Bama's WR Williams getting hurt

Hawkfnntn

So will that hurt his NFL stock? I'd watch that carefully because for future reference the topic of kids sitting out playoff games has came up in the same way guys sit out Bowl games. Is it worth it for a kid to play in and lose that game and risk injury if you're a top draft pick? I don't know if it'll happen next year or not but I bet we'll see players opt out of these games too eventually. That could cost that kid big big bucks

My two cents is it's still ultimately the players choice. At the end of the day there's players that strictly play for themselves and those that play for the school on the front of their jersey and there's those that play for the love of the sport and those that play do it to get paid. IMO being one of 4 teams (at this time) making the playoffs is the opportunity to play on the sports biggest stage and dream about probably as long as they have playing in the NFL. To get that close and then to opt out, IMO, tells scouts and everyone watching what type of player they are and why they play the game.

I understand the NFL is a business, and these are professionals, but if I'm in the front office and on the clock and I have the choice of a player that put it all out there to win a championship or someone that opted out of the biggest games of their collegiate career for a pay check, I know who I'm taking.

I also think the fact that Williams wanted to get back into the game speaks exponentially about how important winning a championship is to those lucky enough to get there. I simply don't see many players choosing not to compete under those circumstances.

Wouldn't it be something if the NCAA and the NFL came up with an agreement that if a player decides to leave early to go to the Pros who is on scholarship with a University, they are not eligible for the draft for 1 calendar year?

I bet that may make some of these players think twice about leaving early.

That won't happen, but you would think they could come up with something (if they wanted to) to help curb players leaving early. Something that can help protect the sanctity of the college game. Allowing the NIL now in college would seem to be a good compromise in helping to compensate players while in college, but I wish they could find away to put limitations on eligibility for the pros to help protect the college game.

So will that hurt his NFL stock? I'd watch that carefully because for future reference the topic of kids sitting out playoff games has came up in the same way guys sit out Bowl games. Is it worth it for a kid to play in and lose that game and risk injury if you're a top draft pick? I don't know if it'll happen next year or not but I bet we'll see players opt out of these games too eventually. That could cost that kid big big bucks

First off this was not a bowl game, it was a Natty Champ game with forever glory being etched with your name if you win it, with getting that big ass ring to wear on your hand the rest of your life like many players do even when they are old, and being able to get a top job through your booster and alumni network the rest of your life.

Can you tell me was Williams a SR and done with his college eligibility? The fact that he was out there walking around pretty well made it look better although a torn ligament doesnt keep you from slowly walking in many cases.

Wouldn't it be something if the NCAA and the NFL came up with an agreement that if a player decides to leave early to go to the Pros who is on scholarship with a University, they are not eligible for the draft for 1 calendar year?

I bet that may make some of these players think twice about leaving early.

That won't happen, but you would think they could come up with something (if they wanted to) to help curb players leaving early. Something that can help protect the sanctity of the college game. Allowing the NIL now in college would seem to be a good compromise in helping to compensate players while in college, but I wish they could find away to put limitations on eligibility for the pros to help protect the college game.

There's nothing they can do because any agreement would violate antitrust laws. The 3 years removed from high school has been litigated (by Maurice Clarett) and it was upheld, but any restrictions beyond that are probably gonna be problematic.

That won't happen, but you would think they could come up with something (if they wanted to) to help curb players leaving early. Something that can help protect the sanctity of the college game.

Allowing the NIL now in college would seem to be a good compromise in helping to compensate players while in college, but I wish they could find away to put limitations on eligibility for the pros to help protect the college game.
"Preserving the sanctity of the college game" over individual rights and advancement would be pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

In what other industry is there a movement by middle aged men to prevent an adult citizen from making money at their trade until said middle aged men are satisfied with amount of entertainment they got from the their low-paying internship?

And don't give me the, "Players aren't forced to go to college" thing. They are in fact forced to go to college at least for a while, because that's the one and only way to gain entry into their field.

Re: NIL...

It's a good thing for sure, but there's not even a fraction of a percent in NIL money available compared to first and second round guarantees, and some guys who make the NFL don't get NIL at all.

Say there was a really bright and talented software developer who was in college but had already surpassed 99% of his peers. Would you think it's ok to want him to stay in college until he graduates instead of leaving college to take a lucrative offer at Google, just because it would satisfy some weird entertainment value of people he doesn't even know?

First off this was not a bowl game, it was a Natty Champ game with forever glory being etched with your name if you win it, with getting that big ass ring to wear on your hand the rest of your life like many players do even when they are old, and being able to get a top job through your booster and alumni network the rest of your life.

Can you tell me was Williams a SR and done with his college eligibility? The fact that he was out there walking around pretty well made it look better although a torn ligament doesnt keep you from slowly walking in many cases.
To get to the Championship you gotta play a playoff game first... And if you're sitting that out they aren't going to let you then play in that even if one wanted to try that.

He is a JR and did indeed tear his ACL.. He woulda been a 1st round pick top wr off the board. Borderline top 10 pick... Will he still be taken that high with team that takes him knowing he'll essentially be redshirting his rookie year? That's what'll be interesting to see kid mighta lost millions and millions off of that decision to play

To get to the Championship you gotta play a playoff game first... And if you're sitting that out they aren't going to let you then play in that even if one wanted to try that.

He is a JR and did indeed tear his ACL.. He woulda been a 1st round pick top wr off the board. Borderline top 10 pick... Will he still be taken that high with team that takes him knowing he'll essentially be redshirting his rookie year? That's what'll be interesting to see kid mighta lost millions and millions off of that decision to play
A kid like that is the classic case of taking out a $10 million dollar insurance policy. If he recovers and has a very good NFL career he will make at least $10 mil and if he cant play because the injury takes away his skills then he gets $10 mil. as the injury was directly related to football.

A kid like that is the classic case of taking out a $10 million dollar insurance policy. If he recovers and has a very good NFL career he will make at least $10 mil and if he cant play because the injury takes away his skills then he gets $10 mil. as the injury was directly related to football.
Maybe. Timing is everything. Had he already gotten a policy and if so when did he do it? Before this season even started? In the middle or a week ago? Or maybe he hasn't gotten one at all I haven't heard but it's a great question to find out

There's nothing they can do because any agreement would violate antitrust laws. The 3 years removed from high school has been litigated (by Maurice Clarett) and it was upheld, but any restrictions beyond that are probably gonna be problematic.
I know, it is not happening. I just worry about the college game being diluted much further.

"Preserving the sanctity of the college game" over individual rights and advancement would be pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

In what other industry is there a movement by middle aged men to prevent an adult citizen from making money at their trade until said middle aged men are satisfied with amount of entertainment they got from the their low-paying internship?

And don't give me the, "Players aren't forced to go to college" thing. They are in fact forced to go to college at least for a while, because that's the one and only way to gain entry into their field.

Re: NIL...

It's a good thing for sure, but there's not even a fraction of a percent in NIL money available compared to first and second round guarantees, and some guys who make the NFL don't get NIL at all.

Say there was a really bright and talented software developer who was in college but had already surpassed 99% of his peers. Would you think it's ok to want him to stay in college until he graduates instead of leaving college to take a lucrative offer at Google, just because it would satisfy some weird entertainment value of people he doesn't even know?
I know, it is not happening. I just worry about the college game being diluted much further.

I think the software example is apples to oranges with a sports team, but I understand where you are coming from.

I think the software example is apples to oranges with a sports team, but I understand where you are coming from.
I love college football, and I honestly have tried to separate those 2 examples, but I can’t. They really are apples/apples.

Adults who have an elite talent that they can make a ton of money from in the private workforce. It really is that simple. We try to differentiate them because college sports are our passion and we don’t want to them decline, but if we’re honest about it it’s just selfishness.

Because we love the college game so much we try and search for some sort of reason why players should be beholden to it, but it’s not there.

At the end of the day money talks, and if you want to keep players in college you have to pay the market rate. It’s as dead simple as that. I know it sucks but it’s true

I love college football, and I honestly have tried to separate those 2 examples, but I can’t. They really are apples/apples.

Adults who have an elite talent that they can make a ton of money from in the private workforce. It really is that simple. We try to differentiate them because college sports are our passion and we don’t want to them decline, but if we’re honest about it it’s just selfishness.

Because we love the college game so much we try and search for some sort of reason why players should be beholden to it, but it’s not there.

At the end of the day money talks, and if you want to keep players in college you have to pay the market rate. It’s as dead simple as that. I know it sucks but it’s true
I really can't disagree with that take. It just sucks.

It is also going to be that much harder for teams like Iowa moving forward....anytime you get someone good.....like KM on the basketball team.....they are likely gone the next year. You don't have 20 of them like a Duke in basketball or an Alabama in football to reload with.

Last edited:
It is also going to be that much harder for teams like Iowa moving forward....anytime you get someone good.....like KM on the basketball team.....they are likely gone the next year. You don't have 20 of them like a Duke in basketball or an Alabama in football to reload with.
I don’t think it’ll be much more impactful in basketball than it already is, the rule requiring a gap between high school and the pros has been there for a really long time already.

I wish they’d just do away with it altogether so guys could just go from HS to the NBA like James and Bryant did. It’d make the college basketball scene a whole lot better and more entertaining. Win/win for everyone. NCAA basketball didn’t all of a sudden get less fun to watch when guys like the two I mentioned above started going straight to the NBA with no college.

I don’t think it’ll be much more impactful in basketball than it already is, the rule requiring a gap between high school and the pros has been there for a really long time already.

I wish they’d just do away with it altogether so guys could just go from HS to the NBA like James and Bryant did. It’d make the college basketball scene a whole lot better and more entertaining. Win/win for everyone. NCAA basketball didn’t all of a sudden get less fun to watch when guys like the two I mentioned above started going straight to the NBA with no college.

Sorry, breh, but the gap is necessary because the owners got burned on some bad draft picks so they want to see an extra year of tape on guys against higher level competition. I don't blame them.

My boy is doing rasslin' and we've watched a few Iowa meets (on youtube after they aired live). I just ignore the results and it is basically like watching it live. What a pure sport. The lack of a pro market keeps guys around, too. I've always enjoyed wrestling (though I sucked ass at it) and as the other sports like football and basketball are diminished by the influences of big money, I am starting to like it even more. I seriously think with Iowa starting a women's team it is going to start to become more popular. It is such an easy Title IX box to check and the actual cost of running it is so low compared to other sports.

My boy is doing rasslin' and we've watched a few Iowa meets (on youtube after they aired live). I just ignore the results and it is basically like watching it live. What a pure sport. The lack of a pro market keeps guys around, too. I've always enjoyed wrestling (though I sucked ass at it) and as the other sports like football and basketball are diminished by the influences of big money, I am starting to like it even more. I seriously think with Iowa starting a women's team it is going to start to become more popular. It is such an easy Title IX box to check and the actual cost of running it is so low compared to other sports.
Hawks had who are the probably top 2 women's recruits in the country in town last weekend for the duals and it's looking like they're going to be Hawks in college.

They're sisters, Kennedy and Korina Blades. The older one made the finals of the Olympic trials at age 17 and beat Forrest Molinari (veteran dominant female wrestler) to get there. The woman she ended up losing to was Mensah-Stock who ended up with the gold in Tokyo.

The sisters wrestle at that powerhouse prep school in PA, Wyoming Seminary. Also this weekend the men got a top rated men's recruit out of there and he's working on bringing his 4th ranked buddy. Recruiting is in a good spot.

We might not end up where we want this year because of Lee, but Brands is adding on to house for the future.

Season tix to the Hawks are $85 and up until a couple years ago you could get seats relatively close. $ value-wise it's by FAR the best money spent on Hawk sports. If I had to give up season tix to either football or wrestling, it'd be football in a heartbeat. I can always go to a couple football games a year on the cheap, but I sit 18th row in Carver not far from the Hawks bench for $85 a seat out the door. No donation.

Redshirting his rookie year. An ACL injury takes 6-9 months to recover assuming you have the surgery right away he would be back for the season opener.

Redshirting his rookie year. An ACL injury takes 6-9 months to recover assuming you have the surgery right away he would be back for the season opener.
How soon they do surgery is mostly determined by how much swelling there is. I've heard of some folks delaying it a month to do it and some just a couple weeks or so. He's a skinny athletic guy and probably doesn't have a ton of swelling but depends how bad it tore it up too

Latest posts