B1G Writers Pick Iowa 5th in Legends

Our division is so bad for this coming season that honestly anyone other than Minnesota could probably win it. Northwestern was a few late game meltdowns last year away from going undefeated and has two returning QBs who are probably better than the other QBs in the division, but they lost a lot of guys off both sides of the lines. But they could win the thing. They could also finish fifth or sixth when they find out that without an o-line their team stinks. Iowa is another big question mark. If we have a QB, we could win the division. If we don't, 5th or 6th is a reasonable guess. I mean, all we need to do is find a QB on par with either Vince Young or Colt McCoy and we'll be right in the middle of the hunt with Greg Davis calling the plays. That is not outside of the realm of possibility.

Ive been saying this all along.

Our division is so bad for this coming season that honestly anyone other than Minnesota could probably win it. Northwestern was a few late game meltdowns last year away from going undefeated and has two returning QBs who are probably better than the other QBs in the division, but they lost a lot of guys off both sides of the lines. But they could win the thing. They could also finish fifth or sixth when they find out that without an o-line their team stinks. Iowa is another big question mark. If we have a QB, we could win the division. If we don't, 5th or 6th is a reasonable guess. I mean, all we need to do is find a QB on par with either Vince Young or Colt McCoy and we'll be right in the middle of the hunt with Greg Davis calling the plays. That is not outside of the realm of possibility.
I don't know if bad is what I would call it. There is a lot of parity in this division I would say. I tend to think that NU, UM, MSU, and NW could all be considered about even at this point, with Iowa and Minn a step (or possibly two) behind.

But I wouldn't write those two off right now.

\\

Very Depressing indeed. When it happens I think Barta will be gone after this year And Ferentz gone as soon as it becomes financially feasible.

I don't believe for one second that Iowa couldn't fire Ferentz right now based solely on the cash payout. To me this point is worthless, Iowa can afford it but it would be a bad move right now. There is a huge difference between being able to afford it and not wanting to do it. Right now, I don't believe that the UofI really wants to fire Kirk Ferentz. Wins and loses compared to salary is a reason to fire him but in the same light the stadium is still packed and season tickets will be sold out again. Unfortunately the UofI is reactive instead of proactive. They have to see a drastic drop in income from football before they cut Ferentz and pay him the money.

I don't know if bad is what I would call it. There is a lot of parity in this division I would say. I tend to think that NU, UM, MSU, and NW could all be considered about even at this point, with Iowa and Minn a step (or possibly two) behind.

But I wouldn't write those two off right now.

Dude, for the 1,000th time, NU = Northwestern University and UN = University of Nebraska. NW =/= Northwestern, it is NU. You can claim there is "parity" in the division, fine. But when Northwestern is a last minute meltdown away from beating Michigan and two epic late defense lapses away from beating a Nebraska team that narrowly beat an absolutely terrible Iowa team (but ultimately won the division), I'd say the division is pretty bad. Nothing against you, but you haven't been an avid follower of Big Ten football long enough to know that when Northwestern has achieved parity with the top teams in the division, the division stinks. Imagine if Iowa State had achieved parity with Mizzou, KSU and Nebraska back in your Big Twelve North days. Would you think that division stunk at least for that year? I would. Northwestern is a crap program that is on par with ISU and when Northwestern comes off a 10 win season where they dang near won in Ann Arbor, that is a tell tale sign of a crappy division. Heck, I don't even want to think back on the Big Ten's bowl performance last year.

Barta has run the Iowa athletic program into the ground and no one in the administration seems to have noticed or cares. He's just lucky he caught lightning in a bottle with McCaffery.

Barta has run the Iowa athletic program into the ground and no one in the administration seems to have noticed or cares. He's just lucky he caught lightning in a bottle with McCaffery.

From a football standpoint (W's and L's) in the last 3 years, sure maybe. From contractual buyout for KF, sure maybe. However, unfortunately college athletics is all about money and the football program spews money. If there are another few years ago subpar play on the field I think the moeny will slow down but it won't stop and it definitely will be far from running the Iowa athletic program into the ground.

Dude, for the 1,000th time, NU = Northwestern University and UN = University of Nebraska. NW =/= Northwestern, it is NU.
As an fyi (not that you probably care) but the *U was something that most, if not all of the old Big 8 teams used, for whatever reason. So Colorado is CU, Kansas is KU, Oklahoma is OU, and Nebraska is NU.

But anyhooo....

You can claim there is "parity" in the division, fine. But when Northwestern is a last minute meltdown away from beating Michigan and two epic late defense lapses away from beating a Nebraska team that narrowly beat an absolutely terrible Iowa team (but ultimately won the division), I'd say the division is pretty bad. Nothing against you, but you haven't been an avid follower of Big Ten football long enough to know that when Northwestern has achieved parity with the top teams in the division, the division stinks. Imagine if Iowa State had achieved parity with Mizzou, KSU and Nebraska back in your Big Twelve North days. Would you think that division stunk at least for that year? I would. Northwestern is a crap program that is on par with ISU and when Northwestern comes off a 10 win season where they dang near won in Ann Arbor, that is a tell tale sign of a crappy division. Heck, I don't even want to think back on the Big Ten's bowl performance last year.
Fair enough, but aren't Michgan, Nebraska, and Michigan St all projected to be preseason top 25? Also, when Northwestern was winning and tying for B1G championships from 95-2000, were you claiming that they sucked, or that the conference sucks?

I think that they are very comparable to KSU. Embarrassingly pitiful for decades, but respectable to pretty good for the last 20 or so years.

Sept 2010.

Barta made the mistake of locking up Ferentz for life. Other AD's have made similar mistakes but it appears that only Barta is afraid to correct his mistake.

The Hawks looked like they were once again on the rise after finishing 11-2 and an Orange Bowl win. The saddest part is that Ferentz was already one of the highest paid college football coaches in the country so there was no reason to pay him more or lock him up. He wasn't going to find another gig that paid him like Iowa with similar security. Barta could have called his bluff, he chose not to. The Iowa program has been in a free-fall ever since. 11-2 to 8-5 to 7-6 and finally last years 4-8 record.

DP5555 Its just my opinion based on people I talk to. I saw what happened when they decided Lick should go. I think being on these boards give people a wrong view of the general fan base and certinly the people that really have influence
I keep hearing people say this adamantly on the boards yet I've never heard a good explanation...

How do you know this to be true?

The big contributers wouldnt let Barta fire KF if he wanted to.

That could certainly change if the downward spiral continues. Ferentz has always been popular with the big donors and the everyday fan, but a lot of your average fans are getting restless and that feeling will eventually spread to the fat cats as well. No matter how much a coach is liked, he needs to produce and the last few years, the wins just haven't been there and somewhat worse, the losses have been horrible.

@ok4p. Funny how you can tear down northwestern and isu and say how crappy the programs are when your "program" doesn't seem to have an answer for either of them in the last decade. I would like to see this leg of excellence you are standing on when your squad has gone from 11 wins to 4. In the last four years. With every year in decline. Is it possible the mighty university of Iowa is bringing our division down......

Latest posts