B1G Just 1 Team in Top 24 AP

Florida and Auburn have done nothing to warrant being in the top 25, and Georgia with their current injuries are a fringe top 25 team as well. I expect those three to soon be on the fringe/out of the top 25.

Looking at who got votes this week...

B1G has 6/12 teams in the top 35.
SEC has 8/14 teams in the top 35.

Unfortunately if Iowa had 2008-2010 talent we could have maybe, maybe been going to the rose bowl or other BCS bowl games against the last few years and going forward. We are being mediocre in a mediocre conference.

Here is the best SEC hype write up I have seen lately. Taken from a ESPN comment section. Here's how voting works in regard to the SEC:

"Rank 'em all high before the season and have them play*weak OOC games, so as to eliminate any reference point.

Here's where it gets fun. Have the overrated teams (overrated because of their preseason rankings) beat each other and then say,"Yeah, we lost. But look how highly rated that team was!" Following this line of thinking -- which the voters do -- the SEC can never really drop. Their wins are considered better than they really are and their losses more justifiable than they really are. It borders on the absurd.*"

Last edited:
Also, I’ve never seen a conference that receives the benefit of the doubt as much as the SEC. Auburn was what like 2-10 last year? And they are now ranked coming off a win vs 1-5 Western Carolina.

Fairly certain that the title of this thread should have been "Big Just 2 Teams in the Top 25 AP".

Not sure why we reduced the sample size to 24. Dramatic effect perhaps?

When one big ten team beats another, it just goes to show you how bad the conference is.

When one SEC team beats another, it just goes to show yew how dadgum tough the conference is.

The SEC is operating on smoke and mirrors. Outside of bama its not nearly as good of a conference as the media makes it out to be. However, only when somebody beats the SEC in the NC game will people begin to realize that. But, they certainly earned it so I can't complain too much.

The SEC is operating on smoke and mirrors. Outside of bama its not nearly as good of a conference as the media makes it out to be. However, only when somebody beats the SEC in the NC game will people begin to realize that. But, they certainly earned it so I can't complain too much.

It would help to beat the SEC in head to head matchups in bowl games, too, but it does start with the ncg. Too bad nobody from the B1G is good enough to do so.

Don't forget Mizzou lost QB James Franklin for the rest of the year. They will find their way out of the top 25 within the next few weeks with games against Florida and South Carolina.

Here is the best SEC hype write up I have seen lately. Taken from a ESPN comment section. Here's how voting works in regard to the SEC:

"Rank 'em all high before the season and have them play*weak OOC games, so as to eliminate any reference point.

Here's where it gets fun. Have the overrated teams (overrated because of their preseason rankings) beat each other and then say,"Yeah, we lost. But look how highly rated that team was!" Following this line of thinking -- which the voters do -- the SEC can never really drop. Their wins are considered better than they really are and their losses more justifiable than they really are. It borders on the absurd.*"

I've been saying this for years (not word for word of course). The fact is that the SEC is the only conference in which every game truly doesn't matter, because they get a mulligan in terms of the BCS. I've never seen another conference on the whole move up as fast in the in the polls after a win and drop so little after a loss. It's pathetic.

I'm amazed we don't see an SEC team ranked 20-25 lose a game to an unranked SEC team only to see that unranked team ranked the next week and the team that lost stay there. It's amazing.

I hate the SEC as much as anybody, but if the SEC is as bad as everyone suggests then why does this not show up in the bowl games? The fact is the SEC gets the cream of the recruits, even their bottom feeders like Ole Miss get top 25 recruiting classes. At the end of the day they get players into the NFL where you cannot survive without talent.

I hate the SEC as much as anybody, but if the SEC is as bad as everyone suggests then why does this not show up in the bowl games? The fact is the SEC gets the cream of the recruits, even their bottom feeders like Ole Miss get top 25 recruiting classes. At the end of the day they get players into the NFL where you cannot survive without talent.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that "the SEC is bad". I think they're definitely a strong conference. I think what the majority of us that refuse to jump on the SEC bandwagon are stating is that there is such thing as SEC bias and that the SEC as a conference is not head and shoulders above the rest of the college world in terms of talent. While there are definitely an elite team (or teams) at the top of the conference the fact is there are just as many cream puffs at the bottom of the conference as there are in other conferences, and the fact that a team is in that conference shouldn't be a free pass simply because of conference affiliation.

This thread is hilarious. I honestly can't believe there are actually folks left that think the B1G is even playing the same game as the SEC. The gap between those two leagues is a canyon. It will never be closed. The only B1G team that is any good is Ohio St & they'd likely finish as the 7th maybe 8th best team in the SEC. The reality is that the B1G is the MAC with a much larger bank account.

The real question here is what will happen when Ohio St gets left out of a playoff or two starting next season, primarily because of the lack of quality wins they'll have because the B1G is terrible. Anyone care to guess?

When did the AP change their poll to the Top 24?

Kind of reminds me of the "ISU currently has second longest streak in the nation at holding opponents under 36 points" claim to fame that we heard last week. Fortunately that streak ended and we no longer have to hear about it.

Latest posts