Bad performance. Disappointed

I think this team is a threat to win the BIG title. The talent and the experience is on the roster. This is a team that Iowa should have blown out. This is not a team where a fan should be biting their fingernails with 3:30 left.

This statement is why people like Crotch Itch shouldn't write articles. What evidence do you have for this other than some preseason hype? Honestly, I would really like to know. Talent and experience don't mean diddly poo if players don't improve their weaknesses from year to year and I have yet to see anything that tells me the upperclassmen have developed from last year to this. Yes, it is two games, but not being able to hit wide open 3-pt shots didn't just start happening in this game.

It also seems like Fran's teams feed off the energy of the crowd. These games against no name teams aren't going to get the fans riled up so I believe that contributes to some of the struggle. You could tell people in CHA kind of wanted to get into the game but in the back of most peoples minds its like we are playing UNO why should I yell when Iowa is on defense.
Note: (I am not stating that I believe Iowa should be playing the likes of Marquette caliber teams every single game, just so we are clear)

I don't concern myself too much with early season games, just as long as any glaring problems get fixed in fairly short order and don't keep recurring. I remember an Iowa team that lost to Marathon Oil (1997), and that team ended up 2nd in the Big Ten and took Kentucky down to the wire in the NCAA 2nd round.. That was Woolridge's senior year.

Iowa State's team with Marcus Fizer that went to the Elite 8.. Those guys lose to Drake early that season.

Iowa's 1987 team that won 30 games had a nail biter against UC Irvine.. That game may even have gone to OT, I don't recall.

Point is, even good teams can have bad nights or games that are closer than they should be, so let's not stress too much over this. If it keeps happening, then I'll start wondering.

I don't concern myself too much with early season games, just as long as any glaring problems get fixed in fairly short order and don't keep recurring. I remember an Iowa team that lost to Marathon Oil (1997), and that team ended up 2nd in the Big Ten and took Kentucky down to the wire in the NCAA 2nd round.. That was Woolridge's senior year.

Iowa State's team with Marcus Fizer that went to the Elite 8.. Those guys lose to Drake early that season.

Iowa's 1987 team that won 30 games had a nail biter against UC Irvine.. That game may even have gone to OT, I don't recall.

Point is, even good teams can have bad nights or games that are closer than they should be, so let's not stress too much over this. If it keeps happening, then I'll start wondering.

There was also a 1984 game against Cornell (who ended up 14-12 at the end of the season), where Iowa won 59-56. The Hawks went on to win 21 games and garner a 8th seed in the NCAA's.

There have also been plenty of below average Drake squads over the years who have given Iowa problems.

There was also a 1984 game against Cornell (who ended up 14-12 at the end of the season), where Iowa won 59-56. The Hawks went on to win 21 games and garner a 8th seed in the NCAA's.

There have also been plenty of below average Drake squads over the years who have given Iowa problems.

Yep, and maybe a year or so ago someone posted an Iowa game on YouTube against the Phillippine Nationals.. That was in Mr. Davis's last season. Iowa struggled in that game and only won by 10 or so, but they made the Sweet 16 that year and gave Uconn a pretty good game, a team that ended up winning it all. We could go on and on.

I re watched yesterday and I don't think we really played THAT bad. On offense we kind dominated them. We missed a lot of shots that we normally make (not talking about threes, we never make those) but we got the shots we wanted most of the time, and that's what should happen against this team.

The defense wasn't good at all but I felt when we slowed it down and forced them into a half court game they didn't do much. Omaha also hit a lot of shots that they probably shouldn't have/made great place to make making it so we won by 8 instead of 15. We need to do something to keep opposing quick guards from coming straight down and going straight to the lane.

Maybe I shouldn't say we dominated them offensively but they really didn't do much to stop us. We stopped ourselves.

It was game two. Iowa shot 37.5% from the floor, including 21.4% from three...and they won by eight, scoring 83 points. There are worse things in life.
Exactly. After reading some of these hoop threads after the game, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of folks on here know nothing about hoops. LOL

This statement is why people like Crotch Itch shouldn't write articles. What evidence do you have for this other than some preseason hype? Honestly, I would really like to know. Talent and experience don't mean diddly poo if players don't improve their weaknesses from year to year and I have yet to see anything that tells me the upperclassmen have developed from last year to this. Yes, it is two games, but not being able to hit wide open 3-pt shots didn't just start happening in this game.

Great points

It was game two. Iowa shot 37.5% from the floor, including 21.4% from three...and they won by eight, scoring 83 points. There are worse things in life.

So nothing has changed from last year, or the year before, or the year before that shooting wise.

Iowa won because UNO is a bad basketball team.

There are worse things in life, I agree, but there is a systemic issue at hand.

It's one game folks. We won. Not every win will be pretty. Understand, too, that Fran has to work through seeing which lineups work the best. It was our second game! Relax...

So nothing has changed from last year, or the year before, or the year before that shooting wise.

Iowa won because UNO is a bad basketball team.

There are worse things in life, I agree, but there is a systemic issue at hand.

I'm going to hold you down and MAKE you drink the Kool-Aid!

Is it the Jim Jones variety?

Yes.

ballin.gif

I'm hoping that the Hawks are just lulling the big boys to sleep. Then, like a snake in the weeds, we strike when the time is right.

Latest posts