Austin Blythe

It wasn't so much KF getting him and Brands losing him, Austin choose to play football, if he wanted to wrestle Brands would have taken him, so it was his choice and not one coach getting him over another.

Yeah, I actually had no idea if Brands wanted him. I don't know what Iowa's HW depth is. Blythe has the foot work of a wrestler that is much lighter. I'm thinking he will make a great guard on the OL!

I had a chance to watch Austin this week at the state tournament and I walked away thinking his future is bright. First of all, the kid has a great build, is powerful and has great foot work. This kid will play in the NFL once his Iowa career is over.

Blythe recorded the most falls in Iowa HS wrestling history for a career...pretty dang impressive. fist three time state champ HWT in more than 20 years...2nd as a frosh, 1st, 1st, 1st

I think it's pretty impressive when a freshman or a soph. places in Wrestling. Then, to win 3 times in a row - that's pretty salty.

I have watched him the last 4 years as i am a Wburg athletics fan. I have been very impressed with the way he has developed. He looks to have a bit of a mean streak now which he did not early on. He has all the ability. I hope he does well as a Hawkeye.

I love it when we have guys in the trenches with the wrestling background. Such guys tend to be that much tougher ... and, they also know how to use their hands well and they appreciate technique. Those are also key when it comes to line play.

Assuming the kid has an excellent work-ethic ... and I bet he does ... I'm optimistic concerning the development trajectory his career will take.

Of course, what is particularly cool is that the level of competition on the Iowa OL will be VERY high. In order to EARN playing time, he's going to get mentored from some really smart and talented guys. Tobin, Boffeli, MacMillan, Heiar, Scherff, and Walsh will all help keep the bar very high (and Clark and McMillan could be making "noise" by then too).

I had a chance to watch Austin this week at the state tournament and I walked away thinking his future is bright. First of all, the kid has a great build, is powerful and has great foot work. This kid will play in the NFL once his Iowa career is over.

This. The NFL pays much more than pro-wrestling......wait, there is no pro-wrestling (not including WWE or MMA)

I can't believe Ferentz got this buy and Brands didn't. He is a beast!

Football - 70,000 - 100,000 screaming fans. Wrestling - 9,000 if you are lucky.
Football - Million Dollar Contracts. Wrestling - $100,000 for a very select few.
Football - Endorsement deals with Nike. Wrestling - Niche Market low dollar deals.

Football - Household Names. Wrestling - Can anyone outside of Iowa name one?

That enough?

Austin is one of the top HWT recruits in the country this year.

He was asked about playing football and wrestling. He comment was something like "If I did both, I could be good at both. But, if I do one, I can be great."

I look for good things out of this kid. With exception of McLaughlin (for one match versus MSU), the last Hawkeye to play both was John Ostendorf. (Please correct me if I am wrong there!)

Austin is one of the top HWT recruits in the country this year.

He was asked about playing football and wrestling. He comment was something like "If I did both, I could be good at both. But, if I do one, I can be great."

I look for good things out of this kid. With exception of McLaughlin (for one match versus MSU), the last Hawkeye to play both was John Ostendorf. (Please correct me if I am wrong there!)

I'm not sure about Ostendorf, but his dad was our feed salesman, and he was at the feed store one day when I was with my dad (I may have been 6 or 7) and I remember walking in. I had been there often so I always just went straight to the pop machine for a glass bottle Pepsi, but when I walked in that day I remember stopping in my tracks due the giant next to the pop machine and I may or may not have wet my pants (It was a while ago, I can't recall for sure).

Blythe recorded the most falls in Iowa HS wrestling history for a career...pretty dang impressive. fist three time state champ HWT in more than 20 years...2nd as a frosh, 1st, 1st, 1st

Only HWT in the finals four times...ever. Astounding. If Blythe doesn't make it to the NFL I think a lot of people will wonder if there is an Olympic Gold Medal out there that could've been his.

He made the right choice though, imo.

Watched the finals match saturday night. first time ever laying eyes on this kid. i came away very, very impressed. explosiveness, great feet, and a mean streak. Intangibles+KF=all-american.

Latest posts