Banks > Griffin

Other facts some folks may deem "relevant" in the comparisons:

1. Baylor scored 45 points or more seven times in 2011. Not exactly steel curtain defenses. What would Banks have done to the 2011 version of the B12? I'll bet he would have easily passed your "eye ball" test.

2. Baylor had three losses in the regular season. Iowa had one.

3. Baylor lost by 27 points to Texas A&M, and by 35 points to OSU. Guess griffin didnt have enough "help" to keep those games remotely reasonable. Again, Troy Davis doesnt think this should be held against griffin. Also beat a very bad Kansas team by one in OT. In most years those types of games would eliminate a player from Heisman consideration.

Other facts some folks may deem "relevant" in the comparisons:

1. Baylor scored 45 points or more seven times in 2011. Not exactly steel curtain defenses. What would Banks have done to the 2011 version of the B12? I'll bet he would have easily passed your "eye ball" test.

2. Baylor had three losses in the regular season. Iowa had one.

3. Baylor lost by 27 points to Texas A&M, and by 35 points to OSU. Guess griffin didnt have enough "help" to keep those games remotely reasonable. Again, Troy Davis doesnt think this should be held against griffin. Also beat a very bad Kansas team by one in OT. In most years those types of games would eliminate a player from Heisman consideration.

What does Banks do without that offensive line in 2002? Or without Dallas Clark? He lost to ISU with a pair of second half fumbles.

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop pushing this. I really don't like having to openly argue against Brad Banks. But saying Banks was better than Griffin is just ridiculous.

You can argue that Griffin's stats are inflated to a degree because he's not playing great defenses. That's fair. But he passes the eyeball test, too. He's the total package in terms of intangibles/skill set.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have EVER seen a QB throw a better deep ball than RG III. EVER. I noticed that ability when he was a freshman or sophomore too. The dude is amazingly accurate. I believe he will be a very good Pro QB too. Very smart kid.

Glad to see most people here being level headed about this.

RGIII >> Banks

Either you did not watch the 2002 Hawkeyes or you are dumb (or both). Which is it?

You're an idiot. Have you watched any Baylor games this year? Griffen has a much better arm and is incredibly accurate. He can make throws that Banks never could. Not to mention the '02 Iowa team had plenty of NFL talent on both sides of the ball. Baylor....not so much (besides Kendall Wright). But why don't I let the stats do the talking?

Passing
Griffen III: 267/369 (72.4 %), 3998 Yards, 36 TD, 6 INT, 192.3 QB Rating
Banks: 170/294 (57.8 %), 2573 Yards, 26 TD, 5 INT, 157.1 QB Rating

Rushing
Griffen III: 644 Yards, 9 TD
Banks: 423 Yards, 5 TD

I loved Banks, but saying Banks had a better season than Griffen is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

What does Banks do without that offensive line in 2002? Or without Dallas Clark? He lost to ISU with a pair of second half fumbles.

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop pushing this. I really don't like having to openly argue against Brad Banks. But saying Banks was better than Griffin is just ridiculous.

Baylor lost to KSU because of Griffins interception late in the game. You catch that game?

What ifs are fine, but to say the comparisons are "ridiculous" is ridiculous and shows nothing more than a short memory.

Baylor lost to KSU because of Griffins interception late in the game. You catch that game?

What ifs are fine, but to say the comparisons are "ridiculous" is ridiculous and shows nothing more than a short memory.

Again, there's a reason that Banks wasn't drafted, and is currently in the Arena League. And there's a reason Griffin is going to be a first rounder. He's better.

You're an idiot. Have you watched any Baylor games this year? Griffen has a much better arm and is incredibly accurate. He can make throws that Banks never could. Not to mention the '02 Iowa team had plenty of NFL talent on both sides of the ball. Baylor....not so much (besides Kendall Wright). But why don't I let the stats do the talking?
Passing
Griffen III: 267/369 (72.4 %), 3998 Yards, 36 TD, 6 INT, 192.3 QB Rating
Banks: 170/294 (57.8 %), 2573 Yards, 26 TD, 5 INT, 157.1 QB Rating
Rushing
Griffen III: 644 Yards, 9 TD
Banks: 423 Yards, 5 TD
I loved Banks, but saying Banks had a better season than Griffen is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

You got me. Those stats prove that Griffin is the best QB of the last several years, but only slightly ahead of several Texas Tech qbs.

No, it doesn't. Iowa regularly rolled Banks to one side of the field to reduce the amount of reads he was required to make. Griffen, on the other hand, can make any throw on the field. Griffen was clearly the better college QB and will be a much better QB after his college days are over.

You got me. Those stats prove that Griffin is the best QB of the last several years, but only slightly ahead of several Texas Tech qbs.

You clearly haven't seen much of Griffin this year. Good mechanics. Routinely sits in the pocket and goes through his progressions. Makes the throw and puts it on a dime. And if nothing's there, he can kill you with his feet (far more effectively than Banks could).

This argument goes well past Griffin's and Banks' numbers.

No, it doesn't. Iowa regularly rolled Banks to one side of the field to reduce the amount of reads he was required to make. Griffen, on the other hand, can make any throw on the field. Griffen was clearly the better college QB and will be a much better QB after his college days are over.

Winner.

Again, there's a reason that Banks wasn't drafted, and is currently in the Arena League. And there's a reason Griffin is going to be a first rounder. He's better.

In the NFL, three inches taller means a lot. Especially when you are hovering around 6 feet. You know this, right?

In the NFL, three inches taller means a lot. Especially when you are hovering around 6 feet. You know this, right?

You have got to be f*cking kidding me. You honestly think that's the only reason Banks wasn't drafted and is in the Arena League?

That is the one exception I could think of.

Banks had neither the arm strength nor the accuracy to play in the NFL. Nor was he able to grasp the complexities of an NFL offense. That is why he didn't make the NFL, not because he was only six feet tall .

This is the kinda thread that CF has a hayday with... Holy cow.

If it wasn't for KOK Banks would be better!!!!

NOT

Chad

Banks had neither the arm strength nor the accuracy to play in the NFL. Nor was he able to grasp the complexities of an NFL offense. That is why he didn't make the NFL, not because he was only six feet tall .

Unfortunately, this. To put it bluntly, Banks wasn't that bright. Great guy, solid athlete, program hero/legend. But Griffin is a better athlete (Olympic-class), has a stronger arm, he's more accurate, and he's the guy going to law school. He's got it all.

Banks was a good college quarterback. Griffin is going to be a good NFL quarterback.

Latest posts