B1G Expansion East?!?

VenturaAce

Why again? I know the standard response is TV $ but seriously, I could not tell you one good thing about Maryland football or much less Rutgers football.

I think this expansion stuff has just gone too far. Expand to 12 with Nebraska, Notre Dame or even Misery made sense, but this chapter is just non-sensical. B1G product will just be watered down with a lot of games where neither teams knows much about each other and will play again 3 years later, no sense of rivalry at all, and yet we lose games against Wisky and Illinois...all so we can play in a half empty game in....College Park, MD or Piscataway, NJ. I just don't get it.

I hope the media reports are pre-mature.

THE COLLEGE presidents don't care about sports all they see is big money as both are Land Grant institution which 9 figure $ close to a HALF A BILLION DOLLARS per team each year. by comparison TV and FB revenue is just chicken feed in comparison, who knows this might work to Iowa's benefit since they are in the EAST, Wiscy and the Illini just might be switched to the legends division to make room for Maryland and Rutgers to join the leaders division

who knows this might work to Iowa's benefit since they are in the EAST, Wiscy and the Illini just might be switched to the legends division to make room for Maryland and Rutgers to join the leaders division
So Ohio State can roll the pissant division every year?

If this stops here, it shows a bit of weakness on Delaney's part. He could have had both schools before and this would include a much better deal for MD.

Rutgers seems like the BE school that nobody else rading the BE wanted. So Delaney really needs to pull two more. UVA is a no-brainer with this group. I know GT wants in, but they would be out on an island. UNC would still be the real prize, but I don't see it.

The way this is looking, 4 team pods might be the most equitable route. As it sits right now, an East West split would not be immediately fair unless UM went to the East. But them when PSU got through their stuff, it probably wouldn't be fair again.

If this stops here, it shows a bit of weakness on Delaney's part. He could have had both schools before and this would include a much better deal for MD.

Rutgers seems like the BE school that nobody else rading the BE wanted. So Delaney really needs to pull two more. UVA is a no-brainer with this group. I know GT wants in, but they would be out on an island. UNC would still be the real prize, but I don't see it.

A big reason for this is because Rutgers means more to the BTN than to any other conference and their copycat networks. New York has the largest fan base of Rutgers alum and of the small amount in NYC that care about college football the majority of them are Rutgers fans. The BTN is not out to win a ratings battle but once they bring Rutgers in they will be able to charge the cable & satellite companies the premium amount to carry the BTN. NYC brings a ton of televisions to the BTN and so does New Jersey. The same thing applies to Maryland, they bring the Baltimore and DC markets with them. The end result is more money for everybody in the Big Ten, including Iowa.

A big reason for this is because Rutgers means more to the BTN than to any other conference and their copycat networks. New York has the largest fan base of Rutgers alum and of the small amount in NYC that care about college football the majority of them are Rutgers fans. The BTN is not out to win a ratings battle but once they bring Rutgers in they will be able to charge the cable & satellite companies the premium amount to carry the BTN. NYC brings a ton of televisions to the BTN and so does New Jersey. The same thing applies to Maryland, they bring the Baltimore and DC markets with them. The end result is more money for everybody in the Big Ten, including Iowa.

In my opinion most of the tradition we had in the Big 10 died when we went to 12. Maybe a move like this makes it so we can play Wisconsin every year again? Who knows, but if this move puts more money in Iowa's pocket, I'm okay with it. I still think the ultimate goal is 16, so hopefully the Big 10 can add a couple of better names with their last two.

On a side note, at what point do the ACC and Big 12 start worrying? The Big 12 feels good at 10, but if everyone starts expanding, does the PAC 12 try to raid the Big 12 again. Then does the Big 12 go after the ACC? Or is the Big 12 on the bottom here? Time will tell. Conference realignment just won't die.

On a side note, at what point do the ACC and Big 12 start worrying? The Big 12 feels good at 10, but if everyone starts expanding, does the PAC 12 try to raid the Big 12 again. Then does the Big 12 go after the ACC? Or is the Big 12 on the bottom here? Time will tell. Conference realignment just won't die.

The Big 12 will be fine as long as they let Texas run things. If Texas ever decides to leave the Big 12 would not survive, but right now Texas has their own network and the Big 12 is the only conference that will put up with it. The ACC and the Big East has to be worried, both conferences are premier basketball conferences and right now football is where all the money is. There is a big reason why the ACC lags way behind the SEC and B1G in television revenues, outside of Florida State not many people care about ACC football and I think it is only a matter of time before Florida State joins the SEC.

The Big 12 will be fine as long as they let Texas run things. If Texas ever decides to leave the Big 12 would not survive, but right now Texas has their own network and the Big 12 is the only conference that will put up with it. The ACC and the Big East has to be worried, both conferences are premier basketball conferences and right now football is where all the money is. There is a big reason why the ACC lags way behind the SEC and B1G in television revenues, outside of Florida State not many people care about ACC football and I think it is only a matter of time before Florida State joins the SEC.

It would make sense for the Big 12 to try to get Florida State. Not sure the SEC would take FSU. They have a gentlemen's agreement not to add teams from states they are already in. So Florida would have to "allow" FSU into the conference.
As far as Texas is concerned, everything depends on how patient they are with the Longhorn network. It's a joke right now, but if they still feel it will take off, then they will hold on. I'm not sure about the details of the contract, but I'm sure they are making money off of it no matter what right now. But if they are looking long term, I'm sure they could make a boat load of money by moving west also.
The Pac 12 could try to land Oklahoma and one of the Texas teams, and grab KSU and KU for that matter if they really felt like they had to get to 16, but they need Texas if they want to make any real money. Outside of the Big 12, I don't see a lot of options for the Pac 12 to expand.

Looks like it's all but done now. Maryland is going to be #13.

Rittenberg/Bennett@ESPN_BigTen Pending B1G approval, becomes 13th member RT @McMurphyESPN: Maryland's regents unanimously approves move to Big Ten, source tells @ESPN

Maryland and Rutgers do nothing for the big. What a poor decision IMO.

MHA,

see above.

Latest posts