B1G hoops for next year.

I just don't see Iowa that high RIGHT NOW. Maryland, OSU and Minnesota should be higher. They're all better than Iowa. No way OSU falls that hard. Iowa is around 8th until they address needs, unless Dickerson is a revelation. If that 4th scholarship is used on yet another project then 1/4 recruits gets meaningful minutes next year. Not going to be able to replace Marble, McCabe, and Basabe with just Dickerson.

Yeah no way does OSU drop to 9th, Iowa would be lucky to finish 8th next year the way things are going.

Yeah no way does OSU drop to 9th, Iowa would be lucky to finish 8th next year the way things are going.

Imwouldnt go that far. I'm seeing iowa listed in the Top 25 in several publications. Depends on how guys develop but the hawks will certainly miss Marble's ability to penetrate, score and be a matchup problem at the guard spot.

OSU will always be good as long as Matta is there. Same with Izzo. I don't care if MSU loses their entire roster, they'll be good.

Wisconsin can be one of the best teams all year wire-to-wire. Nebraska is on the rise and they return basically everyone.

He is missing some info in this article:

OSU- also add top 20 sg, Russell.....he has OSU way too low....

PU- lists Jay Simpson as returning, but he has a heart condition and will not play anymore.

My list:

Wis
OSU

Mich
MSU
Md
Iowa
Neb
Minny
Ill

IU
NW
PSU
PU
RU

The top 9 have a shot at making the Dance...the bottom 5 will not.

I think Nebraska falls back a bit. They had a manageable schedule this year.

I wish. Nebbie will be sickening this coming year. All the media will be talking about Miles. Like the Badgers I think Nebbie only loses one player (Gallegos)

probably have aver to compete with them for recruits too. Yuck

It depends on who is leaving early, of course but I see us in the 6th - 9th area. Closer to 9th if we don't get some leadership. On the court or the sideline. It's gotta come from somewhere.

I just don't see Iowa that high RIGHT NOW. Maryland, OSU and Minnesota should be higher. They're all better than Iowa. No way OSU falls that hard. Iowa is around 8th until they address needs, unless Dickerson is a revelation. If that 4th scholarship is used on yet another project then 1/4 recruits gets meaningful minutes next year. Not going to be able to replace Marble, McCabe, and Basabe with just Dickerson.

You don't have to replace them. Everybody who is on the team right now is going to be a year more experienced, making them a year better. In fact, IMHO, you only need to replace Marble. Here's my take on the three:
  • There were times when Basabe was strong inside. He's a good player and I'm glad Iowa had him for 4 years. But is he irreplaceable? Hardly.
  • McCabe, as I've seen mentioned in other threads, was VERY inconsistent. I thought he'd have a better senior year (ala Eric May) than what he had. Again .. he was a solid player. He gave the Hawks what they needed for 4 years. I'm glad the Hawks had him.
  • Marble is the one key player. But his leaving may be a blessing as, IMHO, most of the team leaned on him to be THE guy, and when he was off .. everyone was off until he got back on. Now, everyone will have to step it up.
    (I'm reminded of Brett Favre/Sterling Sharpe. Farvre relied on Sharpe and threw more passes to him than anyone else. When Sharpe was injured, Favre was forced to distribute the football more evenly, making the Packers a better team and Favre a better QB.)

Another point is the trip to Europe. Yes .. it was a bonding time for the team, but it may have also been the demise at the end of the year. Too much basketball too soon and the guys got tired, mentally and physically, by the end of the year.

I think Iowa will be fine, maybe even better, next year. I'll wait to see how things go.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

You seem to be assuming no players will improve their game.

You seem to be assuming no players will improve their game.

I would love for Iowa to get Nzei if Atwood doesn't come. He is a great athlete with a nonstop motor. There isn't a team in the country that can't use a great rebounder. It would be pretty good if they could get both Atwood and Nzei. I suppose Nzei would redshirt next year if that happened. All Iowa really lacked as a team this year was quickness, and they should be a lot quicker team next year.

Latest posts