Bad game day coaching aside....

Playmaker

It's all about the recruiting. Great recruiting allows you to win games on talent alone on days when you are a tick off....every game isn't a coin flip because your coach is flipping it's fans the middle finger whilst perched atop a pile of money. The main reason I've always maintained that KF peaked in 2002 and things would never get better, is because for all the talent he was to recruit to that Orange Bowl team, USC's quicker athletes still whipped our butts for 4 straight quarters of football. Makes no mistake, KF coaches for two reasons...whatever son happens to be on the team at the time, and HIMSELF. If he gave a damn about taking Iowa to the next level, he would be all about recruiting....he isn't. Why you ask? You will never convince me that KF doesn't get a bigger buzz out of "coaching up" lesser talent then landing a 4-5 Star who really doesn't need coaching up/development. He could care less about EVER winning a National Championship....if fact, have you ever heard him mention that as a goal??? Nope, me either. He gets more jazzed about coaching up a team of 2 and 3 stars into a Orange Bowl game against Georgia Tech than playing in a National Championship game with a bunch or 4 and 5 stars. He likes to be directly responsible for everything when they win, and winning with 4 and 5 star players removes a lot of that shine. Iowa football is nothing more than his play pretty to do whatever the hell he wants with, and it's high time that it's taken away from him. His goals are NOT our goals....make no mistake. How many more seasons are Iowa fans going to let themselves be jerked around by this guy? I still do not understand why the media is so afraid of him. So he gets upset and has their credentials pulled...I mean, does he EVER say anything in a press conference interesting anyway??? I guess watching all the exciting football being played this past weekend just made me yearn for the days that Iowa was at the very least relevant. Is that asking too much?

Last edited:
Ugh. Look, pal, Ferentz would love to land classes stuffed with 4 and 5 star players. He can't. There are few in the area and the ones who do exist have a ton of BCS level teams looking to recruit them, including Wisconsin, Mizzou, Illinois, three schools in Indiana, two schools in Michigan, plus the ones who are really top tier get offers from places liek 'Bama. Iowa has to run a developmental type of program and Ferentz is darned good at projecting out future stars. We're never going to beat the top Florida, Texas or California teams when they have strong years. It just ain't gonna happen.

He is NOT doing all he can to land top talent.....there are schools all over the country with ZERO football history (Kentucky) landing better recruits than Iowa. I've heard way too many stories about how he recruits...talks to a guy once, and then says something along the lines of "You have to do whats best for you"....and then leaves him alone. BS!!! What 17 year old knows what's best for him? When you recruit, you do it with a purpose....and you do not take no for an answer. Anyone can land a bunch of players from Ankeny and Springville...or guys from Minnesota who may have a couple of MAC offers....that means nothing. Either drop the football program or bring in a coach who has the mindset that Iowa can be relevant again. The Florida, New Jersey, and Texas pipeline at one time won helped Iowa win more games in the 80's than any other Big Ten team....so now that is no longer possible??? If so, that is sad...and an attitude of a quitter.

Could he spend more time calling/visiting elite recruits? Probably. Would it be a gigantic waste of time? Probably. He is best served spending time he has to recruit on the mid-level recruits that Iowa has a legit chance to land. I don't think its the attitude of a quitter. I think its the attitude of a guy who wants to use the precious recruiting time he has most efficiently.

He is NOT doing all he can to land top talent.....there are schools all over the country with ZERO football history (Kentucky) landing better recruits than Iowa. I've heard way too many stories about how he recruits...talks to a guy once, and then says something along the lines of "You have to do whats best for you"....and then leaves him alone. BS!!! .

OK Playmaker, when you make a comment like I bolded before you need to say if this is first hand knowledge from someone who was in the front room of the recruit or when KF was talking to a recruit during a visit? Is it firsthand knowledge?

What was really said?

Or is this stuff you heard from someone's buddy who was drinking a beer with another guy who heard these stories from someone at Great Clips.

Maybe if he put his gigantic ego aside and tried to surround himself with some top-flight assistants and recruiters, we would be more appealing to 4-5 star players. He want's nothing but yes men under him who will adopt his brand of "Play not to lose" football....the Greg Davis types who have no other options. KF targets these types to coach under him for a reason. Mid-level recruits will win you games ONLY if you show up every week to play and overachieve.....let your guard down and you lose....the margin is razor thin. Why not try and eliminate some of that margin of error by overachieving at recruiting....we sure as hell have the budget to throw money at it.

Last edited:
Classic Iowa: 5 guys sitting around drinking beer or coffee; the first guy tells an Iowa football story; the next guy has to top it. On it goes...

Hawk82 - A couple years ago KF actually said it himself in an article when he lost out on someone....cannot remember who it was. I remember how it turned my stomach at the time that he would admit that.

Classic Iowa: 5 guys sitting around drinking beer or coffee; the first guy tells an Iowa football story; the next guy has to top it. On it goes...

I dont think thats just Iowa football. I think thats any guys sitting around drinking beer.

OK Playmaker, when you make a comment like I bolded before you need to say if this is first hand knowledge from someone who was in the front room of the recruit or when KF was talking to a recruit during a visit? Is it firsthand knowledge?

What was really said?

Or is this stuff you heard from someone's buddy who was drinking a beer with another guy who heard these stories from someone at Great Clips.

The Great Clips reference was a nice touch... kudos!

BTW, I referenced Kentucky having not even see the thread started "If I had my wish..."....looks as if someone else helped prove my point!

It's idiocy like this that has cause me to read these boards less than I used to. Get a clue, Playmaker. If it was that easy to recruit 4-5 star players there are a lot sexier places to play than Iowa that still have suck-*** programs.

Iowa football is nothing more than his play pretty to do whatever the hell he wants with, and it's high time that it's taken away from him. His goals are NOT our goals....make no mistake.

What do you mean? I'm not sure I understand your point.

Please answer in no less than 5,000 words.

I thought his recruiting calls were like prank calls. "Is your refrigerator running...." type gags.

Not that it matters, but playmaker has no clue how this works, or how much time, money and miles are logged....at iowa and other D1 schools

Tech - I'd settle for 3 star recruits right now from the sounds of things.

You - He treats non-conference games like NFL pre-season....he uses them to gear up for Big 10 play...9 times out of 10 losing at least 1 of them. Any other 4 million dollar coach would be thinking that they may have just blown a chance at getting back into a National Championship hunt, while KF never had that thought/aspiration to begin with.

Maybe if he put his gigantic ego aside and tried to surround himself with some top-flight assistants and recruiters, we would be more appealing to 4-5 star players. He want's nothing but yes men under him who will adopt his brand of "Play not to lose" football....the Greg Davis types who have no other options. KF targets these types to coach under him for a reason. Mid-level recruits will win you games ONLY if you show up every week to play and overachieve.....let your guard down and you lose....the margin is razor thin. Why not try and eliminate some of that margin of error by overachieving at recruiting....we sure as hell have the budget to throw money at it.

Just a hunch, you dont care much for Kirk Ferentz do you. It seems like his approach to recruiting isn't much different than the glory years of 02-04. I will give you the assistants haven't been better but the only big one I miss is Norm Parker and to a much lesser extent Greg Davis replacing Ken O'Keefe.

No...I don't. And any faith at all I had in him went out the window for good at OSU in 2009.

As 10+ favorites since 2006

Ohio State — 38-27-1 (against the spread); 63-3 straight up

Wisconsin — 28-20-1 (ATS); 48-1 straight up

Nebraska — 24-26-1 (ATS); 45-6 straight up

Penn State — 22-16 (ATS); 38-0 straight up

Michigan — 20-17 (ATS); 36-1 straight up

Michigan State — 14-18-1 (ATS); 30-3 straight up

Rutgers — 14-16 (ATS); 27-3 straight up

Iowa — 13-26 (ATS); 28-11 straight up

Illinois — 12-12 (ATS); 21-3 straight up

Purdue — 9-13-2 (ATS); 22-2 straight up

Northwestern — 8-13 (ATS); 18-3 straight up

Indiana — 8-7 (ATS); 14-1 straight up

Maryland — 7-8 (ATS); 13-2 straight up

Minnesota 6-7 (ATS); 10-3 straight up

Iowa 71.7% winning% when favored by 10+
rest of the B1G= 92.5%

Wow, Playmaker... just wow. Here's a first-hand story. My cousin's son is the starting center for UCLA, Jake Brendel. He was recruited by a LOT of big time programs, even though he was a 3-star. Got offers from Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconsin (where his dad is living), among others. He chose UCLA. First off because it was a top twenty business school (he's been academic all Pac-12 each year). Secondly because he knew he would play fairly quickly (he's on the watch list for the Rimington award). And finally because of the weather. Try getting those recruits from Texas (where Jake is from) or Florida and other places south by getting a visit in November or show TV shots during games where they move snow before playing football. Turns a lot of them off right away.

Latest posts