Awesome!

Every time they got close one of the Hawks put the dagger in them. Great job guys! Did you notice the difference in crowd size between game 1 and game 2. MSG will be behind the Hawks Thursday night baby!!!

Every time they got close one of the Hawks put the dagger in them. Great job guys! Did you notice the difference in crowd size between game 1 and game 2. MSG will be behind the Hawks Thursday night baby!!!

Yep I noticed that. But it seemed the Terps had a good contingency as well.

I think fewer minutes for JO (only 7 tonight and 10 versus UVA) is what stood out to me.
I really think this is a big key. Im not saying the only thing, but a big one. Fran stuck with a guy that shot .267 from three way to long. I sorry, but this was not a slump. Its a poor shooter. Im glad Eric may is getting his due, he earned it this season. Josh just hasent got the job done all season.

I would like to see the player minutes throughout the year. Seems to me that he is rotating as much as he's been all year.

This is a lot easier to do when Marble is putting up 20 a night consistently. When he's scoring 2 points on the road at Wisky and you're forced to run plays for JO, it's not easy to stick to a tighter rotation.

They are playing and not feeling pressure - that's great but... the question is why?

I did like May's dagger 3 - good for him.

What leads anyone to believe this team would have been a first round exit?
I am NOT saying they would have been a first or even second round exit. BUT .. .. This team has gotten more confident with each victory. The team that played ISU/SB is not the same team that played UVa/Md. They are finding the confidence within themselves to play good teams on the road/at a neutral site and WIN!!! If the team that played MD plays Mich St., I am confident the outcome would be different.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the ride!

GO HAWKS!!!

Not many teams get to say they won their last game of the season in college basketball. Not many teams get to say they played in April. These are kind of cool things.

What's best though, is that a loss just won't be that painful. I'm not as emotionally invested in these games as I am during the regular season, which kind of makes it more fun.

I totally agree with your second paragraph. I'm enjoying the extra games, the extra wins, but I'm not going to freak out if they lose. Probably just a good way to be a Hawk fan in general..

I would like to see the player minutes throughout the year. Seems to me that he is rotating as much as he's been all year.

He is still going 10 deep but two noticeable tweaks:
1) Less of the wholesale line changes, where there isn't a single, reliable scoring option on the floor for extended minutes. He's mixing the B-squad in and out of the game while leaving 1 or 2 starters (usually Marble or White) on the floor. This at least gives him some leadership to keep the offense moving.

2) He's quicker with the hook before the lead is completely blown. Those that perform stay a bit longer, those that don't, sit. Case in point vs Terps - Clemons (17 minutes) and McCabe (15) produced, Oglesby (7) and Gabe (6) did not.

As another said, above, it's easier to slim down the rotation when you have obvious options that are playing well -- Marble, Woodbury, May and even McCabe have all significantly elevated their game over the last month. That consistent production just didn't exist up until that point. There were many nights where Fran was grabbing straws with the rotations to find who was "on".

Fran seems to have scaled down his rotation, too bad he didn't think of doing this a bit earlier in the season.

Fran used 10 players last night, eight of whom played at least 11 minutes (Gabe had 6 and Josh 7). The minutes among the starters was sort of surprising; overall I thought Fran did a nice job of matching up whoever Maryland put on the floor:

May 36
Marble 33
White 31
Woodbury 29!
Basabe 15
Clemmons 17

During warm-ups Mike G didn't appear to be able to cut hard on his foot. His 11 minutes were valuable, though, in spelling Dev and Sapp. He was credited with 4 points, an assist and a rebound. He did a very nice job on defense as well.

I think one thing that we all can agree on FRAN CAN COACH! He has also proven so far that he knows how to recruit the type of players he wants.

He has these kids playing their hearts out right now. Maybe they are not playing the "best" talent the nation has to offer, but they are winning!

Last night, as many have pointed out, he has gotten better with his rotations. This show's that Fran can and will adapt his coaching to what is needed to win. This is something Hawk fans have not seen for some time!

I also like how Fran seems to know when to switch his D up. I thought that his D switches came at the perfect time and were very effective in winning this game.

GO HAWKS!

Latest posts