B1G Just 1 Team in Top 24 AP

Kind of reminds me of the "ISU currently has second longest streak in the nation at holding opponents under 36 points" claim to fame that we heard last week. Fortunately that streak ended and we no longer have to hear about it.

But haven't you heard? ISU now the longest streak in the big 12 holding teams under 43. Amazing defense!

This thread is hilarious. I honestly can't believe there are actually folks left that think the B1G is even playing the same game as the SEC. The gap between those two leagues is a canyon. It will never be closed. The only B1G team that is any good is Ohio St & they'd likely finish as the 7th maybe 8th best team in the SEC. The reality is that the B1G is the MAC with a much larger bank account.

The real question here is what will happen when Ohio St gets left out of a playoff or two starting next season, primarily because of the lack of quality wins they'll have because the B1G is terrible. Anyone care to guess?

I don't think anyone is saying that the Big Ten is a better conference. I think what's being brought up is the fact that there is material out there that can be used to argue the myth that the SEC is hands down the best conference in football and as a product is superior to all other conferences at this time.

And please, with the OSU comment, I'm not saying that they'd win the SEC by any means, but what almighty SEC schedule would they be playing that would have them finishing no higher then 7th or 8th? Would they be playing Georgia's schedule from last year where they avoided playing at the very least 3 of the top 5 teams in the conference?

Not to burst your bubble, but this mentality is exactly what this thread is about. It's the ignorance that the bottom middle tier and bottom of the SEC is far superior to the rest of the talent nation wide. What's your next claim that Kentucky or any other SEC bottomfeeder would finish in the top half of any other conference?

But haven't you heard? ISU now the longest streak in the big 12 holding teams under 43. Amazing defense!

The heart break is that no longer applies to a national streak. They went from being #2 nationally to the longest streak in the conference.. Definitely a step back. However, I'm sure they could reapply it nationally and state that their streak is currently ranked "x" nationally at consecutive games without allowing 43 or more points.

The sec is the best conference but mizzou and a&m seem to be doing alright there. It's not like every other league is triple a.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that "the SEC is bad". I think they're definitely a strong conference. I think what the majority of us that refuse to jump on the SEC bandwagon are stating is that there is such thing as SEC bias and that the SEC as a conference is not head and shoulders above the rest of the college world in terms of talent. While there are definitely an elite team (or teams) at the top of the conference the fact is there are just as many cream puffs at the bottom of the conference as there are in other conferences, and the fact that a team is in that conference shouldn't be a free pass simply because of conference affiliation.

But right now the SEC are head and shoulders above everyone else. The ACC has a couple of good teams but that conference is about to blow up and the Pac12 can hold their own. But the Big Ten is suffering right now, especially with the sanctions on Penn State, you have Ohio State and then everyone else. Ohio State is the only team that could compete in the SEC and they would probably be a middle of the pack SEC team.

Last edited:
This thread is hilarious. I honestly can't believe there are actually folks left that think the B1G is even playing the same game as the SEC. The gap between those two leagues is a canyon. It will never be closed. The only B1G team that is any good is Ohio St & they'd likely finish as the 7th maybe 8th best team in the SEC. The reality is that the B1G is the MAC with a much larger bank account.

The real question here is what will happen when Ohio St gets left out of a playoff or two starting next season, primarily because of the lack of quality wins they'll have because the B1G is terrible. Anyone care to guess?

This post is honestly hilarious. I promise you that Ohio State would be at least 3rd in the SEC. I go to the University of Tennessee and watch the SEC every week. Ohio State would destroy quite a few of these teams down here. UF, USC, Mizzou, Tenn, Ark, Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky, UGA (right now), and maybe even Ole Miss would all lose to Ohio State in my opinion after watching most of these teams play. People need to understand that the SEC didn't win the last 4 championships, the state of Alabama did. Alabama is miles of ahead of the other SEC programs other than maybe LSU. Ohio State is a very good team so quit acting like they aren't.

I hate the SEC as much as anybody, but if the SEC is as bad as everyone suggests then why does this not show up in the bowl games?

People are not suggesting they are bad. They are suggesting they are overrated.

One factor with their bowl record is they play 90% of their bowl games within their conference footprint. Its not an overriding factor, but its there.

Sorry about the accident that left you brain damaged.

But right now the SEC are head and shoulders above everyone else. The ACC has a couple of good teams but that conference is about to blow up and the Pac12 can hold their own. But the Big Ten is suffering right now, especially with the sanctions on Penn State, you have Ohio State and then everyone else. Ohio State is the only team that could compete in the SEC and they would probably be a middle of the pack SEC team.

Again, I'm not even sure about head and shoulders better then everyone else. I'm a firm believer that at this point in the season the PAC is a better conference then the SEC. I'm also a firm believer that it wouldn't be crazy for anyone to say that both the PAC and the ACC have better teams leading their conferences then the SEC does (minus maybe Bama, but they're still not where they were the last few years). I honestly feel that they despite what the media wants me to believe the fact is I don't see any reason I shouldn't think that the SEC being head and shoulders above everyone else isn't anything more than a falacy.

I'm also a firm believer that its not about the conference as a whole but the team on the front of the jersey. I find it a joke that this SEC propaganda machine continues to gain conference prestige based on the fact that Bama keeps winning. Again, not saying there aren't elite teams in the conference, but I simply don't believe that top to bottom they're better then everyone else. I firmly believe that an SEC bottomfeeder would continue to be a bottomfeed anywhere else, and that based on the level of play at Oregon, FSU, Clemson, and others that not only could they hold their own in the SEC this year but they also would be in contention to win the SEC team.

I hate the SEC as much as anybody, but if the SEC is as bad as everyone suggests then why does this not show up in the bowl games? The fact is the SEC gets the cream of the recruits, even their bottom feeders like Ole Miss get top 25 recruiting classes. At the end of the day they get players into the NFL where you cannot survive without talent.

Currently,
Iowa has 26 players in the NFL
Mississippi has 21
ISU has 7.
We should be kicking their a** every year.

Kicker22, you mention a few good teams from other conferences. They are good but the conference they are in are no where near as good as the SEC. Oregon, Clemson, or FSU could compete in the SEC and I hope one of them knocks off Alabama for the NC.

The "SEC is overrated" comments and comparisons between their parity to that of the B1G is angering. The unbiased computer rankings back up the human polls. The "SEC plays a cupcake non-con schedule" rants are even worse.

SEC Non-con games against the Top 25:
Florida @ #10 Miami
Florida vs. #5 Florida State
Alabama vs. #19 Virginia Tech
Georgia @ #3 Clemson
Kentucky vs. #8 Louisville
South Carolina vs #3 Clemson
Mississippi State vs. #21 Oklahoma State
Tennessee @ #2 Oregon

Compared to the B1G:
Iowa vs. #23 Northern Illinois
Purdue vs. #23 Northern Illinois
Indiana vs. #14 Missouri
Nebraska vs. #9 UCLA
Illinois vs. #20 Washington

The SEC is earning their BCS bids, and they're winning those games. Give it a rest.

The "SEC is overrated" comments and comparisons between their parity to that of the B1G is angering. The unbiased computer rankings back up the human polls. The "SEC plays a cupcake non-con schedule" rants are even worse.

SEC Non-con games against the Top 25:
Florida @ #10 Miami
Florida vs. #5 Florida State
Alabama vs. #19 Virginia Tech
Georgia @ #3 Clemson
Kentucky vs. #8 Louisville
South Carolina vs #3 Clemson
Mississippi State vs. #21 Oklahoma State
Tennessee @ #2 Oregon

Compared to the B1G:
Iowa vs. #23 Northern Illinois
Purdue vs. #23 Northern Illinois
Indiana vs. #14 Missouri
Nebraska vs. #9 UCLA
Illinois vs. #20 Washington

The SEC is earning their BCS bids, and they're winning those games. Give it a rest.

Someone finger cuffs the SEC every night?

Middle of the pack?
Duh.

- Then teams need to stop scheduling weak *ss early games, trying to rack up a few early wins to help them get into contention for a bowl. That strategy backfired on a few teams this year like Kansas State. Other then Ohio State all the talented speed kids go to the SEC, Oregon, Texas, Florida leaving the BIG a slower more methodical conference. And unfortunately Iowa is one of the more slower, methodical, predictable teams you will find.

- Then teams need to stop scheduling weak *ss early games, trying to rack up a few early wins to help them get into contention for a bowl. That strategy backfired on a few teams this year like Kansas State. Other then Ohio State all the talented speed kids go to the SEC, Oregon, Texas, Florida leaving the BIG a slower more methodical conference. And unfortunately Iowa is one of the more slower, methodical, predictable teams you will find.

LSU, Florida and South Carolina all thought that way going into their bowl game *** kickings by big, fat & slow, Iowa!
The SEC is smarmy, dark, & dirty.

Kicker22, you mention a few good teams from other conferences. They are good but the conference they are in are no where near as good as the SEC. Oregon, Clemson, or FSU could compete in the SEC and I hope one of them knocks off Alabama for the NC.

Sorry, but if speaking specifically about the ACC i might agree, but the PAC 12 is every bit as good as the SEC top to bottom. The problem is that due to the fact they're on the west coast they don't get the exposure based on how late the majority of their games are. I'm not stating that the PAC is a better conference, what I'm saying is that the SEC from top to bottom is not night and day better then they are. Unfortunately the PAC 12 or ACC champion, or any other team won't get the luxury of getting that extra consideration with one loss for the MNC that a one loss SEC team would get. If Clemson or FSU drop a game they are most likely out of the running, where as a one loss top tier SEC program still has life regardless of who they lose to.