Baluga to the NFL per KHAK

He has filed it and is considered a slam dunk to get the extra year, but he has said that he will talk to his family and decide after the game.

I agree we can reload on the o-line but we play a bowl winning Iowa State team at home in Week 2. You know how Kirks luck has been against them. And secondly, we head to Arizona in week 3. Tough games and not as easy as you think. We gotta be ready! Go Hawks!!!!! Beat Tech!!

Don't forget about having to replace Calloway, either. Could be interesting for the first couple of weeks. New center, new tackles, etc. Thankfully the schedule is pretty manageable the first couple of weeks.

Managable first weeks!? We play a bowl winning Iowa State team at home. You know how Kirks record is against them. And in week 3 we head to Arizona for a tough ball game against Mike Stoops team. Not as easy as you may think! Lets take care of Tech first and worry about this after tomorrow! Go Hawks beat Tech!!!!!!

Don't forget about having to replace Calloway, either. Could be interesting for the first couple of weeks. New center, new tackles, etc. Thankfully the schedule is pretty manageable the first couple of weeks.

Sorry about the double and triple replies! New at this stuff HAHA! Go Hawks! Jon Miller this sight rules the earth!!!!!

Most draft "experts" still have Bulaga as a late first rounder but that is no guarantee. I was really surprised to see all of the post-season awards because he struggled this year at times. I guess experts going on his reputation and "potential" if that is still applicable. He is still a man amongst boys and that is evident at times also. I believe the thyroid issue made him realize how uncertain and short a football career can be and this coupled with the "experts" still lofty ranking probably made the decision fairly easy. I too thought he might wait until after the bowl game because I think his stock can only go down if overmatched and he would have "excuse" due to medical condition and could come back strong next year. But if I recall correctly John Alt struggled mightily against future all-pro Wilber Marshall in the 1983 Gator Bowl and Alt went on to be a first round draft choice with a 13 year career and a couple of Pro-Bowls. If he stays healthy I believe Bulaga will have a career like Alt's with a few more Pro-Bowls.

You can never fault a guy for not wanting to pass up on millions of dollars and it surely isn't a guarantee that money will still be available next year...however it would seem to me that his pot odds are incredibly high in this scenario. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up going early 2nd round...possibly late 1st round. I don't know numbers for sure...but that would probably give him a guarantee of $1-2 mil.

I don't know how legitimate the top 5 pick speculation was entering this year...but let's say he gets himself to a top 10 pick...every pick that you move up in the 1st round gets you hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars guaranteed and Bulaga seems to be a player who could gain a lot of ground by simply staying healthy and playing a full season next year.

If all does not go well next year he's still probably looking at 3rd or 4th round...so he's potentially risking somewhere between $500k-$1 million for a chance at ???$10-12 million???.

My numbers may be off...but it seems like the pot odds would suggest sticking around for another year to steal a poker term.

You can never fault a guy for not wanting to pass up on millions of dollars and it surely isn't a guarantee that money will still be available next year...however it would seem to me that his pot odds are incredibly high in this scenario. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up going early 2nd round...possibly late 1st round. I don't know numbers for sure...but that would probably give him a guarantee of $1-2 mil.

I don't know how legitimate the top 5 pick speculation was entering this year...but let's say he gets himself to a top 10 pick...every pick that you move up in the 1st round gets you hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars guaranteed and Bulaga seems to be a player who could gain a lot of ground by simply staying healthy and playing a full season next year.

If all does not go well next year he's still probably looking at 3rd or 4th round...so he's potentially risking somewhere between $500k-$1 million for a chance at ???$10-12 million???.

My numbers may be off...but it seems like the pot odds would suggest sticking around for another year to steal a poker term.

A list of last year's signings and salaries.

2009 Draft Signings - WalterFootball.com Forums

I believe the 2010 draft is the last one before a new rookie pay structure takes effect due to the salary cap. So another incentive for underclassmen to declare this year. So a player must weigh the pros and cons of declaring this year. Con-added competition for draft position due to increase in draftees this year vs. Pro-lower overall salaries next year. Is this an accurate way to approach it? If you think you are going to be a high pick it is always good to declare early. But the problem is we always see some disappointed kids on draft day who were told they were going high slide to lower rounds and further down the $ train.

I know most don't believe this but I'd be pretty surprised if Bulaga goes pro. Just a "hunch" I have but. I could see it but I don't think it's a sure thing as many think.

Latest posts