Baer...take note Uthoff

That's what this board does - White was a bum on this board until he played so well his senior season it silenced the trolls.

This is based on _______ ?

I have my reasons and I knew I’d get crap. I have not said he’s not a key to Iowa, and I never said he’s not a good player. He is not a leader. In several ways I think someone already noted a few one indecisiveness with the ball. Another big mistakes at key points, and not being able to fight through physical D play. Same thing happen in the 2nd half against ISU. No knock against him or his game but he is not a leader.

In my opinion the guy playing the best ball and has a leadership ability is a walk on freshmen. He takes control of that court when he has been in the game. By his play and hustle and overall play when he is out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uthoff just had an off night. It happens a lot to college kids. Nobody was upset at halftime of the clown game. Give him a break. He'll have some monster games and some so so games. It happens. RELAX

I think Duran'ts style of play is a lot more similar to Uthoff than Dirk's.

I disagree. I don't think Uthoff has anywhere near the quickness that Durant possesses. On the other hand, both Nowitzki and Uthoff (at this stage in his career) have extremely good fade-away jumpers. Both players are shoot-first, outside-in big men. I'd love to see Uthoff develop in this aspect of his game but he is nowhere near the slasher that Durant is. Plus he doesn't have the ball handling skills of Durant.

Uthoff just had an off night. It happens a lot to college kids. Nobody was upset at halftime of the clown game. Give him a break. He'll have some monster games and some so so games. It happens. RELAX

who's getting upset? who bashing him? I have never thought he was a leader and the starter are lacking one. That is no hit on his skill or game no need to relax cause no one is upset. I am just making a conversation on a message board, or am i doing this wrong is this the DNC and i am just supposed to comply with your wishes my bad bro.

I don’t think there are any NBA talent accessors thinking he is a leader type. Heck the announcers even notice it.

I think teams just key on him now and it's having an effect. After he dropped 30 on isu in the first half he had how many second half points? 2? Isu got in his face and denied him the ball and it worked. Other big ten teams are definitely going to notice what MSU did so it's up to Fran and uthoff to adjust

Uthoff needs to just make one move and commit. I'm sure he'll be fine. Plus right now jok and others are hitting their outside shots which helps

I didn't mean you directly imported. I'm just saying that he will be fine. Yes the 8 turnovers are disappointing but he'll bounce back. As far as the leadership thing, I have no idea as I'm not in the locker room with them.

That's what this board does - White was a bum on this board until he played so well his senior season it silenced the trolls.

Criticism doesn't make people "trolls". I've seen very little in this thread that would fit that criteria. It's a sports message board. What do you expect?

It's not like Uthoff is some diva out there who's not playing defense when he's having an off night offensively. The kid is working. It's not as easy as some make it out to be to completely change a person's personality. Uthoff does not have a dominant personality. He's not a fiery guy. It may seem easy to some people to just say "Hey Jarrod show some more energy and toughness!". For some people that edge is a part of their personality and for some people it's not. Yes, it would definitely help Uthoff if he had a tougher mindset, but it's easy for people on the outside looking in to say that. That's just not who he is as a person.

He's giving great effort and he's being a team player when he's not playing great. I think that's a pretty good trait of a leader. Don't be selfish. Don't get down on yourself. Trust in your teammates to pick up the team when you aren't at your best. His defense has been great. He's blocking shots left and right. Plus he's got himself in early foul trouble two games in a row. That plays as big of a role in this as anything else. When you sit on the bench for 10 minutes of the first half it's pretty difficult to get into a rhythm. Give the kid a break. He's having a very good season and he's a huge part of this team.

I didn't mean you directly imported. I'm just saying that he will be fine. Yes the 8 turnovers are disappointing but he'll bounce back. As far as the leadership thing, I have no idea as I'm not in the locker room with them.

good point on the locker room, He will be key for the Hawks this year it would be ridiculous not to say that. What I was alluding to in my first post is that when he is not on the court the other players have this attitude that “hey Utoff isn’t here we all need to step upâ€￾. Basically i have a better feeling about this team that Utoff doesn’t NEED to be on the court against tuff competition. Iowa have some guys that can step up.

I think a better title for this post is Baer...take note Hawks we need a 2nd guy to step up when your best shooter is struggling

Uthoff is not a leader. Quit criticizing players for not being something they will never be. Jarrod struggles with defenders who move their feet and are physical. Not every team is built like MSU where they have players who can do that.

It's not like Uthoff is some diva out there who's not playing defense when he's having an off night offensively. The kid is working. It's not as easy as some make it out to be to completely change a person's personality. Uthoff does not have a dominant personality. He's not a fiery guy. It may seem easy to some people to just say "Hey Jarrod show some more energy and toughness!". For some people that edge is a part of their personality and for some people it's not. Yes, it would definitely help Uthoff if he had a tougher mindset, but it's easy for people on the outside looking in to say that. That's just not who he is as a person.

He's giving great effort and he's being a team player when he's not playing great. I think that's a pretty good trait of a leader. Don't be selfish. Don't get down on yourself. Trust in your teammates to pick up the team when you aren't at your best. His defense has been great. He's blocking shots left and right. Plus he's got himself in early foul trouble two games in a row. That plays as big of a role in this as anything else. When you sit on the bench for 10 minutes of the first half it's pretty difficult to get into a rhythm. Give the kid a break. He's having a very good season and he's a huge part of this team.

well said good post...do you want to gohst post for me?

Uthoff is not a leader. Quit criticizing players for not being something they will never be. Jarrod struggles with defenders who move their feet and are physical. Not every team is built like MSU where they have players who can do that.

what are we supposed to discuss on MBs? John would have no visits if there was not back in forth on discussion stop trying to hold court on what people can post. These are just opinions not facts. If you want I am sure there is a post somewhere that only is talking about the Hawks being a final four teamTM.

It is great to see other players step up as you said. Their best player was out and ours was out most of the first half and just off in the second half. Although, he did play great on the defensive side. I am really pleased with how the team stepped up on his off night. Should really give them confidence the rest of the way.

Agreed. And that's all you can ask for. Sometimes the other team makes it tough on your offensive game. The great players give it their all on the other end when that happens. Uthoff played great defense last night.

I have my reasons and I knew I’d get crap. I have not said he’s not a key to Iowa, and I never said he’s not a good player. He is not a leader. In several ways I think someone already noted a few one indecisiveness with the ball. Another big mistakes at key points, and not being able to fight through physical D play. Same thing happen in the 2nd half against ISU. No knock against him or his game but he is not a leader.

In my opinion the guy playing the best ball and has a leadership ability is a walk on freshmen. He takes control of that court when he has been in the game. By his play and hustle and overall play when he is out there.

Not giving you crap, just asking. Your view of leadership is yours and you're welcome to it, Based on his couple weaknesses physically.

My personal view - The fact that I thought this may be a fairly down year and that we just miss the tourney but instead we have great team chemistry, walk on's stepping up and making plays, unselfish TEAM play, good effort and we just beat the #1 ranked team and have lost to 3 good teams by a total of 12 points, look like a top 5 BIG Ten team plus would be in the tourney as of today shows me we have some pretty good senior leadership and I think Uthoff is a big part of that. A sign of good leadership is when you aren't your best others rise to the occasion and you trust them. You also make it about "we" not "me". He has always been a good teammate and team player, which is what a leader does.

I think we all can with the way this bench has been playing it is looking to be a better season then most were thinking.

One thing I did notice in the ISU loss was the lack of bench play...Fran keept in the starters most the time and was not rotating. I wondered why he did that, and I thought the lack of it hurt them the most in that game. I think he only rotated 3 and very low mins.

Good post, you beat me to a few points :) I think as fans outside the locker room, we need to be careful not to judge athletes/coaches leadership qualities based on their emotions on the outside in the part we see. Each member has a roll. Some of the greatest coaches in history weren't screamers (Tom Landry) , some of the best players weren't rah rah guys either. In other words, someones level of "emotion" outwardly doesn't always tell the fire burning inside. Most teams, need a mix of both, as too much of one or the other is detrimental. I'm enjoying this team, they seem like a great group of young men.

Iowa's bench is much deeper this season, but that depth is still being built... I think this team is a lot better in February than it was in December.

Iowa already has better wins, a higher RPI, better scoring, better leadership... you name it, Iowa is better in nearly every way this season than any season previous during Fran's tenure.... so I don't get the back handed compliments about players after the biggest hoops victory in 15 years.

Latest posts