Bad basketball for the better part of 120 minutes

I think we need to go back to playing more inside out. Our guards are great catch and shoot guys but off the dribble they arent as effective. I mean, its tough when Jordan and Joe struggle so badly like they did tonight too, but I dont think that Tyler or Luka got enough post touches.

The bak half of the B1G is always a grind, and this year even more so with how good the league is. I mean they know what we are going to do, we know what they are going to do, it's tough.
I actually think the league is worse this year than last year, but compared to other conferences it’s better if that makes sense. Basically Pac12, Big East, and Big12 had bigger drop offs than the B1G did and we did well in the non conference.

I see Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, and likely Michigan as down and several others who are roughly the same. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois the only teams who are significantly better.

I actually think the league is worse this year than last year, but compared to other conferences it’s better if that makes sense. Basically Pac12, Big East, and Big12 had bigger drop offs than the B1G did and we did well in the non conference.

I see Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, and likely Michigan as down and several others who are roughly the same. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois the only teams who are significantly better.

I guess we disagree then. In KenPom right now the B1G is rated as the top league. Miller and Deace said on their podcast that KenPom has the B1G ranking so high it is actually like the 7th highest ranking for a conference going back to 2002.

Oh and last years B1G sucked.

I was disappointed in Garza tonight. There were a few times he missed on offense and didn’t sprint back and got beat for easy baskets.

NOt sure how much Garza can sprint right yet. He has young, big man hip flexor problems getting his legs going and getting his ups. He really needs to work on the leg strength and quickness. Woodbury didnt have ups but he could run the floor pretty well.

Let's face facts...we won 2-3 games we shouldn't. I believe we had a team who was playing at home who thought we would just waltz through this game! I would challenge this team... Are you men or boys? Defense wins championships, offense wins games

How the hell could you ever think you could waltz through a game in this league against a ranked opponent. I was not able to watch the game but from what I am reading the hawks didnt play with any king of urgency to get better shots, make shots, concentrate, hustle to make good passes. The shooting must have been horrid.

Actually Iowa played excellent D most of the game. Hustle/fatigue problems were there but not the issue. It has become a very physical league, hard to get open looks. We struggled to get points in transition and Maryland shot well. Fernandez was mostly contained.
Didn't see anyone waltzing.

Actually Iowa played excellent D most of the game. Hustle/fatigue problems were there but not the issue. It has become a very physical league, hard to get open looks. We struggled to get points in transition and Maryland shot well. Fernandez was mostly contained.

I agree. The effort was there but the offense struggled bad. Just one of those nights. It's too bad because Maryland played bad enough that we would have won with a slightly less terrible night shooting.

One thing that is noticeable to me, atleast from my couch, is that we dont have much of a home crowd advantage. It was almost as loud when maryland did something as it was when we did. A couple times it got kind of loud, but then everyone sat back down at the next maryland basket.

I hate to say this as i love the hawks, but rutgers had a better home crowd advantage than we do, and its not close.

It was nice to see the team wake up and get it together the last six minutes or so, but, God, it was like they were sleep walking for the majority of the game.

If there ever was a game to show Fran how important it is to have a true PG, it was this game. Maryland (primarily Cowan) penetrated our defense at will, forced the rotation, and found the open man. It was a good game plan by Turgeon. We simply don't have any on-ball defenders on the perimeter.
Fran tried Dailey but he has little guys blow by him too. Nobody on this team can guard a small fast guard. The best are Baer and actually JBo. Next year we will have a quick guard who should actually be able to at least keep up with pg's but not this year.

The defense was good, it was the ball-handling that was awful. Almost every Hawk guard had their pocket picked by Maryland for lay-ups and then there was the bad passes or catches whichever you want to call them. The communication in this game and execution was horrible. Guys passing the ball out-of -bounds, behind cutters, or directly to Maryland. I'd have to replay the game to count how many unforced turnovers, but it seemed to happen every time Iowa was about to go on a run. Inexcusable at this level of basketball.