B1G not too weak

It doesn't matter if you look at this season (4-11) or the previous 10 seasons combined (60-90 vs other power 5 teams), B1G football is pretty weak.

For comparison, here is a look at the other conference marks over the last 10 years: Ranked by # of wins vs other Power 5 teams
1. SEC 112-65 .633
2. PAC 79-68 .537
3. Big 12 74-61 .548
4. B1G 60-90 .400
5. ACC 60-101 .372

IU beat mizzou. Mizzou might just repeat as the SEC East Champs.....they have the inside track right now. So, IU probably finishes 5th in the Big Ten East, but beats the SEC East Champ......that would mean the SEC East sucks. Fine. The Big Ten West is better than the SEC East....it is a start.

Ditto for me regarding Abdullah. I think MSU is going to punish him. They are going to force Nebraska to throw the ball. This may be one of the most physical games in the B1G this year and Nebby goes down with a big thud.
I hope you are right, but Nebraska actually moved the ball pretty well against them last year. They just turned it over too many times. MSU's defense isn't as good as last year, but their offense is better. I hate 'em, but I don't hate anyone more than Nebraska.

No, but apparently you're going to ignore my whole message and spin a partial portion of it to how you'd like it to look for the sake of an argument?

If the Big Ten isn't down and doesn't suck, relative to where they traditionally are, why did they only win three games that one week when all of the Big Ten teams played non-conference opponents? Three games? You cannot sugar coat that. That doesn't happen if a conference is a really good conference. Actually that happens when a conference isn't very good. Weeks like that are rarely flukes. You can say all you want about the three marquee games that week, and how only MSU was on a level with their opponent that week. The conference still lost all of those other games.

Indiana, a decent team beat Mizzou who beat SEC foe (and my #2 team) USC today.I think what it is is that college football just as a whole doesnt have a ton of team talent. Watching ISU play close and keep Baylor below avg sort of validates this in my mind. bama, FSU, OU have all had their struggles this year. So basically, I'm tired of hearing how weak the big 10 is, as it really takes away from some good conference play this year.

ISU played Baylor close?

Baylor was ahead, 35-7 at half time. They called off the dogs in the 4th quarter. The game ended with Baylor having their reserves in and letting the clock run on the ISU 6 yard line. Baylor could have scored 70 had they been inclined to do so.

Iowa is the only team in the country not capable of scoring on the ISU defense. That is why Ferentz should be gone. ISU defense is horrible and we get beat by them at Kinnick. Totally unacceptable.

The Big Ten is not good outside of OSU, MSU, and Nebraska. Iowa's 4 wins are against teams who are combined 9-15 so far. And average margin of victory is 8 points. Against 4 of the worst teams on their schedule sadly.

Just to compare:

The Big 10 has played non-conference games against top teams from the SEC, ACC, the PAC 12 and Notre Dame.

Michigan sucks and got blew out by Notre Dame
Purdue sucks and played Notre Dame tight for 3 quarters
Wisconsin lead LSU almost the entire game at a "Neutral" Site in Texas but lost in the last couple minutes.
MSU lead Oregon, at Oregon late into the 3rd quarter but lost.
Iowa won at Pitt who won at Boston College who beat USC
Nebraska pounded Miami.
Lowly Indiana beat one of the SEC favorites at Missouri.
OSU lost to Virginia Tech. Reminder that OSU was playing without it's Heisman caliber QB.

Someone remind me who the Big 12 has beaten in Non conference play?? Come on.. Hell, ISU probably has conference's best non-league win, unless you count TCU's win over Minnesota as good. Kansas State has lost to the only decent team they have played. Oklahoma has beaten no one. Okie state lost to the only decent team they have played. Baylor has played no one (as usual)
Texas Tech lost to an Average SEC team (Arkansas by 21) Texas has been bombed by BYU and lost to UCLA at Home.

Now tell me again which conference sucks..

Last edited by a moderator:
While all this is true, the B1G at least played the games. The B1G played 14 games against power 5 to the SEC's 7, twice as many. While I agree the B1G is not the best, it's certainly not the bottom either, and for the most part, the league as a whole took way more risks this OOC. Also, try telling me that a loss to Mizzou carries more weight than a loss to Indiana now, cause it doesn't.

Latest posts