B10 denies Brust's waiver

Not a dumb rule. The NCAA and the conferences weren't created to give kids a chance to play for coaches. They don't care who is coaching which school, they care about protecting the schools. They operate under the premise that kids play for a school not a particular coach, so it doesn't matter to them if a coach is fired.

It would be ridiculous to put stipulations on these types of rules such as you can't do it, but if the coach is fired you can etc....... Why have rules then.
I agree

+2 Freddy. As far as I'm concerned I don't want him back. To those that think this is an unfair rule, hey he has not been prevented from signing with another D1 school, just not one in the Big Ten. Last I checked there is still the ACC, Big East, Big 12, SEC, Pac 10 etc.
Perhaps Ben and his family should stop whining and use this as a life lesson. Honor your commitments young man, or, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!

I have a question re this rule.

Is it just that he can't be on scholarship at another B10 school his first year? Or did it mean paying his way his entire B10 career if he wanted to go to Wisconsin?

How do you know Ben is whining? Have you talked to him recently? Nobody here has any idea what is going on, so why don't just let this play out? All this animosity towards an 18 year old we've never met is just childish. Maybe this whole experience will teach the entire board a life lesson about being judgmental, particularly when you don't have 99% of the facts.

i dont understand what the problem is. nothing iowa did or could have done haf affected his situation in any way.

the only issue i see is that recruits may be a tad hesitant to sign with a big ten team.

How do you know Ben is whining? Have you talked to him recently? Nobody here has any idea what is going on, so why don't just let this play out? All this animosity towards an 18 year old we've never met is just childish. Maybe this whole experience will teach the entire board a life lesson about being judgmental, particularly when you don't have 99% of the facts.
Alot of people need to learn to take a real hard look in the mirror.

Alot of people need to learn to take a real hard look in the mirror.

Yes, they do and it is not the poster you qouted...

Not one person on this board knows what Ben is thinking. Yet, many on here seem to have very vivid imaginations (Likely due to a lot of practice in other activities) and seem to want to tell everyone else how someone else feels.

Good rule. Correct outcome. Good luck in some other conference, Ben. As you go on in life, you'll learn that you can't always blame someone else for unexpected things that happen to you.

I agree its a good rule and the correct outcome. But have we heard ANY direct statement from Brust or family that they're "blaming someone else"? I think it's healthy to remain a bit skeptical about second-hand anonymous information.

He can go to Cal and live in one if the most beautiful areas of the country, go to one of the very best public universities in the world, and learn under a fantastic coach and good guy. I am sorry, but that is way better than going to some second choice school in the same league as the school you jilted.

A clean break is always best.

Exactly. Where Ben goes to school affects our mood. It affects his LIFE. I understand why the rule is in place, but I think the you should err in favor of the athlete. They are affected much more than the institution is. Here, I think the Big 10 needs to take into account the situation, but they didn't. At the end of the day, Brust still has plenty of good choices, but I would be upset if I was him.
Let's see he COMMITTED to the University of Iowa, we said, when he committed that we would give him a FREE 4-year education, possibly 5 years. It isn't like we are abusing the student athlete folks, how many of you would of liked your college degree for free? He knew the dangers of signing with any school, you look at Lick's 3 year run and if you think anything but he is in trouble you were sadly mistaken. He and his family knew the consequences, learn to live with them. He can still get a FREE education at some other quality institution, I do not feel the least bit sorry for him. I wrote many a check to pay for my schooling.

I feel it is a good rule. The last thing the big ten needs is for other member schools coming in on each other whenever there is a coaching change and scavenging off of each other. That would lead to infighting within the big 10 and that is the last thing the big 10 needs. Is it fare? Well I guess one could argue that either way. I personally don’t really think anybody got shafted here. It’s not like Iowa has left him out in the cold. He could still honor his commitment to Iowa, or he could move on to another conference. He still has options. As for how he and his family feel about it who cares. Either he gets over it and comes to play at Iowa, or he moves on to another school. At this point it’s all just water under the bridge. I just think it’s time for him to decide so that he and the school can move on with or without him. Just make a decision already.

Iowa did everything they could in this case. It was a league policy and nothing more. Case over. Iowa did nothing wrong and everything right. I am glad the policy is in place just so other teams cannot poach players in cases like this. Players can go anywhere they like, just not to other Big 10 teams. If Brust wants to play in the Big 10 it will have to be with Iowa, otherwise his parents will have to foot the bill. If they can afford it so be it, that is their choice.

I have moved on and really don't care anymore. If he comes to Iowa that is fine with me, if he doesn't that is fine with me.

Let's see he COMMITTED to the University of Iowa, we said, when he committed that we would give him a FREE 4-year education, possibly 5 years. It isn't like we are abusing the student athlete folks, how many of you would of liked your college degree for free? He knew the dangers of signing with any school, you look at Lick's 3 year run and if you think anything but he is in trouble you were sadly mistaken. He and his family knew the consequences, learn to live with them. He can still get a FREE education at some other quality institution, I do not feel the least bit sorry for him. I wrote many a check to pay for my schooling.

That is a terrible and illogical argument. You also can't ball. If you could ball and help lure 13,000 fans to pay $25 tickets to come to Carver and cable advertisers to pay for commercials because of TV sets so that the University can make money, then you to could get a free education.

The kid is getting a free education no matter what, because he has some rare and in-demand skills. Thus the fact we offered him a "free education" has no bearing in whether this is "fair." The fact is the Big 10 is essentially telling an 18 year old he can't make the decision that is right for him. That I have a problem with. He is a victim of unforeseen circumstances, and now the kid can't play in the major conference that is close to home. I'm not saying there is not merit to the rule, but I feel for him and his situation.

Exactly. Plus, college basketball is big business. The NCAA and the conferences will always do what's best for their interest ahead of the athlete's interest - always.

Maybe the circumstances were unforeseen, but they should not have been unforeseeable. I mean the guy did sign with a record-setting coach when it comes to negative on-court results.

The kid signed committed in the summer and signed in the fall, long before anyone realistically thought Lick was going to get canned. If the kid doesn't want to play for Fran then so be it, that is not the bargain the kid signed up for. Just let the kid live his life. Forcing him to go across the country to play in a major conference is just unnecessary.

I think the Big 10 is enforcing this rule simply out of fear of the "slippery-slope" and prefers the bright-line rule it has in place. Unfortunately in Brust's case it appears the bright-line is a little harsh. As another post said this is Brust's life, just let him go where he and his family think he will have the best student-athlete experience.

That is a terrible and illogical argument. You also can't ball. If you could ball and help lure 13,000 fans to pay $25 tickets to come to Carver and cable advertisers to pay for commercials because of TV sets so that the University can make money, then you to could get a free education.

The kid is getting a free education no matter what, because he has some rare and in-demand skills. Thus the fact we offered him a "free education" has no bearing in whether this is "fair." The fact is the Big 10 is essentially telling an 18 year old he can't make the decision that is right for him. That I have a problem with. He is a victim of unforeseen circumstances, and now the kid can't play in the major conference that is close to home. I'm not saying there is not merit to the rule, but I feel for him and his situation.
Hay thanks for the comments...and the reputation bash. NICE :D

WRONG. The Big 10 is telling ALL preps that sign a NLI that the chips aren't all in their hands nothing more.And "fair" should be removed from the dictionary because there's no such thing.

Latest posts