B1G Expansion East?!?

One of the things I question is the timing of this move, one would think something like this would be done during the off season. But I find it ironic that this move comes not long after the ACC added Notre Dame. My theory is that move by the ACC ticked Delaney off so he went after Maryland. I think Rutgers has always been in the plans but there has been no rush to add them until Notre Dame finally caved in and joined. But after Notre Dame was added to the ACC Delaney went out to find a school to steal from the ACC and he found himself a dance partner in a financially strapped Maryland. So the message to the ACC & Notre Dame is you want to move into B1G country then we are taking Baltimore & DC from you, oh and btw we are taking the New York market as well.

I might be wrong about this, it is just a theory. But it does make you wonder what is going on behind closed doors.

One of the things I question is the timing of this move, one would think something like this would be done during the off season. But I find it ironic that this move comes not long after the ACC added Notre Dame. My theory is that move by the ACC ticked Delaney off so he went after Maryland. I think Rutgers has always been in the plans but there has been no rush to add them until Notre Dame finally caved in and joined. But after Notre Dame was added to the ACC Delaney went out to find a school to steal from the ACC and he found himself a dance partner in a financially strapped Maryland. So the message to the ACC & Notre Dame is you want to move into B1G country then we are taking Baltimore & DC from you, oh and btw we are taking the New York market as well.

I might be wrong about this, it is just a theory. But it does make you wonder what is going on behind closed doors.

I think it has more to do with FSU and Clemson than Notre Dame. I think the Big 10 has wanted Maryland for a while but it took FSU and Clemson looking at leaving for the Big 12 for Maryland to realize how screwed they'd be if that happened. Much like Nebraska didn't want to wait for Texas to leave the Big 12 to move to the Big 10, Maryland doesn't want to wait for those two schools to leave the ACC to leave.

It would make sense for the Big 12 to try to get Florida State. Not sure the SEC would take FSU. They have a gentlemen's agreement not to add teams from states they are already in. So Florida would have to "allow" FSU into the conference.
As far as Texas is concerned, everything depends on how patient they are with the Longhorn network. It's a joke right now, but if they still feel it will take off, then they will hold on. I'm not sure about the details of the contract, but I'm sure they are making money off of it no matter what right now. But if they are looking long term, I'm sure they could make a boat load of money by moving west also.
The Pac 12 could try to land Oklahoma and one of the Texas teams, and grab KSU and KU for that matter if they really felt like they had to get to 16, but they need Texas if they want to make any real money. Outside of the Big 12, I don't see a lot of options for the Pac 12 to expand.

The Pac 12 is in a unique situation as the Rocky Mountains separates them from the rest of the world without any real competition. So I do not think the Pac 12 has to expand, no one can touch the Pac 12, the B1G is not going to go after USC or UCLA. IMO, they are the most stable conference outside of the B1G athletically and academically. I think you are right about the Longhorn Network, once Texas sees how big of a flop it really is then I can see them selling it off and looking to join either the Pac 12 or the B1G. Yes, I said the B1G as I still think there is a mutual attraction between the B1G and Texas. I think the only thing keeping Texas out of the B1G is Baylor. I really do not think either the Pac 12 or B1G want Oklahoma or either Kansas schools. You cannot take Kansas without Kansas State and Oklahoma (and KSU) are not good fits for either conference academically.

I know, it's a money decision, Rutgers and Maryland interns me about as much as purdont interests me. As a fan, money and market share aside, this move blows for me. Not excited about this for our conference like I was for the corn humpers.

I agree MHA, as a fan neither of these schools excite me much playing them. But I do like to see more money going to the B1G and to Iowa and that is what this move is all about.

The Pac 12 is in a unique situation as the Rocky Mountains separates them from the rest of the world without any real competition. So I do not think the Pac 12 has to expand, no one can touch the Pac 12, the B1G is not going to go after USC or UCLA. IMO, they are the most stable conference outside of the B1G athletically and academically. I think you are right about the Longhorn Network, once Texas sees how big of a flop it really is then I can see them selling it off and looking to join either the Pac 12 or the B1G. Yes, I said the B1G as I still think there is a mutual attraction between the B1G and Texas. I think the only thing keeping Texas out of the B1G is Baylor. I really do not think either the Pac 12 or B1G want Oklahoma or either Kansas schools. You cannot take Kansas without Kansas State and Oklahoma (and KSU) are not good fits for either conference academically.

I agree, the Pac 12 is very stable, the only reason for them to expand is money, therefore, they would need to get into Texas. A lot of people around here hate the idea of Texas joining the Big 10. I do not, because the only way they could join is to become an equal partner. It would me better recruiting, a lot more money for the conference, and a relevent athletic school in multiple sports. However, I don't know how long the Big 10 will stay at 14, but Texas would be worth waiting for IMO.

MHA, we would all love to have Notre Dame and I am sure Delaney would as well. But as long as Notre Dame thinks they can survive on their own in football then they will never join a conference in football.

Rutgers being in NJ loaded with Talent, just waiting for a excuse to use, to keep the top kids home and joining the BT would be just that excuse. as as lot of NJ kids go to BT schools. and Rutgers is 9-1 and ranked in the top 20 of the BCS.
Maryland is loaded with talent and with them joining the BT, might be just the incentive they need to keep the top kids home, neither school will be down that long, this will do more damage to PSU.
this year alone, Maryland has 11 4* players and 3 in the top 150, even if they keep just 4 out of the 11 that pretty much = what Iowa gets alltogether each year
looking at NJ, there are 15 4* and 1 5* kids with 8 of them in the top 150
again Rutgers got 2 to stay home 1 a top 150 player, PSU also got 2 from NJ, 1 a top 150 kid
these schools are sittingt in the middle of a major recruiting ground of talent
OSU GOT THE 5* kid. and Miami managed to get the #2 kid in QB Olsen. to think Rutgers will be a doormat is wrong as that state has 41 players rated 3* or better, and they still have 2 4*'s uncommited one beinfg a DE who is rated the 3rd best instate prospect

There are rumors floating around that Georgia Tech and UNC are in play also. Not sure how reliable that information is, but if we got UNC out of this, that would be pretty good. Georgia Tech...meh.

There are rumors floating around that Georgia Tech and UNC are in play also. Not sure how reliable that information is, but if we got UNC out of this, that would be pretty good. Georgia Tech...meh.
This is what I have heard also. I think that I would prefer BC and Virginia, but whatevs. I thought that Delany said he wouldn't expand for expansion's sake. So much for that.

This is what I have heard also. I think that I would prefer BC and Virginia, but whatevs. I thought that Delany said he wouldn't expand for expansion's sake. So much for that.

I like BC also, but I think there is some desire to move South, which I understand. It sounds like Rutgers is going to happen, but I would much rather see, BC, UNC, and VA Tech, or GA Tech or somebody else further south. Actually, I was fine with 12, but that's not happening, so let's get somebody good out of this crap.

Looks like Rutgers will be announcing tomorrow:

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN Rutgers will announce move to Big Ten on Tuesday, sources told @ESPN

Latest posts