B1G Tabs Owen Freeman as Freshman of Week

He's fun to watch, isn't he?

Just tenacious. Frequently looks like he's playing with more energy than the other nine dudes on the court.
Yet there are people on here that say Iowa has no difference makers or future stars in the program. No alpha's like Luka, Kris or Keegan, because if you remember, those guys showed up in IC in the prime of their careers.

I thought the lineup with Perkins, PA Sandfort, Krikke, Freeman, and/or Bowen-Dix was a solid unit. Fran needs to go to a 8 man rotation. PR Sandfort can provide some offense and Dembele can provide defense and rebounding when starters need arrest. Frans had some combo's that let Rutgers back in at the end of the first half.

I thought the lineup with Perkins, PA Sandfort, Krikke, Freeman, and/or Bowen-Dix was a solid unit. Fran needs to go to a 8 man rotation. PR Sandfort can provide some offense and Dembele can provide defense and rebounding when starters need arrest. Frans had some combo's that let Rutgers back in at the end of the first half.
You noted a good lineup, for sure. Young Sandfort was a really disruptive part of our D. His older brother was dominant on O. Did you see his 3 point production? Good grief! And he had good assists,rebounds, and inside matchups. Dembele is not ready. He should get minutes, of course. His defense is just ok. Rebounding? Check his stats. Peyton, Krikke, and Freeman carry the load. Remember that Fran releases a lot of guys down the floor for transition numbers which admittedly limits D rebounding. Fran will find the right combo’s for key game situations. One of his coaching strengths.

Boy. Was Fran pissed at the end of the 1st half and again at the end of the game! He obviously made things clear to the players.

Other then for when Sandfort gets hot and hits a few in a row what's there to really pay attention to besides this young fella? He's a monster and he's going to get stronger and hopefully even better touch. Fran hit a homerun with him after striking out with big Josh and that Mulvey kid. I enjoy his effort and hustle on defense as much as anything. We Iowa fans aren't used to that. He should win this award most of the weeks

Other then for when Sandfort gets hot and hits a few in a row what's there to really pay attention to besides this young fella? He's a monster and he's going to get stronger and hopefully even better touch. Fran hit a homerun with him after striking out with big Josh and that Mulvey kid. I enjoy his effort and hustle on defense as much as anything. We Iowa fans aren't used to that. He should win this award most of the weeks
Krickke regularly scores in double digits, Perkins can get hot.

Krickke regularly scores in double digits, Perkins can get hot.
Yes Krike is their most consistent player I'd say. He's good for 16 and 7 rebounds pretty much every game. He's been exactly what they hoped he'd be and more I bet.

TPs game is so frustrating. Part of what the deal with him isn't his fault not even a little bit. Fran keeps putting him at Pg and he's really not one. Last couple games he's really confirmed that. He can score and do a lot of good things but he also makes sloppy sloppy TOs and can make some head scratching decisions out there.

Yet there are people on here that say Iowa has no difference makers or future stars in the program. No alpha's like Luka, Kris or Keegan, because if you remember, those guys showed up in IC in the prime of their careers.
This team is definitely missing a difference maker. One of Fran's first teams to not have one since Gatens senior year.

As a freshman, Garza averaged 12.1 points and 6.4 rebounds in 21.7 minutes per game, shooting 55.7 from the floor.

Freeman is averaging 10.3 and 5.7 in 18.6 minutes per game, shooting 63.3 percent from the floor.

It will be interesting to see where those numbers end up after Freeman goes through a B1G season.

If Freeman went into the portal, high majors would be lining up with bags.
It'd be curious as the season winds down the illicit under the table offers he'll get. College hoops is ridiculous like that. Calipari, Pitino and Self are all on hold.

Last edited:
This team is definitely missing a difference maker. One of Fran's first teams to not have one since Gatens senior year.
I look at it a lot like the 17/18 season with Jok but TP is playing that role. Jok was obviously a much better shooter and scorer than Tony, but his D was as bad as any guard Iowa has ever had so I think TP makes up for some in that regards. WIth better teams around either of those guys and it could have been a decent season.

Latest posts