B1G official: No rule against CBI

I would not be in favor of Iowa playing in the CBI. There is no upside for us. If we run the table and win it. So what? It's the freaking CBI.
If we stumble and lose, we just lost to another awful team.

I would not be in favor of Iowa playing in the CBI. There is no upside for us. If we run the table and win it. So what? It's the freaking CBI.

The other thing is: How many of us would actually see the games? The CBI is televised by HDNet. HDNet is Cuban's cable channel. The CBI was created specifically for HDNet. Very few cable & satellite providers carry the channel.

At this point of Iowa basketball I think it's nothing but a positive. Fans are getting excited again and it's more hoops to watch. Plus it gives the young guys more experience, and sends Gatens out with some sort of post-season play.

If there is no rule, what can the B10 do? Give Iowa the cold-shoulder at the next meeting?

Who cares? Do what is best for the program. We are not talking about doing anything unethical here. We are talking about playing in a basketball tournament.

Deloss Dodds is that you?

I couldn't disagree more. It give the team more practice time and that alone makes it worth it. If Iowa's fb team only option was to play a bowl in Detroit I would take it for the practice. CBI would also be an opportunity to play one more time at Carver.

I couldn't disagree more. It give the team more practice time and that alone makes it worth it. If Iowa's fb team only option was to play a bowl in Detroit I would take it for the practice. CBI would also be an opportunity to play one more time at Carver.

It doesn't nothing for our program, but put it in a bad light. The games won't be televised, and it takes time away from coaches who could be looking for JUCO's and transfers.

I just don't see the upside. A few days of practice? Meh......
Probably wouldn't even be that much practice. Games and travel.

Last edited:
I'll take whatever postseason I can get ... If the Big Ten don't like it they need to pay Iowa a kicker for the lost home gate

If there was an official rule, then there would be a legal case for Anti Trust against the Big Ten. That was the bases the NIT had against the NCAA tourney. The NCAA said Texas Tech could not turn down an invitation to play in the NCAA tourney just to play in the NIT. The NIT brought legal actions against the NCAA and to settle the suit, the NCAA bought the NIT for big $$.

I really think that is what the also ran tourneys are hoping for. They want to score big in the court system and have someone else buy them out.

Seems to be some "tournament snobs" in this thread. Not sure I would want to take that attitude, considering Iowa hasn't sniffed a post-season tourney since Hector was a pup.

Seems to be some "tournament snobs" in this thread. Not sure I would want to take that attitude, considering Iowa hasn't sniffed a post-season tourney since Hector was a pup.
Exactly. This is the one and only year to be excited for a CBI bid. Iowa needs some sort of postseason for the players and fans. It's been too long.

Exactly. This is the one and only year to be excited for a CBI bid. Iowa needs some sort of postseason for the players and fans. It's been too long.
Why CBI? If not NIT, they need to play in some tourney to start getting used to it. They're going to be doing a lot of it in the next few years.

Latest posts