B1G Problems/PSU Sanction Rumor

NeilDiamond

Have seen it posted they are looking at a 5 year bowl ban, 60 lost schollys total and 3 yr TV ban. Have to assume all players will be allowed to transfer. This type of thing is going to destroy PSU as a FB program. Essentially, no legit B1G caliber player is going to go there for quite a while. Arguably, no legit D1 player will go there. Does the B1G want its other teams playing and potentially serious injuring on a weekly basis a bunch of kids that should be playing at Drake?

If that happens I would think the Bigten network will be a less valuable product as well due to the loss of the marquee eastern team from the conference. I don't know when the next media contract is due but it might be damaged in value therefore hurting all league members. Im no expert but I don't offhand see a viable replacement for the draw that PSU was.
This will hurt the BigTen. I wonder how much Iowa counts on future media revenue to pay for its long term capital projects like the new practice facility?

So what if it hurts the big Ten. It needs to restore some honor. It's not all about money and bcs rankings. What happened was beyond the game.

So what if it hurts the big Ten. It needs to restore some honor. It's not all about money and bcs rankings. What happened was beyond the game.

I have to agree with this opinion completely. What ever happens is deserved and needed. Maybe there isn't a viable option to replace PSU but this needs to happen. Notre Dame has held its nose in the air for a long time but maybe its time for the conference to rethink its stance a bit. Nothing like this has ever happened and drastic times call for drastic measures.

I remember a recent article about Pitt leaving the Big East. I never got caught up on which conference they are moving to. Does anyone know which conference Pitt is going to?

I remember a recent article about Pitt leaving the Big East. I never got caught up on which conference they are moving to. Does anyone know which conference Pitt is going to?

Pretty sure they're headed to the ACC

You know what sucks about this...we OWN penn state. Over the last ten years...this the team we've beaten the most. Are we sure Tressel wasn't molesting someone?

Neil, can you link where you heard that? I have been following this closely, and no national reporter has said anything close to those lines. The no TV thing is very unlikely to happen IMO, because that will not just negatively affect PSU, but all B1G who are scheduled to play them. I don't see that happening at all. 5 year bowl ban, also seems extreme, it could happen, but my guess would be about 3 years. Scholarship reductions seem to be a given. I would guess also some sort of tax or fee to go to a charity supporting victims of this type of crime. They could also force PSU to only play conference games and cancel out of conference games for a period of time (ala Baylor basketball in the 90s).

The big thing for Iowa and other B1G members will be that they will likely allow current players to transfer immediately. Someone needs to talk to Silas Redd and let him know about the gaping hole we have in the backfield right now.

There could be another big penalty of some kind, because all reports are calling this "unprecedented" and "PSU may wish they got the death penalty". So it's got to be bad. Also latest reports are that PSU agreed to these penalties and will not appeal.

I understand what you are saying: I'm just wondering if this could have far reaching financial implications for Iowa. There's an awful lot of capital improvement projects that need to be paid for and I bet the financials assume an increase in revenues from future media contracts. I'm just wondering if this increase will materialize and if not, how this will be paid for.
Clearly a damaged or missing PSU hurts the conference product; especially out east.
I guess these are things Barta will need to deal with somehow.

Neil, can you link where you heard that? I have been following this closely, and no national reporter has said anything close to those lines. The no TV thing is very unlikely to happen IMO, because that will not just negatively affect PSU, but all B1G who are scheduled to play them. I don't see that happening at all. 5 year bowl ban, also seems extreme, it could happen, but my guess would be about 3 years. Scholarship reductions seem to be a given. I would guess also some sort of tax or fee to go to a charity supporting victims of this type of crime. They could also force PSU to only play conference games and cancel out of conference games for a period of time (ala Baylor basketball in the 90s).

The big thing for Iowa and other B1G members will be that they will likely allow current players to transfer immediately. Someone needs to talk to Silas Redd and let him know about the gaping hole we have in the backfield right now.

There could be another big penalty of some kind, because all reports are calling this "unprecedented" and "PSU may wish they got the death penalty". So it's got to be bad. Also latest reports are that PSU agreed to these penalties and will not appeal.

I would like some other sources and some sane people to also come to the table.

a little bit of background of my beliefs...

the NCAA (National Communist Association residing in America, tx Brian Bosworth))

has been a slave holding "non- profit" institution going on 100 years that only in the last 10 years have begun to profit to the tune of BILLIONS of $'s.

The ideals of amateur, student-athlete etc ad nausemu at the Division 1 level in America is just another BIG, BIG LIE we all go alone with.

Why? we love to root for our college teams. (btw no where else in the world does this exit)

In the mean time we must plan for the future and it includes the payment and continuing payments to victims, advocacy groups and people that end child abuse.

I suggest that PSU should not get the death penalty... a slow death will work. For 2012 every Big Ten University must give their best and brightest, huge resources and football dollars to end CHILD ABUSE including SEXUAL CHILD ABUSE.

This would be the same as a death penalty (maybe worse), and yet let all those small businesses still prosper, that so many were worried about. The tv sanctions could just be local blackout (but I doubt it).

BUT...it will send the right message to putting sports below human rights. Any harsh sanctions will send home the message to the PSU fans first, as well as then to all others. Especially those who just have not "gotten" it, the seriousness of what transpired.

This would be the same as a death penalty (maybe worse), and yet let all those small businesses still prosper, that so many were worried about. The tv sanctions could just be local blackout (but I doubt it).

BUT...it will send the right message to putting sports below human rights. Any harsh sanctions will send home the message to the PSU fans first, as well as then to all others. Especially those who just have not "gotten" it, the seriousness of what transpired.

Unfortunately, a lot of Penn St fans just have not "gotten" it. Read.

BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards

5 year bowl ban, 60 scholies lost, and not tv? Its still not good enough in my opinion. Whats the point of them playing then? Just cancel their program instead. People who think thats too extream? Well having a cover up of a sexual preditor is pretty extream as well.

Hmmmm...interesting, so you must be a B1G administrator? Part of the NCAA then?

And so must you, if you know that they are getting kicked out like you implied.

Multiple reports have said that such action would be unlikely. It also requires a vote by Big Ten presidents and I believe needs 8 votes to pass. It's just very unlikely.

5 year bowl ban, 60 scholies lost, and not tv? Its still not good enough in my opinion. Whats the point of them playing then? Just cancel their program instead. People who think thats too extream? Well having a cover up of a sexual preditor is pretty extream as well.

Not good enough? That is worse than the death penalty.

They won't be able to get a recruit for at least four years.

The program will be a low level MAC program for the foreseeable future.

Latest posts