which is the bottom of the CBB barrel.

Something tells me if Lavin is going to get back into coaching, he isn't going to come to a gutter program like Iowa.

Or maybe he wants to see if he can still do it. Iowa would be the ultimate test. Maybe he is only finally ready this year to get back into it too. (Devils advocate only, I don't really buy it!)

Uh-oh. Ghost doesn't like it! Time to

dog-pooping.jpg

on

iowa.gif

Tell me where I was wrong, and I will gladly apologize and retract my comments
"Iowa, which is the bottom of the CBB barrel"

May I Present:
Hartford
UMBC
Albany
Fordham
USC Upstate
Florida Gulf Coast
Stetson
DePaul
Gardner-Webb
Presbyterian
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Sacramento State
Tulane
Delaware
Chicago State
Texas-Pan American
North Carolina Central
Cal State Bakersfield
SIU-Edwardsville
Pennsylvania
Dartmouth
Illinois-Chicago
Youngstown State
Marist
Toledo
Evansville
Florida A&M
Coppin State
Wagner
Bryant University
Tennessee State
Southeast Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Central Arkansas
Elon
Georgia Southern
Centenary
Southern Utah
Mississippi Valley State
Grambling State
Southern University
Alcorn State
Arkansas-Little Rock
New Orleans
FIU

"Iowa, which is the bottom of the CBB barrel"

May I Present:
Hartford
UMBC
Albany
Fordham
USC Upstate
Florida Gulf Coast
Stetson
DePaul
Gardner-Webb
Presbyterian
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Sacramento State
Tulane
Delaware
Chicago State
Texas-Pan American
North Carolina Central
Cal State Bakersfield
SIU-Edwardsville
Pennsylvania
Dartmouth
Illinois-Chicago
Youngstown State
Marist
Toledo
Evansville
Florida A&M
Coppin State
Wagner
Bryant University
Tennessee State
Southeast Missouri State
Tennessee-Martin
Central Arkansas
Elon
Georgia Southern
Centenary
Southern Utah
Mississippi Valley State
Grambling State
Southern University
Alcorn State
Arkansas-Little Rock
New Orleans
FIU

Depaul only power conference school in this list. So maybe Iowa is amongst these? You be the judge.:p

Fair enough. Iowa is the bottom of the barrel as far as big boy basketball goes. We can continiue to claim our superiority over Directional State A&M from the Alphabet Soup conference.

Is it an Ace... or an Acie?
Acie+Earl.jpg

No, it's the coach of the Evansville Aces......can someone look up his name?

Or maybe it's one of those guys from PokerStar.com. The other team would never know what we're going to call because you can't read their face.