B1G has an Iowa Problem

Interesting, I think the hawks need to go after higher rated recruits. All you need to do is get one more 4 or 5 star guy each year.

So you're ready for regime change, I take it?

I wouldn't call it regime change with respect to the the coaching staff. The administration and some of the athletic department? Yes, throw them out. A couple of the Board of Regents (both political ideologies)? Throw them out also.

I'm not a KF hater, but I'm concerned. I think it is time to look for an exit strategy and perpetuation plan that allows some type of smooth transition.

Look, I thought Hayden stayed too long also. I didn't hate Hayden, and I don't hate Kirk Ferentz. I do think one stayed too long, and it is starting to look like so is the other.

Lots of people on here have had to either discipline or terminate an employee. I personally have never found it an easy thing to do. Easier to post about it on a message board certainly.

I wouldn't call it regime change with respect to the the coaching staff. The administration and some of the athletic department? Yes, throw them out. A couple of the Board of Regents (both political ideologies)? Throw them out also.

I'm not a KF hater, but I'm concerned. I think it is time to look for an exit strategy and perpetuation plan that allows some type of smooth transition.

Look, I thought Hayden stayed too long also. I didn't hate Hayden, and I don't hate Kirk Ferentz. I do think one stayed too long, and it is starting to look like so is the other.

Lots of people on here have had to either discipline or terminate an employee. I personally have never found it an easy thing to do. Easier to post about it on a message board certainly.

Not too many employees that get terminated can walk away with over sixty million dollars in their pocket. The U of I and all the fans owe this man and his family absolutely nothing.

I respectfully disagree. We owe him a friendly departure based on things he has accomplished in the past. Notwithstanding the recent debacles, he has accomplished a lot. I'm not saying he shouldn't go. I'm saying the admin at Iowa needs to find a way to do this without negative consequences.

Again, I think Hayden stayed too long. I think he ran the program down at the end. I thought he needed to go, but in that case we couldn't just screw him over. I believe the same applies to KF.

Don't misunderstand any of this as my accepting what I'm seeing on the field right now. Although I agree about execution as much as that rubs others the wrong way, I absolutely disagree with the passing game, and I put most of the loss and lack of performance on the coaching staff this season.

It's in KF's control, he can make it as amicable as he wants it to be, depending on how he responds to questions/concerns about the program he runs at Iowa. I don't like to play the "what if" game but a lot may depend on who is the AD going forward. If GB is still around when KF decides to go, who knows, maybe KF will buy some goodwill for GB and himself by foregoing some of his contractual money. But if GB is gone and the new AD is not a KF supporter, it could get ugly and that would be unfortunate. But even then, KF controls how it ends with the huge bargaining chip of how many years remain under his contract. He can always buy a lot of goodwill with the fans if he leaves some of that money in the U of Iowa's control. For example, maybe he takes the last 2-3 years of his contract to create an endowment fund at UI for some important cause. Who really knows what could happen. But I will say this, if he walks away with every last cent of the contract he was given, he had better finish well at Iowa and leave the program in good shape because that's the only way fans will believe the money was earned.

I mean, this is all fine and everything ... But why does Forbes magazine have two articles about our football program in the same week?

i don't read forbes, but I was a little amazed to even see ONE article on Iowa football, let alone two.

The Forbes guy is from IOwa, and went to jNW is my understanding. I agree. Both with what he has written, and about why he is on some sort of media elitist mission.

It's in KF's control, he can make it as amicable as he wants it to be, depending on how he responds to questions/concerns about the program he runs at Iowa. I don't like to play the "what if" game but a lot may depend on who is the AD going forward. If GB is still around when KF decides to go, who knows, maybe KF will buy some goodwill for GB and himself by foregoing some of his contractual money. But if GB is gone and the new AD is not a KF supporter, it could get ugly and that would be unfortunate. But even then, KF controls how it ends with the huge bargaining chip of how many years remain under his contract. He can always buy a lot of goodwill with the fans if he leaves some of that money in the U of Iowa's control. For example, maybe he takes the last 2-3 years of his contract to create an endowment fund at UI for some important cause. Who really knows what could happen. But I will say this, if he walks away with every last cent of the contract he was given, he had better finish well at Iowa and leave the program in good shape because that's the only way fans will believe the money was earned.
I agree with this. KF has done a tremendous about of good for UI, and he doesn't deserve to be run out of down by an angry mob with pitch forks. With that said, I had hope that last year he was on his way to fixing this this thing and making one more run. From what I've seen so far this year, it feels pretty hopeless. The season isn't over yet, and something could change, but it really doesn't seem likely. Personally, I would use the Pitt game to find some things out if I were KF. Put in CJ for a few drives, try to get the ball to your young talented receivers. The offense really can't be much worse. But KF is too stubborn, or believes in what he is doing too much. He has the contract to afford to be stubborn. So Iowa fan just has to hang on tight and pray the ball bounces our way.

The Forbes guy is from IOwa, and went to jNW is my understanding. I agree. Both with what he has written, and about why he is on some sort of media elitist mission.

Aha. Journalistic payback from the Hayden years. I guess I can't fault him for that (even though journalists should be above that) ... plus, I understand these iowa stories have a reputation for getting a lot of traffic to one's web site.

I'm frustrated by all the what if stuff. Look there's a couple things that lead to success in College Football:

-Don't hire Charlie Weiss or Turner Gill as your head coach.

-FREAKING RECRUIT BETTER STUDS

-USE THE TALENT YOU DO HAVE IN APPROPRITE MANNER (Put them in a position to succeed for you and quit the KF mantra we are afraid to lose)

Liked the article, and would agree Big Ten is stuck, in the mud, look how long it took both basketball tourney, and how long it took football to get a championship game. The assistants and recruiting are the key, and the Big Ten does not do well in either category.

I'm not as familiar with recruiting practices as some here so maybe you can answer a few questions I have.

Is there a difference in recruiting requirements between conferences(required gpa, SAT/ACT)?

Is there a difference between conferences on the money that can be allocated to recruiting?

What's the biggest difference between conferences in recruiting?

So you're ready for regime change, I take it?

Dude, a beat writer for Northwestern is calling for KFz head... in Forbes. What's it going to take, GQ calling for the coach to step down before you realize that the coaching staff has done a poor job? Maybe Conan O'Brien can chime in on it too.

It is so bad that lots of voices outside of the fanbase and beat writers are telling us that something is rotten in Iowa City. Time to be our not to be.

Personally, I would use the Pitt game to find some things out if I were KF. Put in CJ for a few drives, try to get the ball to your young talented receivers. The offense really can't be much worse. But KF is too stubborn, or believes in what he is doing too much. He has the contract to afford to be stubborn. So Iowa fan just has to hang on tight and pray the ball bounces our way.

That is my frustration as well, KF holds all the chips and he can do what he pleases. I'm sure GB had the right intentions in mind when he gave KF the 10 year contract but the unfortunate truth is he created a nightmare for himself, let alone all the Iowa fans who want to see genuine Iowa football restored to the field of play. Frankly, what can he do other than beg KF to be willing to be objective about the aspects of the program that are not working.

You can be sure that Kirk will not do anything unless it's his idea and that's the most depressing thought. Remember how he stuck with JVB for every snap of the 2012 season because he was KF's best option. No consideration was given to getting returning QB's some experience for next season - no, we're going to keep riding that same horse into the ground. Actually, it would have been instructive to play someone else to see if anyone could execute GD's unproven offense - if the next guys in looked even worse, what would that have told us about the scheme? In KF's mind, it would have just confirmed what he said before, but in the minds of most others invested in the program, it would have been obvious that the GD scheme is not salvageable and needs to be jettisoned.

Well, all we can do is hope that KF will see the light before he pilfers away any more of the 2014 season.

2012 Was completely different. JVB was our best option. We had a lot of problems of which JVB was the least. WRs had no idea what to do. Im told the WR coach didn't even know the offense. This year we seem to have a option. We don't know if Beathard is better but I would love to see him get a chance.

2012 Was completely different. JVB was our best option. We had a lot of problems of which JVB was the least. WRs had no idea what to do. Im told the WR coach didn't even know the offense. This year we seem to have a option. We don't know if Beathard is better but I would love to see him get a chance.

I agree, JVB was the best option at QB in 2012 but my primary point was why not use the latter half of the season to build experience for next year? Did KF actually think that JVB could turn it around in each of their last 6 games like he did in the 2011 Pitt game? Additionally, where would we have been had JVB gotten hurt like Stanzi did in 2009? Was anyone prepared to step in? No, even though JVB played a tremendous game against O$U that year, who was prepared to take over for JVB in 2012 if he was unable to play?

The extremely ironic thing is that KF has said it himself - game experience matters, so if he believes that, why wouldn't he give his players the opportunity to gain that experience whenever possible?

Latest posts