B1G going to talk revenue sharing with players?

Also, what is going to happen when XYZ ALLSTAR player at Iowa gets pouched when some NIL backer with very deep pockets from a blue blood school comes a calling....and there is absolutely zero regulation because the market is completely open to do whatever....and Iowa can't match it?

Also, what is going to happen when XYZ ALLSTAR player at Iowa gets pouched when some NIL backer with very deep pockets from a blue blood school comes a calling....and there is absolutely zero regulation because the market is completely open to do whatever....and Iowa can't match it?
What's going to happen? Kid will either go or he won't. Just like now kids either stay or they go. Transfer rules allow them to do so. The why is irrelevant. If Iowa wants to stay competitive they'll have to pony up for a lot of kids. Or recruit accordingly. It's a two way street Iowa can bring in transfers too.

KF has always been about fit with recruiting so if it's literally all about the $ with a kid he's most likely going to balk at him. How many 5 star great recruits have been out there that he didn't even try to recruit due to fit? Happens all the time there's a pool of players to pick from that's available and that part isn't changing. Iowa's pool is smaller than Bamas because they don't bother trying on some kids that wouldn't fit or he knows they wouldn't want anyway.

What's going to happen? Kid will either go or he won't. Just like now kids either stay or they go. Transfer rules allow them to do so. The why is irrelevant. If Iowa wants to stay competitive they'll have to pony up for a lot of kids. Or recruit accordingly. It's a two way street Iowa can bring in transfers too.

KF has always been about fit with recruiting so if it's literally all about the $ with a kid he's most likely going to balk at him. How many 5 star great recruits have been out there that he didn't even try to recruit due to fit? Happens all the time there's a pool of players to pick from that's available and that part isn't changing. Iowa's pool is smaller than Bamas because they don't bother trying on some kids that wouldn't fit or he knows they wouldn't want anyway.
Fair points, but it still makes Iowa's job (and schools like Iowa) that much harder.....I think that is my whole point to all of this....money makes things that much harder....it will always already hard of course....but it did not help things. Now coaches and the colleges have one more thing (a big thing) to worry about it. It is not just coming into a kid's home and the parents saying how are you going to develop my kid and how are you going to look out for him. It is now, how much money you are prepared to give (your NIL backers) before you come in the door.

Fair points, but it still makes Iowa's job (and schools like Iowa) that much harder.....I think that is my whole point to all of this....money makes things that much harder....it will always already hard of course....but it did not help things. Now coaches and the colleges have one more thing (a big thing) to worry about it. It is not just coming into a kid's home and the parents saying how are you going to develop my kid and how are you going to look out for him. It is now, how much money you are prepared to give (your NIL backers) before you come in the door.
These coaches get paid millions. They have a ton of staffers and assistants. I'm not too worried about adding a little something to their plates. If they don't like it I'm sure others will embrace and those that don't will fall behind and have nobody else to blame.

Again, you're assuming this is going to happen, and it would happen anyway money or no money.

Man, you are waaaay overestimating the money that's out there for these guys, and I heard Kirby Smart mention in an interview that he has no interest in his donor base poaching guys with money because it would negatively affect his own recruiting. Makes it a lot tougher to land a 5 star who's on the fence if you just paid a bunch of kids to come to your school as juniors or seniors to play ahead of guys you actually recruited.

You think an Alabama or Georgia or A&M is going to offer LaPorta or that type of guy who went under the radar millions of dollars? You're being ridiculous.

You're completely grasping at any kind of straw to try and justify your line of thinking. First it was that it's unfair, then it's what if teams poach players, then it's "players already get enough money in the form of a scholarship," then it's "it makes it too hard and complicated for staff to recruit..."

Why don't you just man up and say publicly that the reason you really feel athletes shouldn't be paid is you're an affluent middle aged dude who wants to keep college kids from earning money because it would (in your opinion) taint the nostalgia that you have for college sports. You want to keep kids that you've never met and have zero association with unpaid, but you also want them to continue and go out to perform a dog and pony show strictly for your entertainment (while Mark Emmert makes $295,000 a month from what they do on the field). Bon...kers...

I'd respect you more if you did that because everyone here...except for you apparently...can see it for what it is. I can respect disagreeing with someone, it happens all the time. But not when people start playing musical justifications to hide the real reasons they are against something.

Man, you are waaaay overestimating the money that's out there for these guys, and I heard Kirby Smart mention in an interview that he has no interest in his donor base poaching guys with money because it would negatively affect his own recruiting. Makes it a lot tougher to land a 5 star who's on the fence if you just paid a bunch of kids to come to your school as juniors or seniors to play ahead of guys you actually recruited.

This is Dabo's thought process as well. He doesn't want to shit on the guy he recruited two years ago.

I think the use of NIL to induce guys to leave a program like Iowa (at least in football) will be pretty rare. There were rumblings of Jacobs talking to Ohio and I get that because Ohio has whiffed on recruiting a "cash" player for several cycles. But that is a one off situation. I could see if we ever developed another guy like McNutt him wanting to leave as a senior and play for a contender, but that is another rare case.

This is Dabo's thought process as well. He doesn't want to shit on the guy he recruited two years ago.

I think the use of NIL to induce guys to leave a program like Iowa (at least in football) will be pretty rare. There were rumblings of Jacobs talking to Ohio and I get that because Ohio has whiffed on recruiting a "cash" player for several cycles. But that is a one off situation. I could see if we ever developed another guy like McNutt him wanting to leave as a senior and play for a contender, but that is another rare case.
Yeah it's not going to change much to be honest. There are maybe 15-20 players tops that are going to command any kind of actual money and those are guys Iowa would never sniff anyway, and they damn sure aren't guys that Iowa would develop.

Proctor and Nwankpa have already shown that money isn't everything to these guys which I don't think enough people consider.

It might be a pissing match over players among Georgia, Bama, A&M, and OSU, but that's nothing we ever need to be worried about.

Literally never happens.

Try again.

Using the word “conceivably” has never strengthened one’s argument.

There are always a few each year that join something like the G-League Ignite, Lamelo Ball played in New Zealand, etc. It happens.

These coaches get paid millions. They have a ton of staffers and assistants. I'm not too worried about adding a little something to their plates. If they don't like it I'm sure others will embrace and those that don't will fall behind and have nobody else to blame.
Coaches are also professionals....maybe they make too much....but they are professionals.

Again, you're assuming this is going to happen, and it would happen anyway money or no money.

You think an Alabama or Georgia or A&M is going to offer LaPorta or that type of guy who went under the radar millions of dollars? You're being ridiculous.

You're completely grasping at any kind of straw to try and justify your line of thinking. First it was that it's unfair, then it's what if teams poach players, then it's "players already get enough money in the form of a scholarship," then it's "it makes it too hard and complicated for staff to recruit..."

Why don't you just man up and say publicly that the reason you really feel athletes shouldn't be paid is you're an affluent middle aged dude who wants to keep college kids from earning money because it would (in your opinion) taint the nostalgia that you have for college sports. You want to keep kids that you've never met and have zero association with unpaid, but you also want them to continue and go out to perform a dog and pony show strictly for your entertainment (while Mark Emmert makes $295,000 a month from what they do on the field). Bon...kers...

I'd respect you more if you did that because everyone here...except for you apparently...can see it for what it is. I can respect disagreeing with someone, it happens all the time. But not when people start playing musical justifications to hide the real reasons they are against something.
I can't really go into to much detail, but it is a bigger problem than you think. Coming from what I know on this and who I have heard it from. I know that answer will give you no satisfaction, but I know it is making the coach's jobs harder....certainly the non-blue bloods. That is all I can say more on the topic. The only thing I think we can hope for is regulation of NIL at some point and the sooner, the better. But, I'm not sure that is going to happen or not. Again, the problem is not just potential poaching, it is also fighting to get them into the program in the first placed when they get outbid.

I think basketball is where we'll really see that sort of thing play out. The turnover amongst the top tier teams is more with the 1 and done kids and guys transfers. Guys like Calipari, Self and Pearl will literally do whatever the hell they think they can to get a kid they want. But we are only talking about a small handfull of kids a yr

I think basketball is where we'll really see that sort of thing play out. The turnover amongst the top tier teams is more with the 1 and done kids and guys transfers. Guys like Calipari, Self and Pearl will literally do whatever the hell they think they can to get a kid they want. But we are only talking about a small handfull of kids a yr
And those guys are all one-and doners that Iowa would never have to worry about anyway. Like with football, there's just a very small handful of schools who will fight it out over a small number of players.

As far as existing college players getting poached, let's say there's some wildly underrated player who comes out as a freshman and takes the world by storm. If he's worth say, a million bucks to a Duke or Kentucky donor, he'll be gone to the league anyway. I don't see it as being much of a factor.

Latest posts