B1G Player of the Year tracker: Marble at No. 1 - BTN.com

Unfortunately, I think the POY race is going to come down to who had the best game or two before the ballots are filled out. I see their projections bouncing back and fourth quite a bit before its all said and done.

Marble has a good shot at winning it, obviously it is going to take a strong finish to win it. I expect Stauskas to get hot again at some point, when he is on he is the best player in the league IMO. Marble amazes me how far he has came since he was a freshman, he is capable of carrying the team but I still do not see him as being the best player in the league.

Marble just didn't look to score in games against cream puffs, or just didn't play much. In blowouts against UNC-Will, MD-E-Shore, Abilene, Penn, UTEP, Fair Dickinson, and AR-Pine-Bluff, he avg:

19 min played (Season avg 28.5)
11.5 PPG (Season 16.5)

So basically if he just got his "normal" 16.5 against the cream puffs, his season Avg. would bump up to 17.9 PPG. This is actually what he is Avg. for BIG play (17.8 PPG).

Doesn't POY usually go to a player from the conference champion team?

Not recently, anyway. Burke won it last year, JuJuan Johnson won it two years ago and D.J. White won it in 2008. A big chunk of the recent winners played for teams that were in a three-way tie for first place, so those players might have still won the award if they'd finished second or third in the conference.

Said guy from Nebraska is a very good player. At Nebraska is a tough W

Petteway scores .5 pts more per game 1.8 more rebounds per game but averages 1.7 assists less than Stauskas.

So rebounds and assists pretty much wash each other out in my mind.

So Petteway scores .5 pts more per game and plays for a team that is in the bottom half of the conference
Stauskas is the star of a team that is tied for first in the conference.

In my opinon, the teams results is worth a lot much more in regars to POY than .5 points.

I guess that's just my take. I don't mean to disrespect Pettaway but I think it's a slight at Stauskas to have him above him.

Out of those mentioned, who has the most complete game? Who scores, plays defense, rallies the troops, etc...From what I saw of Stauskas against Iowa and OSU, he isn't a defensive type of guy, yes, he can score, and yes, his team is ahead of Iowa, but I just don't see him getting it. Although Michigan has to be the surprise team in the B1G this year (imo)....no way did I or anyone else put these guys up this high in the standings based on who they lost from last years team....Michigan is a team where a couple guys got better this year, and a couple of guys have gone the other way, where I see Iowa improving as a team the whole way through....Hell, it'll probably end up being Payne...I do like Harris, but he's struggled in recent weeks, so who the hell knows at this point...just glad Marble is being mentioned....hard work has paid off for him.

This. If Nebraska had a few more W's under it's belt, Pettaway would probably be a very strong first team All-B1G candidate right now.

Would you put Pettaway over Stauskas in Big 10 POY canidate rankings as of today or whenever this article came out?

Out of those mentioned, who has the most complete game? Who scores, plays defense, rallies the troops, etc...From what I saw of Stauskas against Iowa and OSU, he isn't a defensive type of guy, yes, he can score, and yes, his team is ahead of Iowa, but I just don't see him getting it. Although Michigan has to be the surprise team in the B1G this year (imo)....no way did I or anyone else put these guys up this high in the standings based on who they lost from last years team....Michigan is a team where a couple guys got better this year, and a couple of guys have gone the other way, where I see Iowa improving as a team the whole way through....Hell, it'll probably end up being Payne...I do like Harris, but he's struggled in recent weeks, so who the hell knows at this point...just glad Marble is being mentioned....hard work has paid off for him.

Harris and Marble are definitely the most complete of the contenders. Both can play great defense, rebound well, distribute and hit shots inside and out. Their stats are pretty even across the board.

Would you put Pettaway over Stauskas in Big 10 POY canidate rankings as of today or whenever this article came out?

Based solely on what they've done to this point, no. But the writer may also believe that teams have figured out how to defend Stauskas and therefore doesn't expect a strong bounce back.

I believe it will be Harris's to lose...I want marble to win it but I just think because of the fact he plays at msu and with the extended time out for Payne and Dawson....Harris will get the nod unless he really falters.

I believe it will be Harris's to lose...I want marble to win it but I just think because of the fact he plays at msu and with the extended time out for Payne and Dawson....Harris will get the nod unless he really falters.

Let's hope he just holds course, then. He's really struggling right now.

Latest posts