Barta Are you for real?

From the article;

“Oklahoma State's 2018 recruiting class finished 32nd in ESPN's national rankings. Previous classes have ranked 35th, 46th, 34th, 28th and 27th. Gundy has coached the Cowboys to three consecutive 10-win seasons, six 10-win seasons in the past eight and six AP top-20 finishes since 2010.”

How would it be to have an AD like this??? This is how it suppose to be. Constantly striving to be better and to improve. Not this floating face down mindset like we have in Iowa.

OSU does have those ocean beaches to help draw recruits in. :rolleyes:

I suppose a few “barely above the Iowa State food chain” are getting out a map to see what ocean borders Oklahoma. Probably the same few that like Barta and also the ones who are satisfied with the 7-5 seasons.

How many conference championships does Oklahoma State have since 1999? How many does Iowa have? You will bitch and say that they aren’t out right championships that Iowa has. It’s still more than one Oklahoma State has. Just because he is loud and brash doesn’t make him more successful than KF. Both teams have the same number national championships. None.

What makes you think he’s better than KF? I am sure I know what you will say. But say it, just the same.

I dont know how to enlighten you about this but there better be a couple of other good games to be the replacements. We play a pretty crappy non con schedule

You do realize that we are only giving up one game it is either Drake or UNI, correct, and not both, correct?

The games in Des Moines are pretty dead anyway. I have been to every one of them, and each year a sparse crowd gets even more sparse the following year. It was time to kill that game in Des Moines.
Yea maybe the games in Des Moines dont draw sell outs, But there were quite a few non conference games at Carver that were totally dead. And there will be more like it in the future
One thing Iowa better keep in mind is marketing the program to younger people. I dare say the average age of a fan attending both basketball and football is getting pretty old! Playing in Des Moines gives a lot of kids a chance to see the Hawks and the other teams and hopefully they will be the fans down the road
Otherwise you better get ready to watch soccer at Kinnick

Gutless Gary would give him a life time contract.[/QUOTEo
How many conference championships does Oklahoma State have since 1999? How many does Iowa have? You will bitch and say that they aren’t out right championships that Iowa has. It’s still more than one Oklahoma State has. Just because he is loud and brash doesn’t make him more successful than KF. Both teams have the same number national championships. None.

What makes you think he’s better than KF? I am sure I know what you will say. But say it, just the same.

I am glad that you pointed out that it took their coach ten years to equal the achievement’s of our twenty year coach. WRONG, not the same. Also you had to go back that far. A comparison of the last ten years makes KF look pathetic. Also, how do the salaries stack up? That’s just a question as I don’t know but I have a hunch that over the past ten years Kirk made more. Getting out done by effing Oklahoma State that is in a shithole of a state and city.

I am glad that you pointed out that it took their coach ten years to equal the achievement’s of our twenty year coach. WRONG, not the same. Also you had to go back that far. A comparison of the last ten years makes KF look pathetic. Also, how do the salaries stack up? That’s just a question as I don’t know but I have a hunch that over the past ten years Kirk made more. Getting out done by effing Oklahoma State that is in a shithole of a state and city.

I am sure as far as you are concerned nothing KF has done was ever right or even pretty good. If he ever had any really good season surely you would explain that away and not give him credit. People like you only give blame.

Out of curiosity, can you come up with any great thing or strong accomplishment that KF has has? Probably not. Then you would be on record as giv8ng him credit for something. And you can’t be on the record for that.

oh absolutely, they can barely hold on to him. That was my point. Either that AD is gonna get shown the door for being a dip shit, or Gundy isn't gonna be feeling the love and bolt. It's all fun to act like you want an AD with a big stick, but Gundy is the best thing going for that shit hole program in a bad town. You been to Okie City? It's a truck stop and his name comes up every time an SEC job opens up
Lawton, Oklahoma, which is about same size as Iowa City or Sioux City, may be the worst excuse of a city yet. Unless you have some kind of business with the nearby Fort Sill military base there is no reason whatsoever for it to exist. It reminds me of some of the cities in Nebraska.

Over the last 10 years, KF has managed 82 wins, winning 63% of his games. That is good for #20 of all P5 teams, I would hardly call that "pathetic".

Yea maybe the games in Des Moines dont draw sell outs, But there were quite a few non conference games at Carver that were totally dead. And there will be more like it in the future
One thing Iowa better keep in mind is marketing the program to younger people. I dare say the average age of a fan attending both basketball and football is getting pretty old! Playing in Des Moines gives a lot of kids a chance to see the Hawks and the other teams and hopefully they will be the fans down the road
Otherwise you better get ready to watch soccer at Kinnick

That is not only a Iowa problem. I moved to the Des Moines area in '99 and it seemed like there was a 50/50 split between Iowa and Iowa St. fans. Now everywhere I go I feel like I am outnumbered 5 to 1. You go to Iowa City and you see people wearing Iowa St. gear, that was like taboo when I was growing up. Pollard may be an arrogant turd, but they have done a better job of reaching out to younger people.

Marketing to Millennials and Generation Z is tricky, they may not have the disposal income of the baby boomers or GenXers, but they need to be "entertained". You can't take them for granted the way you could previous generations. Like I stated before, it is not just an Iowa problem.

That is not only a Iowa problem. I moved to the Des Moines area in '99 and it seemed like there was a 50/50 split between Iowa and Iowa St. fans. Now everywhere I go I feel like I am outnumbered 5 to 1. You go to Iowa City and you see people wearing Iowa St. gear, that was like taboo when I was growing up. Pollard may be an arrogant turd, but they have done a better job of reaching out to younger people.

Marketing to Millennials and Generation Z is tricky, they may not have the disposal income of the baby boomers or GenXers, but they need to be "entertained". You can't take them for granted the way you could previous generations. Like I stated before, it is not just an Iowa problem.
I have never been to Hilton for a game, but I've seen enough of them on TV. Carver isn't as bad as some make it out to be but for game atmosphere it's no Hilton. Games at Hilton Coliseum look like a rock concert atmosphere. Carver isn't terrible but it's more like Jack Trice field to Hilton's Kinnick Stadium.

As for your millennial marketing comment I can tell you first hand from raising three of them, 20, 18, and 14 years of age. It does take a different marketing tact to reach them. They are more aware and better informed and used to making adult decisions at a younger age. Hell, I know a couple kids who took college level courses their entire senior year of high school. They're on track to graduate in two and a half years if they choose to do so. They are growing up faster than ever and if you can't "entertain" them as you say they will have little or no use for you and will move on to the next thing.

Normally I don't like to rag on our coaches or AD (although I do think Barta may be the worst AD in the universe) but I just heard on the news we were dropping the Hy Vee classic where we play Drake or UNI because of scheduling issues!! Now I don't have the whole story at this time but really with the absolute crap teams we schedule for much of the non conference schedule it's very hard to believe we need to drop a series which has state interest and also benefits the other Iowa schools

Someone enlighten me as there must be some logical reason behind this????
Barta a good "SOLIDER". DOES what he is told...Deflects HEAT? for others?

I am sure as far as you are concerned nothing KF has done was ever right or even pretty good. If he ever had any really good season surely you would explain that away and not give him credit. People like you only give blame.

Out of curiosity, can you come up with any great thing or strong accomplishment that KF has has? Probably not. Then you would be on record as giv8ng him credit for something. And you can’t be on the record for that.

You must be fairly new to the forum compared to some of us who have been around for a while. While some were boo hooing about not getting stoops the first two years that Kirk coached Iowa, I was defending him. I assured them that once Kirk got both the defensive and offensive lines built up that we would be ok. After Kirk’s fourth, fifth, and sixth year I looked like a genius. Those were great times and it looked like we were on our way to a dynasty. Even sonthe huge contact seemed a little much. After that period we seemed to get into a roller coaster mind set with periods of going up and ten having rebuilding years of being down.

I guess the style of play has become boring especially on the offensive side of things. A 7-5 average isn’t a terrible average for one’s career (slightly above average) for a major conference, but the true spirit of competition dictates that fans shouldn’t be happy with just slightly above average and that they should be hungry for more. If KF would just change things up enough to show that he is hungry and really wants to win at a higher level then at least you could argue that point. However it seems he has fallen prey to what appears to be a fat cat mentality that allows the same coaches to stay around, the same level of recruiting, and the same stale offensive style. Like the ole saying goes “the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.” That seems to define KF to a tee. Yes, it was successful for several years but opponents have seemed to have picked apart KF’s schemes and learned how to neutralize their effectiveness. Yet we just keep running the same schemes regardless and here we are at a 7-5 average. If that satisfies you as a football fan then that is your choice to feel that way. Like I said in a recent comment; if KF could bump that average up to nine wins a game then Inwould Ben happy with that. At that point a 7-5 record would be the rebuilding year.

Talk about catching a break by being out in the pathetic West division where the so called power house is Wisconsin. Under that same scenario Fry would have ruled the West division and seldom would not have been representing the West division every year. Hayden made it fun to watch from the offensive side of the ball. KF’s offense is about as fun to watch as watching paint dry.

Some schools schedule to make the opponents appealing to the season ticket holders. Notre Dame? Louisville? UCLA? Coming to town?

Some schools schedule difficult opponents to harden them for conference play and a run at the NCAA Final Four

Some schools schedule the weakest possible opponents because they are afraid of losing too many games in conference, not making a tournament (NIT or NCAA), and then getting fired or asked "uncomfortable" questions about the hideous results. (Wow...we got Dordt to come to Iowa City?...Barta working his magic with Fran!!)

I am not close enough to the Iowa program to know where Iowa might fall.

I think what people fail to realize is that Iowa was going to play those ho hum home games any ways and will always need to schedule roast beef state teams to fill out their schedule. They aren't replacing UNI or Drake with Bryant, cause Bryant was gonna happen either way - they are replacing it with the 2 extra B1G games, so, they replaced Drake and UNI with Michigan State, Wisconsin or Nebraska and people are still pissed.

I'm a huge Gundy fan. I think he does a great job. He's finished with 10 wins or more 6 of the last 8 years. He's had one losing record, his first year on the job. If you want to say 9 or more wins it's 8 of 10 years. I honestly think Gundy is one of the best in the business.

When the T. Boone Pickens money came in, OSU had better facilities than just about anybody. That advantage is gone now, and he's still cranking out the wins. He's maybe in my top 2 or 3 coaches in the country honestly.

Over the last 10 years, KF has managed 82 wins, winning 63% of his games. That is good for #20 of all P5 teams, I would hardly call that "pathetic".

That stat is meaningless with out considering the strength of schedule. It could be that his SOS also ranks into the top twenty also but I don’t know that.

Dean, why are you defending one of the highest paid coaches over that same time span and who has to rely on weak and favorable schedules when he has a so called good season? How can anyone be satisfied with the last ten years?

That stat is meaningless with out considering the strength of schedule. It could be that his SOS also ranks into the top twenty also but I don’t know that.

Dean, why are you defending one of the highest paid coaches over that same time span and who has to rely on weak and favorable schedules when he has a so called good season? How can anyone be satisfied with the last ten years?

SOS does matter, and I don't know where Iowa was in all of the past 18 years, and while last year was overall ho hum, I believe the Hawks SOS was top 6 in the country. When I heard that, I didn't believe it, but sure enough, even with a perceived weak division and perceived weak occ schedule, it was true. Pretty crazy.

Who says I am satisfied? I'd love to have more wins than we do over the last 10 years.

I am not defending anything, the record is what it is. People like you for some reason think that all these other P5 teams are reeling off 10 wins seasons year after year after year. That simply isn't the case. If you can average 8 wins a year over a 10 year period, that is gonna put you as a top 20ish P5 program over that time.

Who says I am satisfied? I'd love to have more wins than we do over the last 10 years.

I am not defending anything, the record is what it is. People like you for some reason think that all these other P5 teams are reeling off 10 wins seasons year after year after year. That simply isn't the case. If you can average 8 wins a year over a 10 year period, that is gonna put you as a top 20ish P5 program over that time.

Who doesn't want more wins am I right? We all do. There's a difference between being satisfied and knowing reality. Acting like Iowa isn't one of the more successful programs in the country year in and year out and telling us fans that we need to be up in arms over lackluster results is bunk. Go sell that shit somewhere else.

(Stolen from @SportsSourceAnalyst Twitter) For Power 5 teams over the last three years, 15 (23%) won 8+ each year, 7 (11%) won 9+, and 5 (8%) won 10+. Also, just 28 (44%) Power 5 teams won 6+ games each of the last three years. Think about how far off these percentages are to the percent of fan bases that expect their team to win 8+, 9+, and 10+ games each year.