Bama vs Iowa?

PeoriaHWKI

Watching the game last night I kept thinking that I think the team we saw in Miami could hang with either Texas or Bama. Wout a playoff we will never know so let's open it up... Can the Hawks beat the Tide? I think we could.

I think they could hang with them. I've never felt so confident in an Iowa team as I do right now. I don't think there is a team in the country that could beat Iowa by more than 7...so that would fall under "hanging with"

Watching the game last night I kept thinking that I think the team we saw in Miami could hang with either Texas or Bama. Wout a playoff we will never know so let's open it up... Can the Hawks beat the Tide? I think we could.

I agree, I'm not sold on 'Bama's offense. 2 of their TD's were off FR QB's mistakes and their other scores were off great field position because Texas had no offense without McCoy. With a healthy Colt McCoy Texas is the best team in the nation hands down and would beat Iowa and 'Bama by 2 scores.

I agree, I'm not sold on 'Bama's offense. 2 of their TD's were off FR QB's mistakes and their other scores were off great field position because Texas had no offense without McCoy. With a healthy Colt McCoy Texas is the best team in the nation hands down and would beat Iowa and 'Bama by 2 scores.

Texas might be the best but they don't beat us by two touchdowns sorry. Our defense is too good, just look at all the points they put up when they played good defense. (See Nebraska and Oklahoma)

My buddy and I had this exact conversation after the game last night. He and I bought thought we could have hung with them. Our defense looked pretty dominant and I'm pretty confident we could have slowed down the Bama offense.

We could slow down the Bama offense, but I don't think we could stop it. They have too much fire power.

The Bama defense, on the other hand, could stop our offense cold. I think Bama would beat Iowa something like 20-10.

It's Nick Saban vs. KF, it's been done before, it's not hard for me to believe we could beat them. Ghost is right, lots of firepower for 'Bama, however there was a TON of NFL talent on that LSU team that we beat in '05, and we didn't have a hint of a running game then.

The Bama defense, on the other hand, could stop our offense cold. I think Bama would beat Iowa something like 20-10.

I'm not so sure on that. Did you see how that true freshman QB last night almost pulled off the win? vs. the vaunted Alabama defense? He threw a TD pass in the first half that was dropped; given that TD pass the Shipley TD with five minutes to go puts Texas ahead and changes the whole dynamics of their last possession when the kid was sacked and fumbled to lose the game. My point being a full contingent of Iowa Hawkeyes could have equaled that performance.

Last edited:
Watching that game last night made me realize that Iowa was alot closer to the top than I realized.

I don't ever like the argument of how a team would do against another team based on how they played someone else. We all should realize that Alabama would not prepare for Iowa the same way they prepared against Texas. Neither would Texas prepare for Iowa the same way they prepared for Alabama. Both teams would call different plays. I don't think Alabama would only throw 11 times against Iowa simply because they probably wouldn't have run as well. They would be forced to throw more.

A playoff would be great to see, because then the question gets answered instead of speculated about.

We could slow down the Bama offense, but I don't think we could stop it. They have too much fire power.

Not really. They have two very good running backs, but their QB was pretty inconsistent all season.
I believe the Hawkeye defensive unit would have very little problem containing the bammy O.
My opinion is that it would be closer than 10 points. I think Iowa vs. the banjo-on-the-knee crowd would look a LOT like the Iowa vs. Ohio State game from last Nov. Flip a coin, depending on where the game was played.
:D

Not really. They have two very good running backs, but their QB was pretty inconsistent all season.
I believe the Hawkeye defensive unit would have very little problem containing the bammy O.
My opinion is that it would be closer than 10 points. I think Iowa vs. the banjo-on-the-knee crowd would look a LOT like the Iowa vs. Ohio State game from last Nov. Flip a coin, depending on where the game was played.
:D

Their QB was not inconsitant at the end of the season. He handled the Florida defense, which was ranked higher than the Iowa defense. They have two very good running back, and they also have one of the better WRs in the country in Julio Jones.

just for fun I went to Whatifsports.com and simulated it 3 times as an iowa home game. The scores they gave were 26-3, 29-3 and 46-3 all Alabama. One of them had Bama rushing for 365 yards. I wonder what algorithms they use for these simulations.

just for fun I went to Whatifsports.com and simulated it 3 times as an iowa home game. The scores they gave were 26-3, 29-3 and 46-3 all Alabama. One of them had Bama rushing for 365 yards. I wonder what algorithms they use for these simulations.

I went there too and simulated the 2002 team vs the 2009 team and they had the 2002 team winning all three times. They also had our 2002 team beating the Ohio State team from 2002 all three times as well. All at neutral sites.

We just dominated a team with more offense than Alabama, and some fans think that 'Bama would have more "firepower" than we could handle? Alabama does not have a great Offense....Texas would have won (maybe easily) with Colt.

Iowa could definitely "hang with" either. Iowa could also just simply...beat either.

Their QB was not inconsitant at the end of the season. He handled the Florida defense, which was ranked higher than the Iowa defense. They have two very good running back, and they also have one of the better WRs in the country in Julio Jones.

We'll have to agree to disagree, Spectre.:)
I still say you could substitute "Ohio State" for "Alabama" in this scenario, and we know how the Hawkeyes did back in the shoo.
Transitive? Yes (this whole thread is). Outlandish? Nope.

Iowas team the last 2 years didnt lay down for anyone,in any games! We not only could hang with Bama and Texas, IMO we would beat most of the BCS bowl teams the last 2 years. Next year is going to be interesting for sure!

Latest posts