B1G Title game by "selection committee" idea (really???)

metahawk

I heard Northwestern's coach babble this earlier today, then noticed this article just now.

Should B1G select title game teams? - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Honestly, this makes no sense, since we have cross division games being played as a part of the in-conference schedule. Right? Maybe my opinion of this idea is tainted because something about NW's coach irritates me, idk..just seems like a stupid idea really.

I heard Northwestern's coach babble this earlier today, then noticed this article just now.

Should B1G select title game teams? - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Honestly, this makes no sense, since we have cross division games being played as a part of the in-conference schedule. Right? Maybe my opinion of this idea is tainted because something about NW's coach irritates me, idk..just seems like a stupid idea really.

It's kind of goofy, but the Leaders division is a mess, because there are only four 'eligible' teams. I'm not interested in watching some team from that side go 7-5, and win the division then upset the Legends winner in the title game.

Ive always advocated no divisions and just take #1-#2 put then in title game.....might be an ncaa rule against that though. But why not let top two go at it (in 02, Iowa -OSU, 04, Iowa Michigan?, 09 (iowa-OSU?))

I like the idea. The leaders division minus the ineligible teams this year makes the old B12 north look like a powerhouse.

Ive always advocated no divisions and just take #1-#2 put then in title game.....might be an ncaa rule against that though. But why not let top two go at it (in 02, Iowa -OSU, 04, Iowa Michigan?, 09 (iowa-OSU?))

This. It's time to scrap divisions and have 2 permanent rivals and rotate the rest of the schedule. It is an NCAA rule to have divisions, but that is an old rule that really doesn't make sense. It would help solve scheduling issues in these giant 14 team leagues too.

I like the idea to select for this year. Then see how PSU fairs going forward. If the divisions need changed, then do so.

selection committee.. interesting maybe if only in certain situations. maybe implement a new rule say something along the lines of

if a Division Winner A (DWA) has 2 wins less then Division Winner B (DWB) AND DWA's record is no better then 4th in DWB's division a selection committee will determine CCG Matchup.

by doing this if say, Wisconsin goes 8-4 this year to win the division, and UM, MSU and Iowa go 11-1, 10-2, 10-2 they have the 'option' to have the tie-breaker from the two 10-2 teams to play against the 11-1 team or they could just let Wisconsin play.

selection committee.. interesting maybe if only in certain situations. maybe implement a new rule say something along the lines ofif a Division Winner A (DWA) has 2 wins less then Division Winner B (DWB) AND DWA's record is no better then 4th in DWB's division a selection committee will determine CCG Matchup.by doing this if say
, Wisconsin goes 8-4 this year to win the division, and UM, MSU and Iowa go 11-1, 10-2, 10-2 they have the 'option' to have the tie-breaker from the two 10-2 teams to play
against the 11-1 team or they

could just let Wisconsin play.

This would be a good first step approach.

It's kind of goofy, but the Leaders division is a mess, because there are only four 'eligible' teams. I'm not interested in watching some team from that side go 7-5, and win the division then upset the Legends winner in the title game.

Hadn't thought about that - an overall 1 vs 2, regardless of division, does make more sense now.

Latest posts