B1G Problems/PSU Sanction Rumor

5 year bowl ban, 60 scholies lost, and not tv? Its still not good enough in my opinion. Whats the point of them playing then? Just cancel their program instead. People who think thats too extream? Well having a cover up of a sexual preditor is pretty extream as well.

Because football is just a game. It's still fun, even you aren't on TV or going to a bowl.

So what if it hurts the big Ten. It needs to restore some honor. It's not all about money and bcs rankings. What happened was beyond the game.

I disagree with this statement 100000%...the conference does not have to restore honor. That is all on Penn State.

AFAIC, it's actually the resposibility of the B1G leadership to do whatever they can to mitigate the fallout to the conference as a whole and keep it localized to Penn State as much as possible.

I know it's popular to say "look at the bigger picture and those poor kids who were raped"...and while that is obviously very important and will not be forgotten, it doesn't mean that the entire conference has to fall on the sword and allow the disgusting acts of a few to befoul the entire league and hurt all the other institutions.

I believe this is a valid topic to disucss. If you find it offensive, then I suggest you don't bother opening/reading/participating in it.

Since Penn State has apparently agreed to the punishment, I doubt it is going to be as severe as some are speculating....a couple of years' bowl ban, maybe 20 lost scholarships spread out over time, and money to be paid to an abuse victims fund is probably about it.

And it won't hurt their FB program much...if at all...in terms of the athletes they recruit. They will still get the same quality they have in the past.

Since Penn State has apparently agreed to the punishment, I doubt it is going to be as severe as some are speculating....a couple of years' bowl ban, maybe 20 lost scholarships spread out over time, and money to be paid to an abuse victims fund is probably about it.

And it won't hurt their FB program much...if at all...in terms of the athletes they recruit. They will still get the same quality they have in the past.

I disagree. I just read another article on Yahoo that described the scholarship reduction as "crippling". So, they may still bring in some top talent (especially those most interested in playing time), because they won't have a depth chart to contend with. But then again, the lack of a depth chart will be their demise in the Big Ten. This could set PSU back a long ways. So much so that they will more likely be on par with Indiana in football over the next 5 to 10 years than Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc that they are currently on par with. Of course this is speculation on my part until we know for sure what the penalties are.

I disagree with this statement 100000%...the conference does not have to restore honor. That is all on Penn State.

AFAIC, it's actually the resposibility of the B1G leadership to do whatever they can to mitigate the fallout to the conference as a whole and keep it localized to Penn State as much as possible.

I know it's popular to say "look at the bigger picture and those poor kids who were raped"...and while that is obviously very important and will not be forgotten, it doesn't mean that the entire conference has to fall on the sword and allow the disgusting acts of a few to befoul the entire league and hurt all the other institutions.

I believe this is a valid topic to disucss. If you find it offensive, then I suggest you don't bother opening/reading/participating in it.

The Big Ten has been hurt no matter how you look at it. That's just reality. They should deal with it based on what they think is right, profile of the Big Ten be damned. At a certain point, talking about PR, television contracts, etc. becomes gross. A really bad thing happened. Everyone associated with it is going to suffer. That's life.

And so must you, if you know that they are getting kicked out like you implied.

Multiple reports have said that such action would be unlikely. It also requires a vote by Big Ten presidents and I believe needs 8 votes to pass. It's just very unlikely.

I don't know how that was implied. I was merely responding to the posters bandying about names of potential replacements. What I didn't do was post in an absolute manner saying definitively that they would be kicked out, or not kicked out.

I don't know how that was implied. I was merely responding to the posters bandying about names of potential replacements. What I didn't do was post in an absolute manner saying definitively that they would be kicked out, or not kicked out.

For the record I intended on following up with the information about how many reports stated it was unlikely, but I got pulled away from my computer for awhile. So I certainly apologize if I made a definitive statement, based only partially on facts and the rest on opinion. I know that is not what a message board is intended for. Won't happen again.

To some it might seem insensitive, but the reality of the situation is I expect the league to do what it must to keep the scandal's taint from wiping off onto Iowa.

I DO NOT WANT MY LEAGUE/MY SCHOOL LUMPED IN WITH WHAT HAPPENED AT PSU...or at least take measures to mitigate that perception.

These talks are going on whether you want to think about it or not.

I'm fine with having a discussion here on how fellow Hawkeyes feel they should/will go about making that happen.

This does not mean we are minimizing the heinous acts by Sandusky or the vile cover up perpetrated by the PSU leadership.

Like I stated, you can make the choice to ignore the discussion....there are plenty of other topics to participate in. No need to sit there derailing a thread because you don't feel good about the fact it's taking place.

Will psu be forced to forfiet last year's "victories"? If not they should be. No teams that have coaches that do what they did dhould be credited with wins.

Will psu be forced to forfiet last year's "victories"? If not they should be. No teams that have coaches that do what they did dhould be credited with wins.

I just posted this in a different thread. See below tweet talking about vacating wins as far back as 1998.

Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin

No one knows yet for sure but I'm told by #psu official one of the #NCAA sanctions could be taking the wins away from joe pa from 1998 on
Retweeted by Steve Greenberg

To some it might seem insensitive, but the reality of the situation is I expect the league to do what it must to keep the scandal's taint from wiping off onto Iowa.

I DO NOT WANT MY LEAGUE/MY SCHOOL LUMPED IN WITH WHAT HAPPENED AT PSU...or at least take measures to mitigate that perception.

These talks are going on whether you want to think about it or not.

I'm fine with having a discussion here on how fellow Hawkeyes feel they should/will go about making that happen.

This does not mean we are minimizing the heinous acts by Sandusky or the vile cover up perpetrated by the PSU leadership.

Like I stated, you can make the choice to ignore the discussion....there are plenty of other topics to participate in. No need to sit there derailing a thread because you don't feel good about the fact it's taking place.

But we are connected to Penn State. This is no amount of wishing and wanting that is going to take that away. Is it a strong connection? No, I don't think so. I haven't seen any coverage of this issue that has presented it as a Big Ten conference problem.

BUT, unless you are prepared to kick Penn State out of the Big Ten (and if that's what you're suggesting, you should say so), I don't really see what can be done to sever that tie. Iowa and the rest of the Big Ten profited greatly from JoePa's legend, both financially and in terms of profile. In fact, you could argue that few football teams benefited more from having Penn State in the league than Iowa did. So we got the good, and now we have to deal the bad. For crying out loud, we invited them to the conference. Of course no one knew what was going to happen, way back then. All we knew is that football was huge at Penn State, and that Paterno was king. Nothing else mattered. (By the way, ditto Nebraska with the football being huge and nothing else mattering part.)

So now that it's gone wrong you can't just pretend it all away. My guess is that if the Big Ten tried to do that they'd come off looking like morons. It's far more likely that they let the NCAA violations come down, assess how harsh they are, and add some frosting to the cake just for show.

For the record I intended on following up with the information about how many reports stated it was unlikely, but I got pulled away from my computer for awhile. So I certainly apologize if I made a definitive statement, based only partially on facts and the rest on opinion. I know that is not what a message board is intended for. Won't happen again.

Yes, please leave all facts out next time :D

If that happens I would think the Bigten network will be a less valuable product as well due to the loss of the marquee eastern team from the conference. I don't know when the next media contract is due but it might be damaged in value therefore hurting all league members. Im no expert but I don't offhand see a viable replacement for the draw that PSU was.
This will hurt the BigTen. I wonder how much Iowa counts on future media revenue to pay for its long term capital projects like the new practice facility?
Sure it hurts the Big10 revenue wise..But in a time like this dude, just forget about it and think about what is really important here. The Big10 lack of leadership here pisses me off. I have not heard much condemnation from it or any of the Presidents.

So if psu gets a bowl ban starting this year, that likely involves no conference champ. game as well right? So essentially the leaders division will have two teams, ohio st, and penn st. Not able to compete for a conf. Champ. For one year? Jeez I can see the smerk on wisconsins face from here.

Sure it hurts the Big10 revenue wise..But in a time like this dude, just forget about it and think about what is really important here. The Big10 lack of leadership here pisses me off. I have not heard much condemnation from it or any of the Presidents.

With something like this you'll most likely not hear from any university President individually until they have a carefully crafted statement prepared. I'm sure there's been more than one or two conference calls/meetings with senior administrators in the B1G schools. I have no doubt that minions at the conference level are busy right now drafting a written statement acceptable for public consumption. No way these university heads talk off the cuff about this case.

So if psu gets a bowl ban starting this year, that likely involves no conference champ. game as well right? So essentially the leaders division will have two teams, ohio st, and penn st. Not able to compete for a conf. Champ. For one year? Jeez I can see the smerk on wisconsins face from here.
Life also just got easier for Nebraska(permanent cross-divisional rival), unless the conference re-aligns the divisions or PSU gets kicked out entirely. I think they just about have to re-align, by the way things are looking right now.

Latest posts